ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   Go buy a ***ing leash. (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/114499-go-buy-ing-leash.html)

TsveTokSmirTi 07-05-2012 10:12 AM

Go buy a ***ing leash.

There's a lot of anger in this post, but it's something that's really been bothering me for a long while and I need to vent and get it off my chest.

I can't express enough how badly it angers me now when I see people walking their dogs without a leash. I live in an apartment with two dogs and I have to walk them daily around 4 times for bathroom breaks, which isn't a problem at all. But both of my dogs have never been good with other peoples dogs, because when my parents raised them they never got to be around anything but each other and us.

Almost every single time I walk them I encounter a dumb ass walking three tiny little *****es, and not one of them is ever wearing a leash. Of course my dogs always start freaking out and tugging on me trying to get at them, and what a surprise, all three of his dogs are now running at me and I have to forcefully keep my dogs away from them so they don't hurt them. I have something to say to you, Mr.Man. GO BACK TO YOUR HOUSE, LEAVE YOUR DOGS THERE, DRIVE TO WALLMART, AND BUY A ***ING LEASH :py01: Make that three.

I live around so many people who walk there dogs without a leash. I understand why you do it, it's more comfortable for the dog, and less work for you too. But unless your dog is well trained enough to stay at your side no matter what is happening, make them wear a god damn leash. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to always have other peoples dogs speeding towards my not very friendly ones, and having to deal with it every day.

What also really makes me mad is that these people never learn. I run into them on different paths frequently and my initial reaction is to head the opposite direction because I REALLY don't want to put up with it. But THEY FOLLOW ME WITH THEIR DOGS. Are you kidding me?! What, you've run into me like 10 times and it's ALWAYS been a big hassle for both of us to handle our dogs because you refuse to put a leash on yours, and you still insist on following me, while your dogs are still trying to get at mine. I swear to god the people that live in this state have all suffered major brain damage that has caused them to be ****ing stupid. :py18:

If I could make my dogs friendlier with other dogs they've never met, trust me, I'd rather have it that way too. But they've matured, and that's how they've always been and always will be, and it isn't going to change. So either buy a leash so you can control your dog from running at other peoples dogs, or be less of a dumb shit and not walk directly in my direction every single time you see me. :py14:

Torikakae 07-05-2012 03:01 PM

Try calling Cesar Millan

Cause one thing I've learned from him is that, a lot of times, it's the owner and not the dog~

Almora 07-05-2012 03:15 PM

Have you watched "Dogs in the City" yet? There was an episode, I forgot which one, where Justin Silver addresses the lunging @ other people/dogs and how to deal with it.

And I agree, it's usually the owners.

NiBo 07-05-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TsveTokSmirTi (Post 1742359)
If I could make my dogs friendlier with other dogs they've never met, trust me, I'd rather have it that way too. But they've matured, and that's how they've always been and always will be, and it isn't going to change.

I agree that you can't do that, just because you don't believe they'll change.
AND I also recommend calling Cesar, like Tori said >_>

Mitchi 07-05-2012 05:09 PM

No offense meant to you on this, so bear with me.

1. You can't control your neighbors' behavior or their dogs, so start with your own. Your dogs are leash reactive, no two ways about it, and that is bothersome and annoying to pretty much everyone that gets around them when they are like that. They need to be trained out of it, for your sake and theirs. They react that way out of stress and fear, so if you train them to deal with it, they will be calmer and happier.

2. You need to socialize your dogs. This will also help reduce fear and anxiety from seeing other dogs. Remember, dogs usually act out with leash pulling, etc, because they're scared as ****, or extremely anxious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TsveTokSmirTi (Post 1742359)
If I could make my dogs friendlier with other dogs they've never met, trust me, I'd rather have it that way too. But they've matured, and that's how they've always been and always will be, and it isn't going to change.

This is not only a terrible way of thinking, but it's simply not true. Even an older dog can be socialized (very carefully, that is), and they can be taught against leash pulling once you understand why they do it (Lack of socialization, fear, anxiety).

That said, I'm not gonna sit here and criticize and not offer any advice.

First, you need to train your dogs the "Watch me" or "Look at me" command. This is exactly what it sounds like: You teach your dog to look at you. After they have mastered this, gradually teach them to do it while there are distractions. GRADUALLY. Don't go from an empty room to trying to get them to look at you while there is a dog near by. You have to take the small, in between steps.

HOWEVER. Don't try to ask for "watch me" when you know your dog won't be able to do it. That's just setting them up to fail.

Second, get them used to other dogs, slowly. Ask one of your neighbors if you can have their dog meet with yours regularly just to get them used to other dogs. Trust me, it works wonders for a socially anxious dog.

Yume 07-05-2012 05:53 PM

My neighbour's dogs are always on a leash, but I understand how you feel about having a dog that jumps out at other dogs.
My dog likes to bark a lot. He barks at people, dogs, cars, loud noises etc. He really likes barking at people from the window too. When he's outside on a walk (on a leash) and he sees a car coming, or another dog or human, he'll jump at them and bark too. It is very difficult to correct.
From what I heard from a friend, pups at 4~7 months are supposed to be exposed to other dogs to get them used to them, but mine was not. My dog as a puppy, for about the first two years of his life, barely ever went outside and wasn't given proper training so I think he thinks he's the leader of the pack and doesn't behave properly, but I've been trying to correct his behaviour.

Anyway, this is getting long winded. What I've been doing with him is have him on his leash and whenever we go outside and see a person, car, or dog etc, I tell him "don't you dare" and hold onto his leash tightly, and if he barks or starts to jump, I tug his leash and make him sit or try to hold him down.
I've also tried getting him to play with other dogs, but he's very bad at socializing with them. My dog is also very very protective so I think that's why he barks at things near the house, or near his owners.

It is very very difficult to correct, but I've seen an improvement in him. He still lashes out at dogs, but is better with humans and barks a bit less. It takes a lot of persistence and dedication. It is more difficult to correct older dogs because it becomes a habit, but try to be more patient with them.

(My dog is almost 4 years old and is a maltese. My brother and his gf at the time were taking care of him for about the first 1 and a half years of his life and didn't train him properly. Due to circumstances, I took care of him for a year, and now my mother and I take care of him, but she undoes everything I do -.-)

Though, other people SHOULD have their dogs on leashes despite how well behaved the owners think their own dogs are.

Bolter 07-06-2012 07:50 AM

its the owner's attitude

TsveTokSmirTi 07-06-2012 05:48 PM

I wrote this thread when I was incredibly frustrated wasn't thinking clearly at all. I just wanted to vent my anger out on this forum, so I did. But I can understand how a lot of people would think I always have this kind of attitude.

I really don't like the phrase "It's not the dog it's the owner". Not because I disagree, but because I think it makes it sound like I've poorly raised my dogs or I don't treat them well, which is not the case.

My dogs and I do a lot of individual training together. They are very well behaved, loving animals. The only thing they have trouble with is socializing with other dogs, especially smaller ones. Like mentioned before, it's most likely because they have had very little interaction with other dogs when they were puppies. I was younger when they were puppies, and was living in a fairly large home with a huge backyard. My mom's told she never took them to dog parks or to meet friends' dogs because she felt that they had everything they needed where they were.

Back on the leash thing, when my dogs see other dogs, that is the only time they ever act out in a very hard to control manner. I appreciate the advice given to very slowly socialize my dogs with others, and I agree that it was wrong of me to say it could never change, because that isn't true.

It still frustrates me though when people walk their dogs without a harness or a leash. There are many different kinds of leashes that can make it a whole lot more comfortable for the dog too. I stand firm in the belief that unless your dog is well trained enough to listen to your commands when you're walking them without a leash, you shouldn't be walking them without one. It isn't my fault at all when someones dog dashes to mine and starts trying to get really close to them despite the owner telling them not to. This is where my frustration is from :py32:

Anyways, I'll try to convince my mom to slowly introduce our dogs to some of our friends dogs so ours are more comfortable with strangers, and issues like this can be avoided.

Torikakae 07-06-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TsveTokSmirTi (Post 1743029)

I really don't like the phrase "It's not the dog it's the owner". Not because I disagree, but because I think it makes it sound like I've poorly raised my dogs or I don't treat them well, which is not the case.

Not poorly exactly... Think of it this way. If a toddler misbehaves, we won't blame the kid as bad, but rather say that the parents didn't raise it well enough. It would not imply that they were horrible parents in any way~

As the "parent" of your pets, you missed an important phase in your puppies' development, the "socialization" phase. Though it's never too late to reintroduce that, as what you are planning to do now~

Mitchi 07-06-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TsveTokSmirTi (Post 1743029)
It still frustrates me though when people walk their dogs without a harness or a leash. There are many different kinds of leashes that can make it a whole lot more comfortable for the dog too. I stand firm in the belief that unless your dog is well trained enough to listen to your commands when you're walking them without a leash, you shouldn't be walking them without one. It isn't my fault at all when someones dog dashes to mine and starts trying to get really close to them despite the owner telling them not to. This is where my frustration is from

To be fair, you're not wrong here. In many places it's actually illegal to walk your dog without a leash in public. Especially at parks.

Even well trained dogs should be on a leash really.