ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   Am I a jerk? (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/46454-am-i-jerk.html)

badna0 05-06-2009 09:25 AM

Am I a jerk?

Trickster:

So I got angel-winged the other day, and the character asked me to hunt 3 illegal cds. No problem, 15 mins later it was done.

After that, she asked for the 5 letters of each type. No problem again.
we said our goodbyes and then I went my way.

About two weeks later she pms me and says, "help me pls I'm building a fox" okay...

"what do I build?" and I recommended 1144 pure DA. Next she says "can you dig me soap?" - for the original character, who still hadn't leveled much at all. Then she asked me to plvl her. Hi, I'm a real person, not your slave.

Now I don't mind doing the occasional good deed, etc. but I thought it was a bit much, it's not like she was asking for help with, say, kaboom or don giuvanni, it just seemed like laziness on her part.

Or am I just a jerk for not helping her?

Strikegundam 05-06-2009 09:31 AM

not really..
i always want to help people do things..
but most of time, they just want more and more....

KNEEofJUSTICE 05-06-2009 10:59 AM

No, you're not a jerk.

VorpalBunny 05-06-2009 11:32 AM

I find that the good players tend to try and repay you for your help in due time. The ones who keep asking you for favors over and over again are the ones who are weak willed and end up quitting two weeks later. This generalization is sad but often true. With that said, no, you are not a jerk. You're charitable and you help people out. The other person may end up being a jerk if they keep badgering you for errands they don't bother to do themselves.

Mazuiko 05-06-2009 12:17 PM

Definitely not a jerk for it and definitely laziness on her part. o.x

Torikakae 05-06-2009 12:25 PM

I would've stopped helping at the 5 letters of each type part.

Milkshakes 05-06-2009 12:34 PM

I hate people who do that too, seriously, who being told, "Hy find me letters me sit bak hir and relak"?
Abandon that poor, useless thing.

james 05-06-2009 02:53 PM

Not at all a jerk. 8D

Though I must say powerleveling her probably would've been easy. I can get a character from 5 => 50 in about an hour, at the old SF3. I'm looking for new places now... >.>

Vaizado 05-06-2009 03:03 PM

If I ever asked like that I'd pay someone like 1m for each item they help me get.

SilentSaber 05-06-2009 03:31 PM

You're only a jerk if something "cruel" makes you happy: I am a jerk.

Coffee 05-06-2009 04:16 PM

You aren't a jerk, you are a helpful person that got taken advantage of. :/

RandomCrazyBuns 05-06-2009 08:45 PM

Aye you're cool, just leave the lazy bum on her own. Or do a 'timely EE'

slushies 05-06-2009 09:26 PM

Eh... I would just ignore... they are asking a bit too much. Well, that's what I would do anyways..
Sure sound like a jerk now. But you? Probably not.

ChazZTheSpazZ 05-06-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcfalcon (Post 822724)
Aye you're cool, just leave the lazy bum on her own. Or do a 'timely EE'

I've done that more than once when someone tried to get more 'help' from me than they deserved. XD

Javier 05-06-2009 09:40 PM

Oh hey flicky !

I would've done the same as well, random errands are okay but asking someone to powerlevel you is just...laziness on your part. Do not want to entertain.

Yumidesu 05-08-2009 11:33 AM

I can't remember the infamous saying for this, but:

If you do something for someone, they'll ask for more and more and more. If you teach them/guide them, they will become independent and do other things on their on and be less dependent on others.

Torikakae 05-08-2009 11:49 AM

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime"

You mean that saying?

Metty 05-08-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 824415)
"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime"

You mean that saying?

I prefer "Give a man a fire he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire he will be warm for a life time."

Kainami 05-10-2009 07:26 AM

Not a jerk.

Jerks like me would:
Only get items for someone if we were friends for a long time and I liked them.
Would usually get the items WITH that person, or not at all. (If I felt like it)
Would not plevel them unless under rare circumstances.

Hey hey. I'm a busy man. >.> Not charity for beggars.

Milano 05-10-2009 09:34 AM

Yeah.. they're looking for an easy way out. The best way for them to respect the game and their characters is for them to level them themselves without taking the easy way out. You have a life, you have things to do.. I could see if it was a really close friend and everything, but if it's just some random person you helped once before, then they're being the jerk for assuming you're their 'slave' to help them whenever they don't feel like doing something..

If you help them once, then you did a good deed. If they assume you're going to help them twice, and you do, then more than likely it will keep occurring.