ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   Bad Economy (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/111565-bad-economy.html)

Richeyz1337 04-30-2012 06:15 AM

Bad Economy

I wasted $30 going to the carnival. Got a strawberry for my cousin for $5 and wasted my last $7 on fries and a bottle of water.

I want to go on a trip that's $40. Plus my graduation fee which is also around $40.

My dad said I can't buy anything for a long time. So much for getting the Avacyn Restored MtG set or the AQW points card I need.

I hate this economy

Nebula 05-03-2012 02:30 AM

It appears that it's more of a budget issue.
It's great to put money aside so that you can later enjoy it. Then you can have everything you want (well not really).
And have you got a job? I assume by your post that you're rather young.
I know many people who work less than 10 hours a week to have some spending money (me included).

Queen 05-03-2012 08:51 PM

Going to any sort of amusement park is a giant waste of money, no offense. I agree, it's more of a budgeting issue. I mean, it can be fun. But expect to feel like concession stands rob you. They are.

I'll be working up to 68 hours a week this summer. Doesn't mean I'm going to go on a spending spree. In fact, I think I'll save more than ever, because I want to save up for a deposit on an apartment maybe.

I'm guessing you either don't have much experience with money or just got a job and you realize you can't spend all that you think you can. I was working 12 hours a week and making about 110 dollars and between gas and some food expenses for school I actually didn't have much left over. Unless you can pick up a lot of hours somewhere, if you have expenses like gas to pay for your money won't go around (especially if you're me and live 20 miles from the nearest civilization, whooo villages!)

Also, this is just me inferring, if your parents have you paying graduation fee (assuming high school here), it's probably one of those life lessons things. You can't always pay for everything, and the older and the more money you make, the harder it becomes because you do things like move out, and then maybe you want to hang out but you're barely making rent this month, etc.

Like El said, put aside like 10 dollars a week (assuming you're working) into savings and every so often take some out to well, go out.

Nebula 05-04-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelie (Post 1713941)
Going to any sort of amusement park is a giant waste of money, no offense. I agree, it's more of a budgeting issue. I mean, it can be fun. But expect to feel like concession stands rob you. They are.

I'll be working up to 68 hours a week this summer. Doesn't mean I'm going to go on a spending spree. In fact, I think I'll save more than ever, because I want to save up for a deposit on an apartment maybe.

I'm guessing you either don't have much experience with money or just got a job and you realize you can't spend all that you think you can. I was working 12 hours a week and making about 110 dollars and between gas and some food expenses for school I actually didn't have much left over. Unless you can pick up a lot of hours somewhere, if you have expenses like gas to pay for your money won't go around (especially if you're me and live 20 miles from the nearest civilization, whooo villages!)

Also, this is just me inferring, if your parents have you paying graduation fee (assuming high school here), it's probably one of those life lessons things. You can't always pay for everything, and the older and the more money you make, the harder it becomes because you do things like move out, and then maybe you want to hang out but you're barely making rent this month, etc.

Like El said, put aside like 10 dollars a week (assuming you're working) into savings and every so often take some out to well, go out.

I think you should listen to Chelie in this matter. I haven't moved out so I still leech off my parents, I earn somewhere between $50-100 a week. Since I have few living expenses, I save quite a lot of it. This will come in handy when I finally decide to move out as I'll have a little cash to sustain myself.

And the first big thing I bought; I saved up all my allowance for several years and got some money for my birthday and such. Eventually I saved enough to by a telescope that cost $2000. My allowance was about $10 a week I think.

Queen 05-04-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyEl (Post 1714079)
I think you should listen to Chelie in this matter. I haven't moved out so I still leech off my parents, I earn somewhere between $50-100 a week. Since I have few living expenses, I save quite a lot of it. This will come in handy when I finally decide to move out as I'll have a little cash to sustain myself.

And the first big thing I bought; I saved up all my allowance for several years and got some money for my birthday and such. Eventually I saved enough to by a telescope that cost $2000. My allowance was about $10 a week I think.

Yeah, I'm still at home, and I thought you know, 110ish a week would be more than enough. It really isn't. I have one loan payment per month (50) and travel at least 120 miles a week (24 mi a day times 5)

Like, when the fair rolls into town, I don't care who's going or who wants to go, I don't. I have Six Flags Seasons Passes this year, but my friends and I figured out the cost-effectiveness (if we go even just twice, we save money on tickets), so yeah I have that. But I'm also making up to 400+ a week this year (don't know my second jobs payrate yet), so expensive amusement park food once a month I think I can handle now.

kuyaBaka 05-09-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelie (Post 1713941)

Listen to Tay-tay. She knows what she's talking about.
The economy might not be in the best shape right now, but I don't think it's really biting you just yet. You're really just spending money on the extra fun stuff. If you've really got those things you want to buy, then you should be saving that money instead of going to the carnival. And El is right; it's really a budgeting kind of an issue. You just need to know when it's really the right time to start spending.

For me, I limit myself to going to the mall no more than twice a month. And I make sure one of those trips is just to check things out; not to buy stuff. This semester, I've noticed that I don't even take trips to the mall anymore. All my money is being spent buying materials for projects and other things I have obligations to pay for (chipping in for my housing fees, buying food, etc.). Really, my entertainment budget is down to $15/month for World of Warcraft. The other like $100 goes to buying my food on the weekends. Just so I still have enough to save for buying a new computer for next semester.

Tardar 05-09-2012 05:59 PM

As Tay, El, and Kevin have already pointed out: it is all about budgeting. You really have to learn how to plan. Do I want to spend $30 and go to the carnival today, or spend $30 and go hang out with friends? This is especially important once you hit college and your parents can't exactly say "no" as easily as they could before.

I mean yeah, it might seem a bit rough, but once you're more independent and actually realizes how far you may have to stretch your money, you'll realize the importance of budgeting.

Versalia 06-27-2012 07:20 PM

A strawberry for $5? Woah o_o...

Recette 06-27-2012 07:50 PM

I would agree that this sounds like a budget issue. Plan ahead of time and focus in your priorities, namely, things you cannot live without.

As for spending money in specific hobbies or events, that is subjective and individual. As long as you can confortably meet your priorities - that would include saving for the future - nothing is a waste of money if you believe the money invested provided a good return, such as fun in the amusement park. Some like to dine in 50$ per person restaurants, others are happy with a 10$ diner meal.