ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   MSN is shutting down March 2013 (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/119070-msn-shutting-down-march-2013-a.html)

kite384 11-28-2012 07:19 AM

MSN is shutting down March 2013

Windows Live Messenger launched in 1999 as MSN Messenger, rivalling Yahoo Messenger and AOL's AIM, but the rise of Skype and Google Talk saw the market shares drop, resulting in Microsoft buying Skype for $8.5 billion last year.

The ageing chat service has been given its death knell, with all services except the Chinese one, shutting down by March 2013, with users prompted to switch to Skype instead. A tool for migrating contacts over will be made available.

noooooooooooooooo fkjfsdnfsjhtsjhg

Yume 11-28-2012 08:29 AM

'-' MSN is like my childhood. I preferred it over all others even the current new ones.
*does not take change very well*

Also, rare to see another Saskatchewanian. o.o

LauraMix 11-28-2012 08:40 AM

Since when did they announced this?...

Queen 11-28-2012 09:05 AM

BBC News - Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype

Apparently November 6th.

LauraMix 11-28-2012 09:32 AM

Huh..I never seen it in my Facebook feed weird...but still, It's a bummer for MSN Messenger has to go.

Kenzor 11-28-2012 09:34 AM

I don't know when was the last time I used MSN, I'm one of the guilty ones who switched to Skype and Facebook lol.

kite384 11-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume (Post 1786701)

Also, rare to see another Saskatchewanian. o.o

oh cool x3 actually im just to visit for a long time :3

also glad we can atleast merge msn contacts with skype
i hope they add on skype that we can share pictures like on msn </3

YenSai 11-28-2012 09:54 AM

Honestly, I don't think it will happen..Even if they do shut it down there must be some kind of download you can use to still have msn just like you can get around the "forced upgrade" by downloading an old version from filehippo. Maybe they will just stop updating msn and let people use it as is(not like their updates ever did it any good LOL).
I really hate skype's messenger, the only thing good about it is the voice chat but that's it. I grew up using msn and I couldn't stand not having it anymore.

Ascherit 11-28-2012 11:04 AM

welp, good thing I got used to skype :v tbh I've been neglecting my MSN too...pretty sure last time I logged on was sometime last year.

Esper 11-28-2012 11:16 AM

Haven't really used MSN except to check secondary mails sent to that account. Everyone I have on MSN uses Skype since we prefer it. Group voice chats are nice too, especially when we were gaming.

NiBo 11-28-2012 12:25 PM

Good, I don't even use it anymore >_> even set it up to sent the emails to my gmail account. I preffer failbook's chat.

Sanichi 11-28-2012 01:34 PM

I've been using skype for a while. It should be alright.

R 11-28-2012 02:15 PM

Already merged my MSN account with Skype a week ago.

I like it. I don't see any problems with it, minus the lack of sharing photos and customizations.

MintyVampire 11-28-2012 02:31 PM

Josh you need to teach me how to merge ;_; I honestly don't mind it that much since I've been neglecting it and using mostly just skype....I even dropped Yahoo Messenger too LOL.

Though I probably won't be effected by it.....I think I got the chinese version?

iTaker 11-28-2012 02:55 PM

I always thought skype was just better than MSN. The messaging isn't really the same because of MSN's customize-able text and the individual chat windows and all. That isn't saying too much either lol. I won't be merging my accounts either because I don't really use MSN anyway. Not too big of a deal to see it go it's still the same thing.

Sunniiee 11-28-2012 03:21 PM

I got used to skype already; however, I really miss customizing my name and all the pretty emotes. I'll miss that a lot. I also liked the cute little built-in winks and sounds that I didn't use on a daily basis but used as a funny thing occasionally with friends. I really liked being able to use my signatures as backgrounds since they were around that size and stuff, but...oh well.

mamoru 11-28-2012 03:56 PM

My friends and I still use AIM to talk to each other, lol ;_;

Jon 11-28-2012 03:59 PM

Use Google Talk after all Messenger services cease to function, I really hate how you need to enable cookies on IE to sign in through Skype.

The reason as to why this is happening is simply because MS bought Skype a little while back, and notice more people are using Skype instead of Messenger. Pretty lame, but it is what it is.

Shanni 11-28-2012 04:29 PM

I merged mine about a week ago also. I don't mind it much either I just wish it was easier to share media like it was in MSN.

Aria 11-28-2012 06:15 PM

I don't mind the merge, but they should consider improving Skype's chatting interface. It'd be nice to be able to customize our font, so my eyes can better tell which messages are mine and which are the other person's.