Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE
Default The ballad of the used fridge

Today I went shopping for things I find necessary to survive, the most important being coffee. I wanted to purchase a small portable percolater but apparently those just aren't common anymore, so I bought a few other vital items like clippers to maintain my beautiful military-grade high and tight haircut.

Anyway, walking around earlier I came across the local pawn shop. I'm in the market for a portable fridge for my dormroom, despite what I know about pawn shops (please refrain from replying that pawn shops are generally ripoffs, yes we know this is common knowledge) but going into this one was really surprising.

Off to the side they had 15" and 17" computer monitors for sale. The 15" monitors were, I kid you not, 10 bucks an inch. $150. The 17" were $200. Never mind you can go to Wal Mart or buy even larger sizes of TFTs off the internet for cheaper - wait, did I say new TFTs were cheaper?

The place was selling used, beat-up, generic CRT computer monitors for those prices, I kid you not.

I spotted the small fridges in the back, on my way there I noticed the televisions on the side shelves and their prices. All of them were CRT, standard definition, models ranging from five to ten years old. The cheapest one was 13 inches, made in 2001, and $75. A larger, somewhat newer generic 27" SD CRT TV was $350 - it didn't even have RCA inputs, just RF. Oookay.

The fridges in the back themselves, used and filthy, are for sale at about the same prices you can get them new, except for a banged-up old brown mini fridge that looked like it had saw many years in a dingy hotel. The inside was filthy, but nothing I couldn't clean up. No telling how much longer it'd last, though. The price? $40. Yeah, what a bargain. I told them $15 max.

"No", of course, was the reply. I explained the crappy condition of the unit and they pointed out one of the newer ones that was $69. "The same model goes for new at Wal Mart and it has a warranty," was my reply. I was invited to go buy one from them, so I left the shop.

It kind of makes me wonder how this place manages to turn a profit. I realize they buy items, probably from desperate college students and meth users for pennies on the dollar, but the prices they try to resell them at is just insane. Is the broker who prices things there completely clueless about the value of junk or is he counting on completely clueless customers?

Beats me, but they won't be getting my money.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Adura has disabled reputation

It's likely a front for something more organized crime-y. If you never sell your stock, you never seem understocked.

02-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
snake enthusiast
Special
Games
DC Universe OnlineWorld of WarcraftVindictusElsword
Awards Pervert Award

Kongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant future
Guild: Nuclear Family

I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for that.
No warranty, shitty condition.. /facepalm

02-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adura
It's likely a front for something more organized crime-y. If you never sell your stock, you never seem understocked.
I wouldn't go that far, not in a small town like this.

02-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
how i shot gaem?
Games
Trickster Online

Sodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sodacan Send a message via MSN to Sodacan Send a message via Skype™ to Sodacan

Are you looking for the kind of percolater you can use on stovetops or on a fire? Because you can find those at stores that sell camping supplies. We have two different kinds that we use for Scout camps.

02-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you how these places make money by directing you to a business that does the exact same thing, but gets a lot more customers. It's called GameStop.

02-03-2009   #7 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacan
Are you looking for the kind of percolater you can use on stovetops or on a fire? Because you can find those at stores that sell camping supplies. We have two different kinds that we use for Scout camps.
Yeah, but I'm not about to pay $35-$40 for one. I bought one a few years back that I gave to a friend (wish I didn't) that was $6 new.

02-03-2009   #8 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

i'm gonna go with completely clueless customers
talk about alliteration!
har har har

02-03-2009   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Pentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Pentao
Class: (Dagger) Ruin Walker / Rogue Master lt_treasurehunter
Level: 18X / 14X
Guild: Syndicate [Leader]

Hey! A ballad is way more rhythmic than this. And it'd have a refrain somewhere, usually.

This is no ballad! False advertising!

02-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

more like requiem :<

02-03-2009   #11 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBstraCt
more like requiem :<
I stand corrected

02-03-2009   #12 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Shizuru
Class: Force 69 | Fighter 43 lu_eir

Markup prices for the lol...

The buyer would have to be really, really, clueless/desperate/(not smart) to buy something from that shop. '-'

02-03-2009   #13 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adura
I'm leaning towards this too..how small is the town?

It's the nature of my circuitry.

02-03-2009   #14 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyy
I'm leaning towards this too..how small is the town?
let me put it this way

our water supply is a cactus

02-06-2009   #15 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
Yeah, but I'm not about to pay $35-$40 for one. I bought one a few years back that I gave to a friend (wish I didn't) that was $6 new.
You should probably try a thrift store, if you can find one. You'd be amazed at what they have. I got a rice cooker (the kind that runs about $60 new) for $5, and the only problem on it was some cosmetic damage. And I got a decent computer for $10 (which I later scrapped for parts).

02-06-2009   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Pentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura aboutPentao has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
I stand corrected
Wrong, a Requiem is a song for dead people, like a dirge.

This talks nothing of the dead, so you can't call it a Requiem either.

02-06-2009   #17 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi
You should probably try a thrift store, if you can find one. You'd be amazed at what they have. I got a rice cooker (the kind that runs about $60 new) for $5, and the only problem on it was some cosmetic damage. And I got a decent computer for $10 (which I later scrapped for parts).
Wait what, there were decent parts in that $10 computer?

02-07-2009   #18 (permalink)
Special

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentao
Wrong, a Requiem is a song for dead people, like a dirge.

This talks nothing of the dead, so you can't call it a Requiem either.
lrn2personification

02-07-2009   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBstraCt
lrn2personification
The reader does not personify, the writer does, Mongo.

02-07-2009   #20 (permalink)
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentao
The reader does not personify, the writer does, Mongo.
Young'uns these days have no imagination. Have you no feelings for that poor fridge ;_;

Let's have a moment of silence in respect.