Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-26-2012   #1 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny
Guild: Guardians
Default Microsoft Excel

Ok, so I am writing a lab report, plotting two variables that are 34 orders of magnitude apart, and I get this plot,

Where are the Y-axis labels?!?
So I try and fix it and I cannot get anything to show those numbers.
And then there is the issue of the equation, excel doesn't want to show the proper equation on the chart.
I multiplied the y axis by 10^19, this got me some labels on the y-axis, but the trend line was still wrong. y=3.06?!?, the line is clearly slanted.

Or well, got my answer in the end. Got Planck's constant within 15% of the actual value. Still doesn't make up for excel.

Other things, when I type certain numbers, I get a date... Learnt how to fix it but this is still annoying.

Edit 5minutes after posting this I get...
Spoiler!

Last edited by Nebula; 05-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-31-2012   #2 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol
lol excel

i wouldnt use that for graphs
Cannot be bothered learning, LaTeX, matlab or mathematica. And excel normally behaves for linear data.

Just had another issue with the linest command. I tryied to change the valkue and it wouldn't let me close excel.

Excel must hate memore than matlab does.

05-31-2012   #3 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

I think you use the wrong software, excel is not specialized in drawing graphs, its more for tabulation tables and theoretical calculations

05-31-2012   #4 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Excel is simply awful for graph plotting. Matlab is not too hard to learn. You can also try MiniTAB. Personally, I use GraphPad-- really easy to work with and produces beautiful graphs/figures.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

06-01-2012   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

right click on the graph and it is in one of the settings i think
look for labels

Excel is horrible at graphs i agree, all the settings are hidden somewhere.
But if you're willing to spend time excel can be quite powerful as it can have a mixture of graphs, calculation and stats all together.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

06-01-2012   #6 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier
Excel is simply awful for graph plotting. Matlab is not too hard to learn. You can also try MiniTAB. Personally, I use GraphPad-- really easy to work with and produces beautiful graphs/figures.
I may give those a go next lab report...
And Matlab hates me I decided. I copy and paste a code, run it, and an error pops up. I add the ";" I forgot, then another error appears.
Is there a way to convert the tabulated form into a form like {x,y}? That may allow for the transfer of data.

@kag, I tried changing the grid line spacings (In the format axis labels), it didn't help. Here's my data if you want to try.

Frequency Stopping Enegy (J)
1.18E+15 7.15E-19
8.22E+14 2.88E-19
7.41E+14 2.29E-19
6.88E+14 2.00E-19
5.49E+14 1.19E-19
1.18E+15 5.80E-19

I ended up plotting
1.18E+00 7.15E+00
8.22E-01 2.88E+00
7.41E-01 2.29E+00
6.88E-01 2.00E+00
5.49E-01 1.19E+00
1.18E+00 5.80E+00

And just multiplied my answer by 10^-34

The other option is working in different units such as eV.

06-01-2012   #7 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

hmm it looks kind of odd

EDIT: nm i plotted wrongly

EDIT2: odd it just doesn't show somehow could be a bug

EDIT3: it seems to work when i multiply everything by 1.00E+19 and set a manual range for X-axis
Probably a crappy excel bug when the range gets too huge or something
Min 5.0E33
Max 1.2E34
Major Unit 1.0E33

Before

Last edited by kag; 06-01-2012 at 03:08 AM.

06-01-2012   #8 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
hmm it looks kind of odd

weird the number in y axis is in text or something
Looks like you did a line plot, you need to use a scatter plot to obtain the correct graph. Otherwise Excel makes assumptions XD

06-01-2012   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

It works after i multiplied everything by 1.0E+19
X-Axis
Min 5.0E33
Max 1.2E34
Major Unit 1.0E33

I think it is just a bug or something.
I've never handled that much decimals for a graph as well.