League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-05-2012   #1 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all
Default microsoft makes me very angry

i have a valid copy of windows xp. i paid for it, and it has been installed for over 5 years.
a few months ago i switched my antivirus to MSE and it started telling me windows was invalid on nearly every boot(which was fixed quickly by clicking the validate button).

today i had an optical drive fail, though it's been broken for over a year, and suddenly my copy of windows was invalid.
because my isp is simply awful i couldn't connect to the internet to validate how they wanted me to and i had this looming [You have 3 days] notification. when i was finally able to connect i activated it online using the WGA tool, it went well once i was able to connect.
i fully expect this to happen every time i boot now and sometimes i'm without internet for over 3 days. this is seriously making me reconsider my purchase of windows 7 when i upgrade my computer in 2 months.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

You could have just taken a few minutes to call the free number it gives you and punch in the code over the phone and input the key they give you in return.

07-06-2012   #3 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metty
You could have just taken a few minutes to call the free number it gives you and punch in the code over the phone and input the key they give you in return.
i don't have a phone. also, the last time i did this they put me on hold for about 20 minutes.

07-06-2012   #4 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
Awards MoM Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake
i don't have a phone.
Uh huh.
Quote:
also, the last time i did this they put me on hold for about 20 minutes.
Automated service doesn't put you on hold.

Sure is pirated Windows.

07-07-2012   #5 (permalink)
Static

Quote:
Uh huh.
oh you, why would i need a phone? i use one maybe twice a year and for that i can just go down the street.

Quote:
Automated service doesn't put you on hold.

Sure is pirated Windows.
indian tech support most certainly does put me on hold. if i pirated windows how would this even be an issue?

Last edited by Cornflake; 07-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.

07-07-2012   #6 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
oh you, why would i need a phone? i use one maybe twice a year and for that i can just go down the street.

indian tech support most certainly does put me on hold. if i pirated windows how would this even be an issue?
So in short, you still had access to a phone to call a free number which then has you input a string of numbers into the phone which then gives you a new product key for windows. Yet you didn't do this and blame something else. There is no actual tech support people involved.

Cool pirated copy of Windows son. Stay in denial.

07-07-2012   #7 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

I have to side with Metty with this one. I've had to do this once and it took me 4 minutes tops and half of those minutes were to find my XP key..

07-08-2012   #8 (permalink)
Static

Quote:
Cool pirated copy of Windows son. Stay in denial.
i don't have to listen to these blatant attacks on my character. i did not pirate windows.

Quote:
So in short, you still had access to a phone to call a free number which then has you input a string of numbers into the phone which then gives you a new product key for windows. Yet you didn't do this and blame something else.
someone else's phone yes. had the issue continued until they finished work i may have gone over and attempted the call, though in my mind there was no guarantee it would work.

Quote:
There is no actual tech support people involved.
i'm sorry but i don't quite understand. the last time i had to activate my product over the phone, which was quite some time ago, i got connected to an indian tech support woman. she put me on hold, i waited, then she read off a number to me. i don't know why you're claiming it's an automated service, unless it has changed in the last 6 years, and i do not appreciate being accused of pirating a product i paid for.

Last edited by Cornflake; 07-08-2012 at 12:09 AM.

07-08-2012   #9 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

it has been automated for quite a few years now.

10-06-2012   #10 (permalink)
Static

minor update i suppose, since this is still on the first page.

i've been using windows 7 for maybe a month, it came with the netbook i'm using, and i'm finding it difficult to work with. it's worth using because it plays games; however, it does very strange things like creating 1000 wireless processes a day because the connection isn't always terribly strong (though i managed to disable that) and scanning the entire computer, while using up a large amount of system resources, to update even when there's no update.

i've also had minor issues getting it to tell me exactly what it's doing and why, so i've had to install third party programs to help me. why is this an upgrade to xp? at the very least xp had a friendly event viewer and would correctly report why a program is using a service. it runs some programs better but the ui is so much less friendly and provides less easily accessible information.

i certainly hope more games make the jump to opengl so i can drop windows entirely.

11-09-2012   #11 (permalink)
VIP
Games
Trickster OnlinePhantasy Star UniverseLuna OnlineBattlestar Galactica Online

Cait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Cait Send a message via AIM to Cait Send a message via MSN to Cait Send a message via Yahoo to Cait Send a message via Skype™ to Cait
IGN: Caiterz
Class: bunny to_champion
Level: 271
Guild: «Firefly» «Serenity» (Join Them! ^_^)
Xfire: Caiternoodle

you think W7 is bad, dont even touch Vista. you will cry.

W7 is to Vista like XP is to ME. xD

I think XP is better, but man, nothing is compatible with it anymore :'(

Im ready to quit computers i think.

Theyre going backwards in efficiency, not forwards...

11-09-2012   #12 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

If i'm not wrong you need to revalidate the key every 3 months, this is the same for any Windows 7 OEM licenses. (It might be only for SLP keys for Win7 i can't remember)
You can try changing the key to the one on the sticker if you're still using the OEM key which came with the system (Like if you bought a branded computer or a laptop).
The key which came with the system is different from the sticker one.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist