ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Rant Forum

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

View Poll Results: Is she abusing her hamster?
Yes 4 26.67%
No 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-08-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster OnlineMapleStory

1337 has disabled reputation
IGN: Nymf
Class: Bunny S2 to_bunny
Level: 18x (umm... i really need to lv. Someone please join my Tap 1 royal/special party. I miss Tap 1
Guild: Dawn
Exclamation Is this animal abuse?

Alright, i will make an unbiased poll..

hamster swimming - YouTube

swimming hamster 2 - YouTube

I say, she is fine and innocent, nothing wrong. Now, ggftw ppl, what are your thoughts? Although, the hamster may get sick because of its oils against water (Thanks, Mitchi )

After reading the comments, these so called 'humans' (they are obviously trolls) hurt her like beyond abuse. Negative Examples:

Quote:
If she was beaten with a brick in an alleyway for hours and hours on end... I'd be okay with that, shit, anyone who's that ****ing stupid and given control over an animals life should be pelted with bricks consistently.
Do not compare a short swim and a hand to the safety towel vs to a hard heavy brick.

Quote:
Stupid *****. I hope you never reproduce. People like you shouldn't exist.
Going to far there. :/

Positive comments:

Quote:
Oh my gosh, people really need to shut up and stop commenting about animal abuse... Hamsters are mammals and all mammals can swim... Shut the heck up its not animal abuse. You guys are idiots. I dont understand how you can sit there on your laptop and scream about animal abuse to strangers when there is child abuse and world hunger... go do something about that.
True.

Quote:
oh no!! a hamster swimming in a sink for 20 seconds!! forget war, famine, disease, or even real animal abuse! this is just too far!! but seriously that hamsters life must stuck being stuck in a cage, at least hes doing something. also, he has a tiny brain, and probably forget 2 secounds later. grow some balls people.
QFT

Quote:
lol whats up with all the hatefull comments?.... its just a hamster swimming...
I am sure these trolls can not swim. Lawl.

So... am i right or wrong? Please be honest about your answers, negative or positive, i will accept them.

These are the many reasons i do not trust common humans (1,081 likes, 11,432 dislikes). They have no true heart.

Yes: 1... please explain?
No: 1.. thank u..

Here is another example, but this time a bunny, just a short swim.. and they do not get sick if u dry them, it is like showering a cat or dog.. erm, they may get sick because of its oils against water (Thanks, Mitchi ):

http://youtu.be/b7AjIXHDgf8

Ugly negatives:

Quote:
die b!tch
Quote:
Your sick as I said before! I hope that you go to hell and burn for ever,
You go to hell... that is where corrupted humans like u belong. loool

Bunny's Bath - YouTube

Very smart comment:
Quote:
OMFG RABBITS DIE IF THEY GET WET' Yes because I hear the streets are littered with rabbits that have died when it RAINED.
Lool... rain.

Positive:
Quote:
Another smart person:
are you people retarded?

how the hell do you idiots classify a floating rabbit as abuse?

real animal abuse would be hitting an animal, burning it on purpose, cutting it, cooking it alive, etc.

i saw none of that.
Lawl, yes, beyond retardism. Floating rabbit... lolol

Last edited by 1337; 02-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-08-2012   #2 (permalink)
Phat booty is <3
Games
Trickster Online

prison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to prison
IGN: [Banned from TO All over]
Level: xxx
Guild: God of War

It's a hamster swimming. It's no big deal. People are way over zealous, and should gtfo. It's no big deal. It isn't like the person put the hamster in the sink and left it in there forever.

02-08-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games

Level: 18x (umm... i really need to lv. Someone please join my Tap 1 royal/special party. I miss Tap 1

Yeah, true that!

It is amazing that how cruel those people say things to her, example: 'Go die, b!tch' or 'I hope you never reproduce. People like you shouldn't exist.'

Obviously, these ppl are just corrupted.. that is why there are poor countries in this world and also poor places in rich countries. Several (many?) ppl have no sense of conscientiousness or scrupulosity (careful; the inner sense of what is right or wrong).

Last edited by 1337; 02-08-2012 at 06:18 PM.

02-08-2012   #4 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

It's not animal abuse, but it could be ignorance. Hamsters don't usually swim, and while it can be good exercise, it can also lead to them getting sick. If she knows this, then yes, it is abuse, if she doesn't, then she just doesn't know better, but it isn't abuse.

Some hamsters like to swim though. I can't really answer without knowing her situation, but she seems pretty dumb, since she essentially tossed the hamster into the sink instead of gently lowering it in.

02-08-2012   #5 (permalink)
Socially Awkward Penguin
Games
Cosmic BreakNostaleLa TaleGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

cornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Corneal35/CORNmecha
Class: Ruinwalker\Engistar lt_treasurehunter
Level: 19X/16X
Guild: StarOcean

Youtube comments are rarely ever taken seriously since a good majority are just trolls. Its not like she left the hamster in the sink to die compared to the other animal abuse you see on the internet

02-08-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi
It's not animal abuse, but it could be ignorance. Hamsters don't usually swim, and while it can be good exercise, it can also lead to them getting sick. If she knows this, then yes, it is abuse, if she doesn't, then she just doesn't know better, but it isn't abuse.

Some hamsters like to swim though. I can't really answer without knowing her situation, but she seems pretty dumb, since she essentially tossed the hamster into the sink instead of gently lowering it in.
It is also like a dog or cat... do they get sick? If dried completely, no sickness, as long they do not swallow the water... and about the 'toss'.. the 1st vid was gentle, but the 2nd was moderate, but not abuse.

Quote:
Youtube comments are rarely ever taken seriously since a good majority are just trolls.
These trolls are humans in real life, but the ugly corrupted ones.

Last edited by 1337; 02-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.

02-08-2012   #7 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

people that feel the urge to express horrifically violent things to someone, or killing someone in a gruesome way, outside of revenge for something on a equal level, is in the wrong in my book.

She might possibly have brought harm to the animal, but saying such horrible and sick things makes you no better than a TRUE violent animal abuser. Why stoop to that level? That's still a human being those people are describing murdering, and its awful.

I'm ot defending abuse. but there has to be a line when it comes to the anger surrounding such. Don't become what you hate, even if its in words.

02-08-2012   #8 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337
It is also like a dog or cat... do they get sick? If dried completely, no sickness, as long they do not swallow the water... and about the 'toss'.. the 1st vid was gentle, but the 2nd was moderate, but not abuse.
Actually no, dogs and cats are different from hamsters. Bathing a hamster is similar to bathing a Samoyed, you shouldn't do it because it strips away some very important oils in their fur. And without those oils, hamsters are highly susceptible to pneumonia, and can easily die. It's not about whether it's dried off or not.

As I said, ignorance on her part (and many others).

As for the toss, no, hamsters are pretty fragile. You don't toss them into a ceramic sink. If the water is deep enough to properly cushion their fall, it's too deep for them. Like I said, the girl is likely just dumb.

02-08-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi
Actually no, dogs and cats are different from hamsters. Bathing a hamster is similar to bathing a Samoyed, you shouldn't do it because it strips away some very important oils in their fur. And without those oils, hamsters are highly susceptible to pneumonia, and can easily die. It's not about whether it's dried off or not.

As I said, ignorance on her part (and many others).

As for the toss, no, hamsters are pretty fragile. You don't toss them into a ceramic sink. If the water is deep enough to properly cushion their fall, it's too deep for them. Like I said, the girl is likely just dumb.
Alright... i did not know that... now about those oils.. thanks.

Uncommon ignorance is fine but common sense ignorance is not.

A person owning a hamster would not know that, unless.

Last edited by 1337; 02-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.

02-08-2012   #10 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
Alright... i did not know that... now about those oils.. thanks.

Ignorance is fine but common sense ignorance is not.

A person owning a hamster would not know that, unless.
I love hamsters

But yeah, the oils are the reason they sell special little "bathtub" things for hamsters, basically a little dish that you put clay based sand into, and the hamster can roll around and clean the excess oil and dirt off themselves (since that's how wild hamsters clean themselves). It's really cute.

02-08-2012   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games

Smile

I love hamsters too ...(though i like white ferrets more, heh, Negima ) but do not know about the oil thingy... hehe.. that is not a common sense ignorance as many do not know that.., unless they are an expert.

For those who want to know:
Common sense ignorance like not locking the car door when u go home or car's window when raining hard. A burning car, a dude poor gas/oil on it instead of cold water. Or a dude sees a real human-lookalike girl doll near the dark alley and goes up and rapes it... lol.

Uncommon ignorance is something not known ordinarily nor often, like the oils of a hamster.

Remember, not all ignorance are the same, negative or positive, common or uncommon.

Last edited by 1337; 02-09-2012 at 07:18 AM.

02-08-2012   #12 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's borderline abuse. Firstly, she shows now care at all when she puts it in the water; she kind of plunks it in there. Secondly, as Mitchi has said, it's not entirely good for a hamster (or any small rodent for that matter) to get wet. I'm perfectly fine accepting ignorance, but if she had about 10 videos of the same hamster swimming I would definitely say it's abuse.

02-08-2012   #13 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games

Quote:
though i like white ferrets more
White/grey ferrets (aka silver mitts) are better. Careful with ferrets though, they have a very particular (and very strong) smell that not everyone can handle. I'm one of those weird people that actually likes the smell of ferrets :P

They're my second favorite pet, next to dogs.

02-08-2012   #14 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

There was just something on reddit about bathing bunnies.

Quote:
Although a rare bunny may grow up swimming in the family pool and going on camping trips where she paddles around in the lake, the vast majority of rabbits, like their ancestors, do not relish getting wet. Even an occasional bath is quite stressful to the average rabbit, and is not recommended. NEVER--unless your veterinarian advises it to bring down a fever--should you give a sick rabbit a bath. Because seemingly healthy rabbits can have undiagnosed problems, it's best not to subject them to the stress of a bath. If your rabbit is very badly infested with fleas, there's a good chance that he is already compromised and may go into shock when bathed. There are many safe alternatives to flea control (see these under "Fleas," above). Also, a thoroughly wet rabbit takes a very long time to dry, so spot cleaning the dirty area with an application of baby cornstarch (available at any supermarket in the baby section) (do not use talcum, as it is carcinogenic) and then gently combing out the dirt with a fine flea comb is better than a wet bath. A wet rabbit can quickly become hypothermic. If your rabbit is wet to the skin for any reason, be sure to thoroughly blow dry the bunny until even the undercoat is dry and fluffy. Normal rabbit body temperature ranges from 101oF - 103oF. Because rabbit skin is very delicate, and rabbits are sensitive to heat, never use a blow dryer on a setting higher than "warm," and constantly monitor the temperature of the air on the bunny's skin by placing your hand in its path.
Don't know where the person got the information from, but like others have said, some animals shouldn't be bathed.

She could be ignorant, but it's the responsibility of a pet owner to research about the animal before getting one. You find out what they can/cannot eat, what daily things they need etc.

Her ignorance is equivalent to getting a puppy and feeding it chocolate, mushrooms, onions etc. Eating is a common thing, and so is cleaning. She should have researched on how to clean her pets (if that's what she's doing anyway).

I don't know if it's abuse or ignorance, but she's clearly irresponsible. It doesn't matter whether it was common knowledge or common sense (or whatever you want to call it). RESEARCH before you take on responsibility. Don't just get a pet because it's "cute", consider whether you can provide what they need.

Last edited by Yume; 02-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.

02-09-2012   #15 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Krem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Krem
IGN: Kremet
Class: Seleana lt_sorcerer
Level: 70
Guild: KuroNeko
Xfire: riolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume
RESEARCH before you take on responsibility.
When getting a pet people usually try to find out what they should do to the pet, not what they shouldn't do. Just saying that you can't expect people to try to find out every single detail about caring for a pet, especially if they're kids.

And about the hamster, nobody pointed out that he didn't try to escape from the girls hands. It just sat there calmly. If the girl had actually abused it i doubt a hyperactive pet like that would just sit in her hands.

02-09-2012   #16 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

I don't see whats wrong with making a hamster swimming

02-09-2012   #17 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
When getting a pet people usually try to find out what they should do to the pet, not what they shouldn't do. Just saying that you can't expect people to try to find out every single detail about caring for a pet, especially if they're kids.

And about the hamster, nobody pointed out that he didn't try to escape from the girls hands. It just sat there calmly. If the girl had actually abused it i doubt a hyperactive pet like that would just sit in her hands.
Diet, bathing techniques, exercise etc should be looked up before getting a pet.
If the person was a kid, then that's a bit of a different story, but if she was at least a teen or older, then she should have looked something up. Cleaning is a basic thing. You can' just assume that the animal bathes the same way you do (eg hedgehog).

I don't know about you, but I think there are some basic things that you should look up before you get a pet. I mean, bunnies don't just eat carrots.

02-09-2012   #18 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Adura has disabled reputation

Keep this shit in the youtube comments.

02-09-2012   #19 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

In the Owner's defense most likely the hamster is just taking a bath, I mean I did that a lot with my hamsters before.
And plus it's not really animal abuse.

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

02-09-2012   #20 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

Sure it looks like it's trying to get out of the sink but that's because lots of animals usually don't like getting wet, if you were pushed into a swimming pool unexpectedly, wouldn't you try to get out?

It's like taking a bath, even human kids may try to get out of the bathtub when you try to bath them.

It's fine if you don't do this excessively enough for the hamster to get sick or depressed.

Although there is one thing wrong though, don't THROW the hamster into the sink like in the 2nd video.