ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   No one has morals (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/111971-no-one-has-morals.html)

Chastity 05-08-2012 02:30 AM

No one has morals

Do people NOT have any respect in this world anymore??? Do they not have any morals or ethics? No one keeps to their word anymore. It's like what comes out of your mouth is complete squat. Just WORDS.

In my philosophy class my professor gave us some food for thought. Hypothetically, you're new in town moving into a new house. The person you are buying the house from used to be an antique collector and gave you $50 to sell everything in the house AND you can keep the profits. I know, no one really wants to know the whole story but long story short you promise to sell the antique desk to your neighbor for $100 and basically it was a verbal agreement like a "binding contract". But someone else knew the real value of the desk to be $5000. Would you go back on your promise?

This is EXACTLY what happened in my situation. (Well not exactly because what I'm buying isn't that much of a difference, it's probably right on spot. give or take. But the point is the other person is offering more.) I know people have different ideas and values of morals and ethics. And I know it is his item but honestly. If you promise to sell someone something then sell it to them for what it is stated in the thread. If you had intended to turn it into an AUCTION then you should have stated so in the first place - and not turn it into an auction when you get offered more. I'M SO MAD!! :py36: Honest to God I would be raging on his thread right now but I normally do not like to be rude so I'm keeping that away from this thread. He hasn't actually responded to the person's offer yet, but I have a feeling he will accept only because he pull the same crap on the person who posted before me.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone if I said no one has morals. I mean very few or little people have morals anymore. Because I know what's going to happen, we did a poll in my philosophy class...95% of the class wanted the $5000.

Nebula 05-08-2012 03:43 AM

All I can say is this.
There's something called iTrader on this site... use it; leave a negative message.
Anyways I've worked out what thread it is. I shall not comment on the specifics.

However I will say some of my opinion on this topic.
The way people behave on the net tends to be a reflection of how they are in real life. If they lack any morals here, then they won't be any better in society.

However, this is partially culturally dependent. I live in Australia, over here it is perfectly socially accepted to compliment a close friend by literally insulting them. When I recently went to America, I offended my grandmother unintentionally by being a bit sarcastic.
My mother is a Chinese-Malaysian, she had a very strict upbringing, there she didn't have teenager years like mine. She had to work much harder than I have and there was no such thing as sleeping in. However her upbringing has shaped her expectations of us. Once again this is because of different values.
Relating this to trading with people; in my society, the price is pretty much fixed. Very little bargaining goes on and when it happens the price doesn't drop down very low. My little sister when she goes to Vietnam for school doesn't do too much bargaining. She bought a $35 dress without even trying to put the price down. This is not normal for a market type setting for that part of the world. To emphasize this, I went to a Vietnamese sandwich shop. The owner told me that sometimes you could get things there that started at $200 for $70. This was before they realized they could get more money from tourists.

I do not know of any country where what you mentioned is socially acceptable however.

Bolter 05-08-2012 08:04 AM

its more like the greed of people that has really making them appear immoral

LauraMix 05-08-2012 08:43 AM

I do agree with you honestly I do since I know my past experience in Trading in-game and real life, Some people tend to be greedy.

But you have to ask yourself this "Does people get greedy for a good reason? and using the items they are given or money for important things?"

Valese 05-08-2012 08:53 AM

I've had the same thing happen to me with a pet I wanted to buy.. A random person I met and kind of started talking to promised to sell me the pet when he would get higher level because it was part of his main EQs. He even added me to friends list and so on. I waited for about a month, and every time he would tell me he would sell it to me later. Then 1 day he completely changed his story and said he gave it to his friend because the person saw it liked it and wanted it. :l

Really frustrating when people make you wait and waste your time. Just decline the offer if you don't like it. Saves you the awkward conversation when you have to come up with a lie because you don't want to sell.

RoflKnife 05-08-2012 09:29 AM

Iderno, I know I have some questionable morals, but I can defend them adequately. As for the desk question...

Spoiler!

Chastity 05-08-2012 11:24 AM

I'm so embarrassed. :py06: I made a wrong judgement. He rejected her offer and told her it was reserved for me and if she wanted it she'd have to talk to me. I feel bad - good thing I didn't start posting on his forums >< I will apologize though for misjudging him.

I don't blame people for accepting the $5000. I don't know them - I mean they could need it because they literally have to live paycheck to paycheck. Who knows why they want / need the money :L but people are different.

Jon 05-08-2012 11:27 AM

Yes, people suck. Yes, more and more people are getting diagnosed with mental abnormalities/disabilities (bad news for future generations). Yes, the world is ****ed. No, there is nothing you can do about it.

Often times I wonder if earth is really hell.

james 05-08-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vith (Post 1716722)
Yes, more and more people are getting diagnosed with mental abnormalities/disabilities

An argument can be made that because we have better knowledge of how we as humans are "supposed" to work, that whenever someone doesn't work like we're "supposed" to we label them off as some sort of disabled person. In short, more and more people are getting diagnosed because we have more and more to diagnose them with.

On the desk example: sorry I take advantage of your stupidity. I understand honesty and morality and being ethical; unfortunately, unless you're my best friend or someone whose companionship I value, I'm not going to sell it for 50. Especially given the fact that, in essence, you're giving it to me to sell.

Cookies 05-08-2012 02:13 PM

If I ever come across someone selling something worth $5000 and have a different buyer waiting, I'd definitely hope they sell it for that price and just compensate me with something different. I'd be disappointed from losing a great deal, but they were horribly misinformed in the first place. Unless it's something I desperately need (which would mean I knew the true value from the beginning and saved up for it already), then I'd try to talk with them and work something out.
Since 1) it's probably just going to be there as a "collector's item"; 2) it'd be better to resell it which would be the same as ripping off the original seller if they keep their word.

How would you feel if someone offer you $100 for something you know worth 50x as much? Or someone giving you a price tag of $5000 when the thing is only worth $100? Probably laugh it off and just ignore them, unless you're insanely rich or just plain running a charity.

imo, a deal is only true and worth honoring when both sides fully understand the details and weighted out their options accordingly. Otherwise it'd just be a one sided scam. (offerofferofferofferofferoffer)

Nebula 05-09-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelxLoves (Post 1716721)
I'm so embarrassed. :py06: I made a wrong judgement. He rejected her offer and told her it was reserved for me and if she wanted it she'd have to talk to me. I feel bad - good thing I didn't start posting on his forums >< I will apologize though for misjudging him.

I don't blame people for accepting the $5000. I don't know them - I mean they could need it because they literally have to live paycheck to paycheck. Who knows why they want / need the money :L but people are different.

That was nice of them. However, the person who offered higher, that is disappointing.

Bolter 05-09-2012 08:04 AM

some people are just unscrupulous

Richeyz1337 05-09-2012 09:38 AM

Actually I have morals

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/203...e-distance.jpg

AAAAALLLLLLLL the way over there.

I really don't use morals much, my soul knows what's best.

MsSquid 05-09-2012 10:11 AM

ITT: Having some basic business sense = being a monster no morals.

Cornflake 05-10-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumatora (Post 1717571)

profit isn't everything. i saw an ebay listing once where someone had one of those neat mr. saturn dolls, in their listing they said they got it from a friend in japan and never opened it. when i get cool gifts from foreign friends i never even consider selling them, though i do sometimes look up how much they're worth.

RoflKnife 05-10-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornflake (Post 1718347)
profit isn't everything. i saw an ebay listing once where someone had one of those neat mr. saturn dolls, in their listing they said they got it from a friend in japan and never opened it. when i get cool gifts from foreign friends i never even consider selling them, though i do sometimes look up how much they're worth.

Well it is to some people. People have different ways of what they find fulfilling in life, and (un?)fortunately, there isn't any right way of living it. You can think they're jerks for selling their gift, but you can't say they're objectively wrong for doing it in this case.

Metty 05-11-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Took the words right out of my fingers.

Veloze 05-11-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

This.

SlowBro 05-12-2012 07:57 AM

ITT: Having some basic business sense = no friends forever alone.

Cornflake 05-13-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoflKnife (Post 1718380)
Well it is to some people. People have different ways of what they find fulfilling in life, and (un?)fortunately, there isn't any right way of living it. You can think they're jerks for selling their gift, but you can't say they're objectively wrong for doing it in this case.

he's objectively a jerk though.