Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-09-2011   #1 (permalink)
iClimax
Games
Grand ChaseLuniaMapleStoryLost Saga
Awards Facebook Fan

Veggi is a jewel in the roughVeggi is a jewel in the roughVeggi is a jewel in the roughVeggi is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Veggi
Guild: -
Default [Veggi's Rant!] Looks of Shame

I recently had graduated HS (yay for me!) and was sucessfully able to get a major in the college i wanted to go to. The problem is, Everybody and their mothers ask you what college your going to and what major. (Yes if you had graduated, familys friends, even random people on the street ask you this question.)

Here's my rant.

Cal State East Bay (Bay side!)
My Major is Biology.
I want to go into Pre-Med.
Im Black / African American. (SURPIRSE!)

Now, here's the best part; When I tell them what major Im going into, they stop the converstation and confused look. What annoys me is how their are shocked what I chose and give me a Look of shame / pity.

"Thats a Long Road"
"Are you sure you want to go that path?"
"Why not Buiness or something Eles"

Listen you Sterotypical Dbag, I chose this path beacuse I've been around nurses and doctors my whole life. Hell my whole family-chain is into Nursing and Pre-Med. Don't class me as the ne'er-do-well black people who smoke blunts, drink, have sex every where they go. I was raised properly, worked hard, have a job, own a car, insured it with help, and trying to be "somebody" in this jobless economy.

"Words can not describe how much I Love Shnao".

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-09-2011   #2 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

It's just racial stereotyping. Everyone has to deal with it at some point, no matter what race, color, or creed. Use their "negativity" to help fuel you to prove them wrong.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

09-12-2011   #3 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this has anything to do with racial stereotyping unless you want it to...which would make you the chief offender.

Just defend your decision intelligently, the better your argument for it the more resolve you'll have to finish it.

09-12-2011   #4 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Yeah, I didn't actually note anything that bad. People aren't necessarily looking down on you personally... The way you made this read, it looks more like they're more concerned about the fact that by taking the med route, you're essentially locking yourself into school for 7+ years, followed by more years of work before you can even call yourself a doctor. People suggest a business major because it's generally much easier (and more realistic) to get a job with a business degree. Not only that, but as a doctor you'll have to get malpractice insurance, etc., which in the current economy is a lot more trouble than it's worth.

That being said, business is an overpopulated major, so you should just do what you want. Go bio if you want, or maybe just spend your first year exploring, trying out classes and seeing what you enjoy the most.

09-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

Despite me growing up in a family of doctors and nurses, I'm not going for any medical courses lol. It's a looooooooooong road for anyone to take, so props to ya!

If it's a feeling of race in a certain field, don't worry just be you. Reminds me of Neil Degrasse Tyson, the most awesome astro-physicist EVER! This video on youtube should help you out a bit.

A Story About Race - Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

09-12-2011   #6 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Yeah, I didn't actually note anything that bad. People aren't necessarily looking down on you personally... The way you made this read, it looks more like they're more concerned about the fact that by taking the med route, you're essentially locking yourself into school for 7+ years, followed by more years of work before you can even call yourself a doctor. People suggest a business major because it's generally much easier (and more realistic) to get a job with a business degree. Not only that, but as a doctor you'll have to get malpractice insurance, etc., which in the current economy is a lot more trouble than it's worth.
Basically exactly what I was thinking.

Also agreeing with SlowBro, if anyone's being racially stereotypical, it's you because you jumped to conclusions. Like Harlequin said, Pre-Med is a very long road which isn't even that practical in this economy.

09-12-2011   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

MidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud ofMidnightSnack has much to be proud of
IGN: MidnightSnack
Class: Cow to_wizard
Level: Fairly nubbles.
Guild: Astro Blitz

I don't see how business ties into being black.

Or how pre-med doesn't.

I think you're over reacting, but I do respect your decision to take such a difficult course. C:

( `)
" Hay baybay ~ ♥ "
+ rep if I helped!

or at least say thank you.
I like thank yous.

Or don't, you jerk. ( - n-)

09-13-2011   #8 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
IGN: Kremet
Class: Seleana lt_sorcerer
Level: 70
Guild: KuroNeko
Xfire: riolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggi

Listen you Sterotypical Dbag, I chose this path beacuse I've been around nurses and doctors my whole life. Hell my whole family-chain is into Nursing and Pre-Med. Don't class me as the ne'er-do-well black people who smoke blunts, drink, have sex every where they go. I was raised properly, worked hard, have a job, own a car, insured it with help, and trying to be "somebody" in this jobless economy.
Instead of ranting like that you should give them a grin and say "for staring like that at me, when you end up on my table i'll cut you open and take you out of anesthesia".

Last edited by Riolu; 09-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.

09-13-2011   #9 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
"for staring like that at me, when you end up on my table i'll cut you opend and take you out of anesthesia".
O_o I'm trying to comprehend what you're trying to say.

09-13-2011   #10 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0n
O_o I'm trying to comprehend what you're trying to say.
He's saying that Veggi should threaten these people with purposeful medical malpractice, by under-dosing their anesthesia so that they wake up on the operating table.

Don't mind me, I fluently comprehend the language of ignorance. :v

09-13-2011   #11 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's saying that Veggi should threaten these people with purposeful medical malpractice, by under-dosing their anesthesia so that they wake up on the operating table.

Not to continue to derail, but isn't the anesthesiologist the one in charge of administering/dosing the anesthesia during the operation? O_O

09-13-2011   #12 (permalink)
Phat booty is <3
Games
Trickster Online

prison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond reputeprison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to prison
IGN: [Banned from TO All over]
Level: xxx
Guild: God of War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momiji
Not to continue to derail, but isn't the anesthesiologist the one in charge of administering/dosing the anesthesia during the operation? O_O
....that's exactly the point

09-13-2011   #13 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

thread full of derp, o wait im in rant section

09-14-2011   #14 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Under-dosed anesthesia = waking up

What

Last edited by k0n; 09-14-2011 at 04:26 AM.

09-14-2011   #15 (permalink)
全砲門!Fire!
Special
Games
LuniaLuna OnlineLand of Chaos OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerWandering EyeTwitter FanPervert Award

Gladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud of
IGN: 混合
Level: ⑨
Guild: NoGay

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0n
Under-dosed anesthesia = waking up

What
There's different kinds of anesthesia.

Local anesthesia is usually just removing all sensations of a small portion of the body, but general anesthesia will put a person to sleep, so underdosing that will cause the patient to wake up earlier.

09-15-2011   #16 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

Maybe what they meant was Biology is a hard subject in general with all the names and scientific shits. `-`
Idk. But I doubt it's a racial thing.

Unless they clearly said, but you're black. o_o

09-15-2011   #17 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

as a black person i will say that the going into business statement is stereotypical. For many black people who go to school people pretty much expect their majors to be business related. We would just predict people were business majors just like predicting a filipino person was in nursing. I'm also half filipino so it's the same as when they expect you to have went into nursing or pre-med.

Anyway, dont worry. There's nothing to be ashamed of about your major. There are a lot of other majors that could probably really make you feel shame. So whatever go for it!

I could say more but i'm in a rush. cya

Last edited by PedroRomero; 09-15-2011 at 02:42 AM.

09-15-2011   #18 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat
There's different kinds of anesthesia.

Local anesthesia is usually just removing all sensations of a small portion of the body, but general anesthesia will put a person to sleep, so underdosing that will cause the patient to wake up earlier.
Neither types of anesthesia induce "waking-up" They're just analgesics decreasing or inhibiting neurotransmission. Decreasing the amount decreases the effect, but not induce the opposite effect.

Okay, I'm derailing this topic

On topic: Use this negativity as a means of motivation. Prove them wrong because words and assumptions means nothing when you're determined.

Last edited by k0n; 09-15-2011 at 03:57 AM.