Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-01-2012   #1 (permalink)
DTF
Games
Trickster OnlineLuniaDragon SagaLa Tale
Awards MoM Award

Location: south of the north pole and north of the south pole
kale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kale15
Default Walled off from the gaming community

This isn't really a "rant" so much as a personal vent of feelings. I'm not mad, just sad this is the person I've turned into.

I haven't played an MMO where the NPCs use English in over a month. Not because I prefer Japanese MMOs over English MMOs, but as I prefer my guild of Japanese friends over meeting new people on a English MMO. While my Japanese friends are great to talk to and play with, I would prefer to be sleeping when they are most active. However I have abandoned the English game community as (I don't like generalizing this, but I will) everyone I "meet" either speaks what I'm assuming is Portuguese(or w/e all those that go "BR?" speak), is kinda of an a**hat (the trolling insults are getting horrific now), or AFK (I can understand it places that you can "AFK play", but if your just leaving the game for 10 hours, log out.)

So this is the trade I have made unreasonable gaming hours for people I can talk to. I can see how I've come to this point, how I have walled myself off. I have kinda an offensive sense of humor, it's been referred to by friends as lovable douche. So I would stick to guild members as to not offend the populous at large. Then instead of replenishing my group of friends I would rely on my guild to bring them to me. My Japanese friends and new friends would reach out to me, and talk and invite me to play other/newer MMOs with them. While at the same time my English friends, we would drift apart, and lose contact with each other. Part of that is my fault too, but it would be nice to feel wanted, and be invited to something, instead of feeling like the invitee all the time.

So that's where I am, I have walled myself off from new people. I would like to change that, and I would like to think this is the first step. Either way it feels good to write out my feelings about this situation I have painted myself into.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-01-2012   #2 (permalink)
~Karan Worshipper~
Games
Tales of Pirates 2Tales of PiratesTrickster OnlineRusty Hearts
Awards Retired Wiki StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

WingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond reputeWingedSylphe has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: SealFighter/Ayme
Class: Diva/Natasha to_primadonna
Level: 319/50
Guild: <<Firefly>>/Resurrection
Xfire: sylpheondine

*hands out an apple pie at kale*

Well to be honest, I kinda have the same feeling here.
I'm french, but instead of staying with my french friends in one mmorpg i played since 2007 (Tales of Pirates), I moved up to other mmorpgs with peeps from USA/Asia I had more fun with, like Rusty Hearts or Trickster.
And well, this also affects my gameplay time since it's either too early or too late for me when i'm playing lol.

But well, you didn't wall yourself off, you still have the ggFTW community! :3

05-01-2012   #3 (permalink)
Games
Trickster OnlineHello Kitty OnlineMabinogi

Nikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond repute

I get where you're coming from. In sophomore year of high school, I started doing online school and everyone who I thought was my friend just stopped contact with me, even after numerous attempts to try to stay in touch. I had even tried talking to them about how I felt unwanted and nothing changed. I learned that these weren't people I wanted to associate with, anyway. I also think friendships, for the most part, should be effortless.

I don't really know how to end this post.

05-02-2012   #4 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny
Guild: Guardians

Ok I've just blabbed off on a tangent

As they say the first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one.
I personally do a poor job trying to maintain friendships. It's now been 1 and a half years since I graduated and I only talk to about 4 of the people I knew there on a regular basis. However I bump into old school mates once in a while and we are happy to catch up with each other.
Online friends, once they leave I find it hard to keep in contact with them. I find that my issue is that it seems the friendship was only there because we played the game together. So once they quit, we had little to talk about.

But getting back to Kale; I think being open to anyone is a good thing; accepting people makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. My first day at uni, I felt really lonely and then this girl came and sat next to me; suddenly I made many friends. Given that, maybe you just need to find one person and finding that one person will have a good flow on effect.

And don't abandon your Japanese friends. The clearly are great people. Better to have a few good friends than a few million not so good friends.

And btw, thanks for all the translation work; I really appreciate the time you spend.

05-02-2012   #5 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeos
I also think friendships, for the most part, should be effortless.
lol
no.

05-02-2012   #6 (permalink)
Games
Trickster OnlineHello Kitty OnlineMabinogi

Nikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond repute

Good points you have. I meant that it shouldn't have to feel like it's a hassle to even be friends with someone.