Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-01-2008   #1 (permalink)
Awards Event WinnerEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Solemn is on a distinguished road
Angry Those Who Say Games are a Waste of Time

Games are not a waste of time! Here's what happened:

Me: *tappity, tappity*
Brother: *comes in* "You know, now that I'm older, I've realized that games are a waste of time."
Brother: "You really should do something better with your time. Go volunteer at a hospital or something. You'll regret this when you're older. Once you reach the maximum level on that character of yours, you're going to feel so much remorse and come bawling to me..." *snickers*
Me: *stops* "You know what? 'It's the journey that matters, not the destination.' One day, I probably will reach some extreme level and get bored. But at least I had fun doing it. If you're going to come over here preaching your lies, at least follow what you preach, and don't be such a hypocrite! We will all grow old and die eventually, you know, a miserable, lonely death. If that's true, maybe we should listen to you and all stop living!"
Brother: *shocked at my outburst and leaves*

Geez...but I feel much better after venting my feelings.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-01-2008   #2 (permalink)
why so serious?
Special

BatgirlZKE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BatgirlZKE Send a message via MSN to BatgirlZKE Send a message via Yahoo to BatgirlZKE
IGN: SelenaKyle
Class: Cat (Charm) to_entertainer
Level: 123
Guild: Pantsu

Nice retort.
I hate when people say that too...I enjoy it and I don't feel that it's a waste of my time so why should they care?

***Visit G0tham City!*Population*Industry*Transportation***

07-01-2008   #3 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to point out all the other worthless things you could be doing instead:

- being an anti-globalization activist
- volunteering for greenpeace
- protesting against sweatshops
- campaigning for a free tibet
- speaking out for oppressed journalists in communist countries
- volunteering for the united way
- supporting peta

All of these things are colossal wastes of time that will do one of three things: absolutely nothing, land you a criminal record, or allow you to meet some of the worst people this world has to offer. Compared to all of these lost causes, gaming with your spare time makes you a hero. Go ask the dumb kid down the street who appeared on an anti-globalization protest and got pepper sprayed in the face how he's going to find a job in the finance industry with a criminal record. Your family should be thankful you didn't become a hippie.

07-01-2008   #4 (permalink)
Bob
I am Bob.
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TalePerfect WorldRunescape
Awards Retired Division Head

Bob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to behold

Games are a leisure, and leisure is never a waste of time =). It helps you grow internally and makes you happy 8D. And life without happiest is ... sad. /facepalm

07-01-2008   #5 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemn
Games are not a waste of time! Here's what happened:

Brother: *comes in* "You know, now that I'm older, I've realized that games are a waste of time."
Brother: "You really should do something better with your time. Go volunteer at a hospital or something. You'll regret this when you're older. Once you reach the maximum level on that character of yours, you're going to feel so much remorse and come bawling to me..." *snickers*
Me: *stops* "You know what? 'It's the journey that matters, not the destination.' One day, I probably will reach some extreme level and get bored. But at least I had fun doing it. If you're going to come over here preaching your lies, at least follow what you preach, and don't be such a hypocrite! We will all grow old and die eventually, you know, a miserable, lonely death. If that's true, maybe we should listen to you and all stop living!"
Brother: *shocked at my outburst and leaves*

Geez...but I feel much better after venting my feelings.
Woooh~

Good one.

I <3 KUDA

07-01-2008   #6 (permalink)
Awards Event WinnerEvent WinnerSotW Beginner

Solemn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
It's good to point out all the other worthless things you could be doing instead:

- being an anti-globalization activist
- volunteering for greenpeace
- protesting against sweatshops
- campaigning for a free tibet
- speaking out for oppressed journalists in communist countries
- volunteering for the united way
- supporting peta

All of these things are colossal wastes of time that will do one of three things: absolutely nothing, land you a criminal record, or allow you to meet some of the worst people this world has to offer. Compared to all of these lost causes, gaming with your spare time makes you a hero. Go ask the dumb kid down the street who appeared on an anti-globalization protest and got pepper sprayed in the face how he's going to find a job in the finance industry with a criminal record. Your family should be thankful you didn't become a hippie.
Did I ever state that such items are inferior in comparison with playing games? No, of course there are other things to do with my time, but you know what? I have a different opinion of how to spend my time than you, and games are adequate enough for me. There's a reason I'm on these forums. Being a hippie wouldn't be so horrible, either. It just means your beliefs transcend the norm, and you're not afraid to stand up for what you believe.

Last edited by Solemn; 07-01-2008 at 04:38 PM.

07-01-2008   #7 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

Lol, forums are fun indeed.

I <3 KUDA

07-01-2008   #8 (permalink)
Φύλακας πρισμάτων

Zamte will become famous soon enoughZamte will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zamte
IGN: Zamte
Class: Card Master to_cardmaster
Level: 101

Solemn, Vorpal was agreeing with you. He was pointing out that there are a lot of things people look at as "worthwhile" for what they ATTEMPT to do, that never actually accomplish them.

A good example is soup kitchens. I'm all for keeping hungry people fed, but we could be spending our time much better trying to find a way to get those homeless people homes and jobs, and making it so they don't NEED to be fed every day. So in the end that good cause is just an ongoing maintainance. Charity or not, it's not really making any progress towards a better world.

07-01-2008   #9 (permalink)
Pure Nostalgia
Awards Retired Forum Management

sunchip will become famous soon enoughsunchip will become famous soon enough

i don't think gaming is a waste of time if you enjoy what you're doing, it's just some sort of entertainment

if he means all entertainment is a waste of time, well then that's a whole different story D=, but if one was to play overboard and loses his/her life then, well then maybe it can start to be called a waste of time lol

07-01-2008   #10 (permalink)
Go Canada!

Zephy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zephy
IGN: Zephy
Guild: My Harem, [JW]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchip
i don't think gaming is a waste of time if you enjoy what you're doing, it's just some sort of entertainment

if he means all entertainment is a waste of time, well then that's a whole different story D=, but if one was to play overboard and loses his/her life then, well then maybe it can start to be called a waste of time lol

I think this is the key right here.

Thanks to Shnao for the siggy and avatar

07-01-2008   #11 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

If you're on your leisure time, there's nothing wrong with playing whatever video game you want to play. People are allowed their downtime and if you don't like it, whatever.

07-01-2008   #12 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

When people complain to me about my gaming habits, I just say "It's either this or drugs". I always win that arguement~

07-01-2008   #13 (permalink)
<3
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Vaizado will become famous soon enough
IGN: Vaiki

Tell him you'll get to 3rd job before him.

07-01-2008   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Pwntang will become famous soon enoughPwntang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Pwntang
IGN: pumpingheart
Class: guardian
Level: 78
Guild: Fallen

Papa don't preach~ :0

07-01-2008   #15 (permalink)
??
Special

Blue will become famous soon enoughBlue will become famous soon enough
Guild: Debaters

It's not a waste if it's enjoyable.

07-02-2008   #16 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I do think it's a waste of time, but it's MY time so they have no business telling me when I should or should not be productive.

07-02-2008   #17 (permalink)
ZeR
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleDragon Nest

ZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of light

Your brother is right if you're going overboard.

07-02-2008   #18 (permalink)
Rilienthal
Games
MapleStorySD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineZero Online

Strikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Strikegundam
IGN: Natsume

I guess games are ok, if you don't spend most of your time on them...

07-02-2008   #19 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
When people complain to me about my gaming habits, I just say "It's either this or drugs". I always win that arguement~
^Mega lol @ Tori

As long as it's leisure, I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but if and when you start to neglect RL duties just to milk that extra hour for a game, now that's definitely a sign that you'd have to re-evaluate your priorities.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

07-02-2008   #20 (permalink)
Mai
ggFTW Stalker

Mai will become famous soon enoughMai will become famous soon enough
IGN: Galaxies/Meditation

Nothing is a waste of time in your life if you enjoy it, do things that you enjoy yourself. If someone walks up an d says "That's a waste of time" then it's not their thing, and it's not their problem either! If you enjoy it, then it's not a waste!