ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   People like this writer make me sick. (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/119587-people-like-writer-make-me-sick.html)

Kenzor 12-18-2012 05:56 AM

People like this writer make me sick.
 
A story about a survivor in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting:
Sandy Hook shooting: Girl, 6, was sole survivor of her grade one class

I'm not bashing religion or anything, I'm bashing this writer.

Ok, so it's IMPOSSIBLE for a 6 year old to have a brain of their own and do things such as what this girl did? No, she's DEFINITELY not slightly smarter than the usual 6 year old, it MUST be God's work.

Reeeaaaaaaally?
So writer, what's your opinion about God and the other 20 kids of this girl's class and their teacher?

edit: my bad, it's not the writer saying this but whoever is interviewing the kid's mom.


If this is too inappropriate feel free to lock, I just need to rant.

Bolter 12-18-2012 08:28 AM

maybe he's just bored and couldn't think of any other ideas?

SlowBro 12-18-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by source
Solomon said the girl's family was suffering survivor's guilt because many of their friends were not as lucky and had lost children in the tragedy.

She lived by hiding in a pile of 15 other dead kids. If the girl escaped by her own means then this can be perceived as a story of a random girl that got away at the expense of others. I think this becomes much less personal by crediting God.


Quote:

So writer, what's your opinion about God and the other 20 kids of this girl's class and their teacher?
Here's my lazy interpretation:

God allows bad things to happen, but he doesn't cause them. When Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, we were given the freedom to choose. God does not want to interfere and wishes everyone to find their way back to him. If nothing bad ever happens, your faith is never really tested.

Religion is a touchy subject no matter where it is though bro. I'd rather not get in arguments over faith.

Draft 12-18-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzor (Post 1791790)
A story about a survivor in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting:
Sandy Hook shooting: Girl, 6, was sole survivor of her grade one class

I'm not bashing religion or anything, I'm bashing this writer.

Ok, so it's IMPOSSIBLE for a 6 year old to have a brain of their own and do things such as what this girl did? No, she's DEFINITELY not slightly smarter than the usual 6 year old, it MUST be God's work.

Reeeaaaaaaally?
So writer, what's your opinion about God and the other 20 kids of this girl's class and their teacher?

It's the writer way of calling it a miracle... To me I think that girl is smart and knew how to react. Most article will have bia because its hard for people not to, so yeah.

Kenzor 12-18-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowBro (Post 1791817)
She lived by hiding in a pile of 15 other dead kids. If the girl escaped by her own means then this can be perceived as a story of a random girl that got away at the expense of others. I think this becomes much less personal by crediting God.

If people are perceiving this story like that then that's THEIR problem, not whoever actually gives credit to the girl. A 6 year old girl, just walked out of her school, saw her mom crying and told her that all her friends have died. If any reader is feeling anything but sympathy for this girl then that really is their own problem.

Aria 12-18-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzor (Post 1791849)
If any reader is feeling anything but sympathy for this girl then that really is their own problem.

I haven't seen anyone who doesn't.

SlowBro 12-18-2012 06:05 PM

I feel like you're missing my point. They are quoted as suffering from survivor's guilt. That means that the victims themselves believe it to a certain degree. Perhaps this is just the interviewer trying to handle things delicately. You really need to look at the good side of things sometimes.

Maybe I'm wording it poorly. :l

Harlequin 12-18-2012 06:53 PM

The quote is from a pastor. Don't think we need to explain why he said it like that.

MsSquid 12-18-2012 06:56 PM

The article was focusing on a survivor, not those who died. Furthermore, the interviewee was a pastor, not to mention the interview was done by ABC not the person who wrote the article. It really doesn't matter if the girl survived by god's grace or her own cunning. The fact of the matter is that the girl is alive. It seems that the only people complaining about this non-issue of a pastor having faith in god are those whose lives are more or less unaffected by the shootings.

RoflKnife 12-18-2012 07:07 PM

What everyone else said, it's because a pastor was being interviewed. To be expected really.

Beel 12-24-2012 07:30 PM

Hm, personally I'm not at all religious, but I think the pastor's observations are justified. Although he's applying his own beliefs to this girl's specific situation, by no means does he seem to be promoting Christianity as the only doctrine for moral living. We're free to believe what we want. The pastor's simply exercising his freedom of speech and of religion on a public outlet. More importantly, though, he's praising the girl's precocity for saving her life; he's thankful that she's alive, and that's all that matters.

Sunniiee 12-25-2012 10:47 PM

Well, most girls her age would probably freak out in an emergency situation. She was quite smart, and as others have said, since it was an interview on a pastor, he was just sharing his opinion on what happened.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.