Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-22-2013   #1 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE
Default Video game console generations: Who the hell decides this shit?

Go ahead, look at this:

GameFAQs System List - GameFAQs

Wikipedia, being the raging asperger cases they are, agree with this. And I know I'm being a raging asperger case myself caring about this but I like old video game crap and there's so much shit wrong here that it's annoying.

First of all, the "first generation". In the early 70's there was a glut of solid state hardware produced so people could play Pong on their TV sets. These things were very simple electronically, and they didn't even employ a CPU. A few of these systems, such as the Odyssey, allowed for "cartridges" to be inserted as to introduce a bit of variance in Pong, so instead you can have Slightly Pongier Pong and What Could Kind Of Pass As Football If You Squint Really Hard And Pretend Football Was Exactly Like Pong. These cartridges were simply different wire paths, no memory or a program as we know it present in there at all. For some reason, the Commodore PET -- which was an actual ****ing computer -- is lumped into the "first generation" which is like classifying the Model T roadster with an actual horse carriage.

The "second generation" is even worse. What basically starts with the 2600 and it basically spans all the way to the Colecovision, which would be pretty accurate except the Colecovision throws quite a monkey wrench into things.

The Colecovision was pretty much the apex of video game hardware before the crash of 1983. What sold it was its ability to kind of present arcade graphics where every other console failed miserably. In fact, it was such a popular hardware design that Sega wholesale copied it for their Japan-only SG-1000 console (also considered second generation) and the MSX computer/game console...

which is considered third generation. Is this because the MSX came out during a specific time period? Well, the Commodore 64 came out at the same time as the Colecovision and it's considered third generation as well. The reason for this is the most retarded thing you've ever heard.

The ridiculous classification system here was set up to please middle-aged fans of what's essentially a ****ing toy because they don't want to see it classified with something they don't personally prefer. The Apple II, of all systems (but hardly a gaming system) is "second generation" while the technically inferior C64 is "third generation". The MSX, which is the exact same hardware as the Colecovision, is bumped up because of its dedicated fanbase. There's no escaping these crybaby retards even to classify what amounts to a footnote of ****ing history.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-22-2013   #2 (permalink)
Light's Pet
A little RUSTy.
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMapleStoryLuniaDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

Genji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud of

I think it's solely because of graphics.
Popular games on the Colecovision had hardly any shading, nor much capability for THAT much memory.

The MSX, on the other hand, was able to keep up with a NES standard, so people would be able to compare it to the NES.

Then again, that could just be my love for Metal Gear blinding my decision.

Mmm, that soundchip.

05-22-2013   #3 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

That's the MSX2, though, which is the hardware scaled off the MSX1 the same way the Sega Master System was scaled off of the SG-1000. The MSX1 and the Colecovision are almost the exact same hardware platform, to the point that a port of a Colecovision to the MSX1 and vice-versa requires changing a few lines of code at most.

05-22-2013   #4 (permalink)
Light's Pet
A little RUSTy.
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMapleStoryLuniaDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

Genji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud of

Oh shoot, I did not know that there was a MSX1.
Now that I look at it, it really resembles the likes of the colecovision.

I'd assume that since the MSX wasn't the most popular over here, it would be natural for something to mess up.

Was the MSX1 ported over here in America?

05-22-2013   #5 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

I think it did for like a few months tops, that's it. It did okay in Europe but it went extremely well in Japan and South America.

The SG-1000, MSX1, and Colecovision all use the same hardware (z80 + Texas Instruments GPU) with little variation. what they scaled from there is different, but that was a popular configuration for a long time.