Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation
Default This isn't funny anymore.

Epic to charge $45 for Weapon Skins in Gears 3 - NeoGAF

Just something about Gears of Wars 3, which is a game I don't care for. This DLC information of it though...involves the pricing for skins.

Quote:
Available on Day One:

Each Set Static - 240 points
Each Set Animated - 320 points
Weapon Collections - 1200 points (x5 Weapons)
Launch Collection - 3600 points (Every Skin Every Weapon)

Set = All five starting weapons
Collections = 5 collections of 21 skins, each containing every skin for the Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Gnasher or Sawed of Shotgun
Example = Rainbow Lancer

This was just announced on Epic's official live stream by Gears lead - Rod Fergusson. I will update the OP when the official post goes out.

These skins CAN NOT be unlocked, and must be purchased as DLC to access them. Unfortunately, the skins are on the disc but the user must pay to unlock them.

The Gears of War Season Pass DOES NOT include the weapon skins so you are looking at an additional $30 for the downloadable maps.
Ok, let's take things one at a time.

If you want every skin, it will cost you 3600 MS points. MS points get cheaper per point as you buy more of it in bulk. There's a 3500 card, and a 4000 card available. The 3500 won't do, and the 4000 is the next step up. Amazon says a 4000 point card is $47.75 as of this post. Let's cut them some slack, you're actually paying about $42 for 3600 points, so $42 for 21 skins.

These skins cannot be unlocked in-game, and are not included in the shiny Season Pass, so you are FORCED to buy the DLC if you want them. And they're already on disc. Day one.

Back the hell up. First, $42 for 21 weapon skins? Are you shitting me? Holy shit. $2 a pop, for replacing the texture on a weapon. You see different texture in the game? Count them all. Now multiply them by $2. I guarantee you, it'll at least exceed the price of the game by at least tenfold. A texture is not worth $2. That said, why are these skins worth so much? What makes them so special? Nothing.

Ok, yeah, they're not special, they're just aesthetic. They don't give you an edge or anything, and you don't HAVE to buy it. Well you know what? This is day one DLC, it's already on the disc. Why are they even selling this? It should come with the god damn game. "But it's just extra content, you don't have to get it!" Bullshit! Every game with an option to change colours, costumes, maps, game mode, side quests, whatever? Take them out. Now add a price tag on them. That is what a day one DLC is like. They can be treated as "extra content" as well. But they're not. If it's already on the disc, and available for sale the day the game is shipped, it should come with the bloody game. (Actually, evne if it's not day one DLC, $2 for a RESKIN. A PALETTE SWAP. Think about that. Just think about it.)

Well whatever, I still don't have to buy it. I'm not missing much anyway, even if this stuff should be included. Well you know what? Stuff like this sets a precedent. It shows over the years. Before? Stuff like this was free. New game modes, skins, maps, quests, blah blah, came free. They just got patched in. And then slowly, we started getting stuff like map packs for $10, $15. What the hell man. Do the math, take every instance of every quest, skin, whatever already in the game, and multiply it by the cost of the DLC. It exceeds the price of the game. Why the hell is this crap so expensive?

Now, DLC for "extra" stuff like this is everywhere. You hear people talking about the new map pack or weapon pack for the extremely popular FPS games and such. People buy this stuff, and companies make note of it. "Hey, _____ sold ______ for ___ each, and they sold _____ of it! We should do it too!" and so, if an idea to make money works, why would any company NOT use it? More (day one) DLC will appear because of this, and at increasing prices. I am NOT ok with this.

A lot of DLC isn't anywhere worth the price. $5-15 to add this extra quest line, to extend my gameplay for 5~ hours? Are you kidding me? Most of the time this crap isn't even well integrated into the game, and is sort of like a removed section of the game, not connected with anything else. Made just to artificially extend playing time. Don't get me wrong, there are SOME that actually are worth it, and actually add to the game. Improved gameplay, more mechanics, content that interact with the rest of the game, adding 15+ hours of gameplay....for the same price, of $5-15. But these are so rare, and even then, it's likely they pale in comparison to expansions, something almost non-existant now-a-days.

Expansions were like DLCs. Except they usually cost a bit more. And usually added much more. You could call a game by itself a full game, but the expansion that would come out in the next year or two, would add a great deal more to the game, tacking on another 15+ hours of gameplay, and improving the game overall.

I thought the idea of DLC was pretty neat at first. Kinda like expansions, but mini-versions. Seemed like a good idea, add small bits of content, and if people don't want a certain piece, they can just not buy it, and get what they do want. But as time passed, day one DLC emerged. And the prices shot up. What was once free now costs $1-4. Why? Because people kept buying DLC at slowly increasing prices, and lower game:money ratios. Companies kept trying to see how far they can push it, and still are now. People kept buying and buying, so things got worse and worse. Whether I buy this "extra" content or not doesn't matter any more. Someone will. Many people will. And their purchases urge the developers to withhold more content, and increase prices. Suddenly, I am left with games that are stripped down, forcing me to buy ridiculously priced "DLC" to make the game fun.

I haven't been happy with how DLC has been affecting games for a while, but this one takes the cake. I don't want your overpriced shit, even though I should have it with the game, but it seems like soon, I will be forced to get this crap. I'm not completely anti-DLC, I do believe it could be a good thing for games if used right...but it rarely is.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-17-2011   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaAlicia

iARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the roughiARE1337 is a jewel in the rough

I hate when games purposely hold back content with the intent of releasing it as a DLC. Just flipping release it with the initial release and release DLCs when you actually come up with something new.

I like the idea of not having to wait and buy a new game or an expansion, but with the way most DLCs are handled, I'm just left with half-assed content and a hole in my wallet.

09-17-2011   #3 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Reminds me of why I refuse to buy any Ubisoft games now. Bought the last PoP game as I enjoy that series, oh look they want 800 points for the ending. **** you I'm glad I got the collectors edition for 5.

09-17-2011   #4 (permalink)
Phat booty is <3
Games
Trickster Online

prison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to prison
IGN: [Banned from TO All over]
Level: xxx
Guild: God of War

the only games that I find DLC are worth it, are Mafia 2, the elder scrolls series, fallout and borderlands. (there may be a few other, but not many) these games/companies have given great DLC that add hours and hours of fun for $10 or less. like for example borderlands - each of the 4 DLCs is -at least- a 2-3 hour extension. but there is tremendous re-playability. I wish other companies would do DLC like these games have.

09-17-2011   #5 (permalink)
Socially Awkward Penguin
Games
Cosmic BreakNostaleLa TaleGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

cornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Corneal35/CORNmecha
Class: Ruinwalker\Engistar lt_treasurehunter
Level: 19X/16X
Guild: StarOcean

Wow so much money for just weapon skins and people are dumb enough to actually buy it to. I wonder how much something that acually useful in the game gonna cost x.x

09-18-2011   #6 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, this is bullshit. I don't mind it when DLC is done correctly (like prison has mentioned), but I absolutely HATE DLC when it is done out of pure greed.

All businesses/companies are out to make money, I get that, but what even happened to making sure that a decent amount of the playerbase will get their entertainment that is worth the price? Say what you want about Blizzard, but I love them because they actually care about making high quality products (and the expansions are just as epic).

09-21-2011   #7 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for the industry to crash all over again. Or begin a harsh decline.

With the methods a lot of companies have been taking, I can see it happening.

09-22-2011   #8 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

Picture related.

| Adventus |

09-22-2011   #9 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

shirakani's blog 2 years too late.

09-22-2011   #10 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's not even the worst part. The worst part comes when you realize there's major bugs in the game that shipped out a few weeks later that cause a rollback on the global leader boards and erase all your achievements. You know, bugs that were never fixed by launch because the team was too busy figuring out how to DLC you to death when the game ships. The only reason they bother to fix it is because it will impact sales.

09-22-2011   #11 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Fixed and broke your picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho
shirakani's blog 2 years too late.
He just put his foot down earlier. Now I put mine down. So when are the masses gonna put theirs down?

09-22-2011   #12 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife

He just put his foot down earlier. Now I put mine down. So when are the masses gonna put theirs down?
pirating games since day 1

09-22-2011   #13 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

Pirates: We win no matter how!

| Adventus |

09-22-2011   #14 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure on this but this seems like the initial game purchase is a loss leader and DLC is where they make real money. It's just like selling a 200$ bike for 180$ and upselling accessories / repair services / warranties and shit to make money. The sad thing is that the initial game purchase is still at a high price. I hate this marketing strategy in games because I naturally want everything unlike some gay biker shorts :<

If the initial purchase isn't a net loss then they are just super greedy lol. I'd be interested in the real numbers. These anti-pirating strategies are so secretive =(