Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-08-2013   #1 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE
Default I'm done playing musical chairs with ethnic terms.

I'll make this quick.

The current, approved term for someone who is basically not Caucasian is "person of color". Anything else is considered offensive, as our (mostly white) friends over at tumblr will inform you of. Me, I'm done with this crap. You're either white, black, yellow, brown or better yet you're American, European, Central American, Asian, South American, or African (appended to 'of descent' if you're a citizen elsewhere.)

Let's take a step back to the late 1980's.

Take a look.

I rest my case.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-11-2013   #2 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

Now idk why some ppl get so sensitive and worked up over such things, it's beyond me. Umbrella terms like: Oriental, Native American, European, etc. are used to describe people vaguely at first. If it's not right, they will correct you. Or, if it's right, most of the time people like to identify with what descent they are/state they are born in. I don't see anything offensive about this labeling process. I fail to see the same negative connotation that these offended people see. Because ultimately, this labeling logic can also be applied to things like fruits. Fruit is an umbrella term, and in fruits, there are bananas, watermelon, mangos, etc. to be more specific. So why don't they champion fruits' rights too <_>??

There comes a point when one needs to draw a line in trying to equalize certain things. Tbh, some words don't need to be neutralized to the point where it becomes so damn vague that it could mean 10 other things. That isn't moving forward, it's moving backwards. Neil Postman and Martin Luther King Jr. Would shake their heads.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same ppl are offended by gendered terms. Take Spanish for example, makes me wonder if these social justice bloggers are going to denounce the whole language as sexist and oppressive.

It is what it is and this race/ethnic labeling issue is unnecessary tbh. Sometimes we just have to accept that some people with too much free time love to make unnecessary things an issue, even when they're not an issue in the first place and imposing it on others. As long as ppl aren't going around spouting derogatory slurs then it's all good and dandy!!

06-11-2013   #3 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

It's over sensitivity, and it's everywhere. By everywhere, I mean every joke of a problem. RE5's african racism deal? The guy that got fired for his job for some USB joke? Having a 30+ character long acronym to describe people who aren't male or female? The E3 "rape" joke?

All over sensitivity, that is easily thinly veiled by the easy go to taboos of society. Since it's so easy to sway people by emotion void of logic, no one wants to be accused of in general hurting someone else's extremely fragile feeling because they would easily be ruined by the big bad racism, sexist, bigot, whatever word.

It's sickening. Equality is no longer equality, it's a tool for people to use to take advantage of others.

06-11-2013   #4 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why 95% of the time on Tumblr I want to throw a rock at them because they're either equally as inconsiderate or champion "reverse racism/feminism/etc-ism." As in, discriminate against whites or males or white males (etc.)

06-12-2013   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Adura has disabled reputation

You tell it, Brotha. Wait... you are of African descent, right? Can't imagine a Caucasian telling others what the superior nomenclature is.

06-13-2013   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
League of LegendsElsword

Loreli is on a distinguished road
IGN: Uyie

It never comes up in conversation for me but if it does it's only after a fair while but by then they knew clearly what I am or I know what they are just from normal conversation.

But flat out saying 'Hi, I'm Janette, 21, Single, Female, Native American' is just weird. I feel as if it shouldn't be a problem anyway since I've never said 'Oh it's that person of colour/african american/caucasian/asian guy.' I just say their name. I'll learn their nationality or what they want to be called nationality-wise. Even if you do know, what are you going to do with that information? You don't call people by their nationality, you call them by their names not their ethnicity.

Even if you don't know their name, you don't just say 'that white/asian dude' etc. Since I don't think that helps unless you live in a place with only one person of that ethnicity.

06-15-2013   #7 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adura
You tell it, Brotha. Wait... you are of African descent, right? Can't imagine a Caucasian telling others what the superior nomenclature is.
Are you sure about that? Here's a hint: The Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) currently making these decisions about what people should be labeled according to the color of their skin, and the ones deciding who's "privileged" or not, and the ones yelling at others for "appropriating" non-white cultures, and the ones getting the most offended over perceived racism...

almost all of them attend or attended all white or mostly white public and private schools; grew up in middle-class white neighborhoods and gated communities, and the vast majority if them don't fall under the "...of color" category.

And one other thing ... people of African descent aren't the only non-white ethnicity. TMYK

06-15-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Adura has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
Are you sure about that? Here's a hint: The Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) currently making these decisions about what people should be labeled according to the color of their skin, and the ones deciding who's "privileged" or not, and the ones yelling at others for "appropriating" non-white cultures, and the ones getting the most offended over perceived racism...

almost all of them attend or attended all white or mostly white public and private schools; grew up in middle-class white neighborhoods and gated communities, and the vast majority if them don't fall under the "...of color" category.

And one other thing ... people of African descent aren't the only non-white ethnicity. TMYK
White People: We gave you racism, we can take it away from you.

06-15-2013   #9 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adura
White People: We gave you racism, we can take it away from you.
That's kind of the gist of it but it's circular and they're too stupid to see it. Whenever the Jim Crow laws were implemented in the deep South, it was 'for their own good' (them being the blacks residing there.) Segregated areas and condescending nomenclature like 'colored' was 'for their own good'. The Civil Rights movement in the United States was led by blacks and other non-whites to end the segregation and oppression they suffered, and what the fought for was equality -- for all races to be treated no differently than anyone else and the complete end of all segregation.

Nowadays we have these SJWs who lobby for absolute nonsense like 'safe spaces for PoCs' (segregated areas) and condescending nomenclature like 'People of Color' which is the exact same thing as saying 'colored'.

06-25-2013   #10 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Tumblr is the home of confirmation bias, twisting things to be an issue of race or gender when it could just as easily be explained by 'money'. No, college campuses don't cover up crimes because they hate women: they do it because they don't want to lose money from having their reputation damaged.

Video game protags aren't majorly white males because they don't wanna cater to other races: they just do it cause it SELLS. Want it to change? Start promoting the many smaller games that do have well written standout female/minority characters. Sales causes change in a for profit industry. Oh wait, no one researches that there because the confirmation bias is so strong they'll never notice a game like Cryamore.

Oh and blaming all of society for problems caused by poorly raised individuals who developed their own little subculture full of issues. No matter how much you rally, how much you shout how bad certain behavior is, there will always be little pockets of the world, little cliques in your school/college that will never give a rat's arse.

That includes bothering to use whatever specific terms needed to not hurt feelings.

06-27-2013   #11 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
IGN: Devilit
Class: Raven lt_explorer
Level: 60
Guild: Majestic
Xfire: riolu

"There are no actual races, deep down we're all white, Michael Jackson prooved it."

I said that whilst being the only white person in a group formed by me, a nigerian and two mexicans whilst being on an islamic influenced university campus in Turkey. Racism is bullshit.

They laughed.

06-28-2013   #12 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime
Tumblr is the home of confirmation bias, twisting things to be an issue of race or gender when it could just as easily be explained by 'money'. No, college campuses don't cover up crimes because they hate women: they do it because they don't want to lose money from having their reputation damaged.

Video game protags aren't majorly white males because they don't wanna cater to other races: they just do it cause it SELLS. Want it to change? Start promoting the many smaller games that do have well written standout female/minority characters. Sales causes change in a for profit industry. Oh wait, no one researches that there because the confirmation bias is so strong they'll never notice a game like Cryamore.

Oh and blaming all of society for problems caused by poorly raised individuals who developed their own little subculture full of issues. No matter how much you rally, how much you shout how bad certain behavior is, there will always be little pockets of the world, little cliques in your school/college that will never give a rat's arse.

That includes bothering to use whatever specific terms needed to not hurt feelings.
My favorite is how they suggest "solving" rape: Teach men not to rape.

06-28-2013   #13 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardar
My favorite is how they suggest "solving" rape: Teach men not to rape.
My favorite thing is they actually believe in an omnipresent bogeyman known as "rape culture"

and if you don't pander to the notion of this phantom rape culture, you are enabling this phantom rape culture; kind of like how if you deny your ______ privilege it just proves you're guilty of ________ privilege

tumblr logic

06-28-2013   #14 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
My favorite thing is they actually believe in an omnipresent bogeyman known as "rape culture"

and if you don't pander to the notion of this phantom rape culture, you are enabling this phantom rape culture; kind of like how if you deny your ______ privilege it just proves you're guilty of ________ privilege

tumblr logic
It's very French revolution: if you're not with us then by not being with us you can only be against us. To the guillotine!

08-27-2013   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Nyaruma is on a distinguished road
IGN: Ery
Class: Tentacle Friend to_librarian
Level: 189

Ehhh.... I don't get it, I just call everybody human.

01-18-2014   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
MicroVolts OnlineWonderKing OnlineLa TaleTera Online

Antarctica is an unknown quantity at this point
IGN: Antarctica
Class: Berserker lt_warlord
Guild: Shine

I think that's the funny thing about Tumblr feminists, or extremists; is that no matter how you present an argument to them to discredit their perspectives and beliefs it always flies back in your face with the blame game.

I think at the end of the day irregardless of proof it comes down to perspective. This includes arguments. I always get that pointed finger when encountering one on Tumblr because it puts blame, or some sort of presumed social injustice on your shoulders and they either successfully make you feel the brevity of their perspective or you present them with different issues and hash it out on those basis'.

One of the most ridiculous arguments iv'e heard at my time on tumblr was how women should dress whatever they want, whenever, however, and under no circumstances should they be subjected to rape. It's just cringe inducing because it argues against so many societal norms that it almost seems self-centered and narcissistic. It doesn't help that the cause behind the notion is exclusive to feminism alone. If this was the basis for an argument on equal terms regardless of gender then it's no different than a nudist movement for that matter. It irritates me when shit like this gets encouraged on tumblr but at the same time I just have to accept the fact that what Lime is saying is right. It's a waste of time trying to convince someone who is adopting certain ideologies and approaches and learned behavior.

Iv'e run into plenty of hate from Tumblr feminists but the best response I can give to these activists would be to stop what they're doing in the name of all women who reside in the west and actually go take a look at the social injustices of women in the east. I have nothing against feminism itself but these people are making feminism look like a complete joke when there are women in the middle east and other countries who are 2nd class citizens. Some who even get acid tossed on their face simply for not abiding religious commandments and such. Feminism isn't needed in America, it's needed in non-sovereign countries who haven't yet had the same level of social advancements.

Take Putin's fear of homosexuals into account, now that's a wrong-doing all on its own. Passing laws to make the lives of the LGBT community harder than it needs to be.

01-18-2014   #17 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Words are just words. So long as you don't mean anything malevolent by what you have said, it shouldn't matter. If someone personally takes offense, they should be able to say it on their own, rather than someone speak constantly on their oblivious behalf.

I wouldn't take anything on tumblr too seriously. Pseudo-anonymity in combination with a mob mentality is intoxicating no matter how you slice it and only works to produce quite the zealot response in comparison to a real conversation with real people.

--Frenchbread is

Last edited by Sanichi; 01-18-2014 at 06:41 PM.