ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Questions, Feedback & Suggestions (http://ggftw.com/forum/questions-feedback-suggestions/)
-   -   Profile Customizations -- Should We Kill Them? (http://ggftw.com/forum/questions-feedback-suggestions/82791-profile-customizations-should-we-kill-them.html)

NoeJeko 09-22-2010 08:34 AM

Profile Customizations -- Should We Kill Them?

Before you respond to this poll, please consider:

Dropping profile customizations opens a world of cool things we can do with user profiles. Right now we have a severe formatting restriction because I can't move elements on the profile. As we're going into the next phase of our site redesign, I would like your opinion on this

Gaap 09-22-2010 08:40 AM

lol @ 3rd option!

Anyway, I guess it wouln't hurt. I just hope the infamous Profile of the Month will be kept.

NoeJeko 09-22-2010 08:41 AM

Well, that's a con to killing it. Without customizations, we'd need different criteria for it if it were to remain.

Sandrie 09-22-2010 08:45 AM

Are there any examples of any "cool new features" you can share? Either way, I voted for #1 because I'm sure it's cool, whatever it may be.

Aimee 09-22-2010 08:54 AM

I'm all for profile customisations but I'm open to change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrie (Post 1351432)
Are there any examples of any "cool new features" you can share? Either way, I voted for #1 because I'm sure it's cool, whatever it may be.

this also. What would these new features be?

Gaap 09-22-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee (Post 1351438)
I'm all for profile customisations but I'm open to change.

this also. What would these new features be?

Following the chain, i'm curious too.

Mums 09-22-2010 09:56 AM

I would also like to know some of these ''cool new features'' before seeing the customization removed.

Jon 09-22-2010 10:06 AM

As long as it helps keep the site moving (in terms of design and functionality), I'm all for it. :py05:

NoeJeko 09-22-2010 10:45 AM

Hard to say right now... Something I want to add is a form of "game checkin" by which members can update the games they're currently playing. Eventually I'd like to have some form of virtual location-based service where a player can tie their game account to their ggFTW account and when they log into a game it "checks in" on ggFTW.

Just one example -- I haven't gotten through planning yet. One thing's for sure -- if I am to do things like this I need to account for it when we redesign the forum.

SOC 09-22-2010 11:40 AM

Well, from now on, I want to see hard examples of ideas you're planning before you remove/change major things like this. I'm going to vote the old way until you give us more examples and show us what you're thinking before we vote for it. I'm not going to just say "okay whatever new is going to be better."

NoeJeko 09-22-2010 11:41 AM

Unfortunately, we cannot release everything we're planning prior to launch. The things we can release I make sure to let everyone know.

Jessica 09-22-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1351506)
Hard to say right now... Something I want to add is a form of "game checkin" by which members can update the games they're currently playing. Eventually I'd like to have some form of virtual location-based service where a player can tie their game account to their ggFTW account and when they log into a game it "checks in" on ggFTW.

Just one example -- I haven't gotten through planning yet. One thing's for sure -- if I am to do things like this I need to account for it when we redesign the forum.

That would be awesome D:

I'm up for more changes. :3

Donges 09-22-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1351506)

That's pretty cool, but I'd still need to know more about the "new" stuff before I would agree to get rid of profile customization. I don't do that much customizing but I like my profile to look different from everyone else's at least.

Mums 09-22-2010 01:02 PM

Question: Why would the profile customization have to be sacrificed for these new features?

Ascherit 09-22-2010 02:15 PM

I like custom profiles >:

Shnao 09-22-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOC (Post 1351528)
Well, from now on, I want to see hard examples of ideas you're planning before you remove/change major things like this. I'm going to vote the old way until you give us more examples and show us what you're thinking before we vote for it. I'm not going to just say "okay whatever new is going to be better."

Yeah, sorry Noe but I'm gonna go with what SOC said. I don't mind change but change to what? And also, I enjoy profile customization. >_< So I vote keep it the way it is.

Fuzzy 09-22-2010 02:23 PM

Get rid of em. Go make a myspace if you want a custom profile, kthx.

Kebin 09-22-2010 02:26 PM

Just remove it entirely. I dont think its worth it to restrict further progress for that when better renovations can come ;o

Donges 09-22-2010 02:29 PM

I mean if there was still SOME kind of customization so that everyone's profile wouldn't look the same I would say get rid of it, but if everyone's is going to be white like the forums, I'd rather keep it.

Light 09-22-2010 02:38 PM

I look at the profile as the users "Identity" because everyone has a different style going on.
Mine personally draws back good nostalgic memories for me.

I've no idea what plans you've got in mind, and because change isn't always for the better, I'm going to have to agree with SOC and Shnao.
This is a major change, and if removing more identity of someone will be the sacrifice, I'm really torn away from my usual "Yeah, this will be great" conclusion.