ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Questions, Feedback & Suggestions (http://ggftw.com/forum/questions-feedback-suggestions/)
-   -   A Story by NoeJeko (http://ggftw.com/forum/questions-feedback-suggestions/5351-story-noejeko.html)

NoeJeko 07-30-2008 11:03 PM

A Story by NoeJeko

Let me tell you all a little story:

When I entered the military and arrived at my first base, I knew nothing about anything. I was told to call the base hospital one day and book an appointment for my first physical exam. I didn't know the phone number, so I asked my supervisor for the number.

He gave me a phone number and I called it.

When the line connected, it wasn't the base hospital - it was the base commander. The general was highly pissed that an airman had called his personal line, and I got my ass chewed out for a good 15 minutes.

I never said a word to my supervisor, for I had learned the lesson he intended to teach me with his harsh, but effective method:

"Don't ever waste someone's time by asking them to help you when you have not first attempted to help yourself."

/story

Please, try to search for your questions first. We have a plethora of information here that can probably answer your question before you even ask it.

vBulletin FAQ - USe this for any questions about the functionality of the forum.

Questions/Feedback Forum - For questions not answered in the FAQ, but may have been answered by the staff already.

Forum Bugs - for open, known bugs with the forums.

Technical Issues - for tech help on specific games or just your computer in general.

... plus every major game section has its own Q&A section and other help sections. People are much more likely to help you if you have first attempted to help yourself.

DepthCharge 07-30-2008 11:11 PM

did it really happened?

NoeJeko 07-30-2008 11:14 PM

Yes, it's a true story. That's what taught me to always look things up for myself first before asking a question.

SkillzKillz 07-30-2008 11:14 PM

I shall remember this the next time I pester you.

x.x

Cait 07-30-2008 11:15 PM

Of course it did!

DepthCharge 07-30-2008 11:19 PM

good story and good lesson. thanks for imparting that story with us. :D

NoeJeko 07-30-2008 11:24 PM

It's not me trying to be an ass, but more like, taking the words of an ancient proverb to heart:

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime" - Author Unknown, believed to be a Chinese proverb

Ethane 08-09-2008 07:49 PM

When generals or admirals walk into our area, the first marine who sees them is supposed to yell out "ATTENTION ON DECK!".

One day I was busy working near the door and a 3-star walked in. I was so caught off guard and with my mind on my work but with the need to respond that I snapped to attention and yelled out "HOLY SHIT!"

Needless to say the General died laughing and didn't mind at all. His aide (a captain) was much less amused.

Rusty 08-24-2008 03:34 AM

Old thread, but I want to post.

It's a good story and lesson.

That was a harsh thing for your supervisor to do though.

Nice proverb too. :x

KuroKoden 08-24-2008 02:00 PM

Thats a very good lesson.

I've learned that too, but in a different more vague way.

Levin 08-24-2008 05:51 PM

That's quite a lesson there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethane (Post 101259)
When generals or admirals walk into our area, the first marine who sees them is supposed to yell out "ATTENTION ON DECK!".

One day I was busy working near the door and a 3-star walked in. I was so caught off guard and with my mind on my work but with the need to respond that I snapped to attention and yelled out "HOLY SHIT!"

Needless to say the General died laughing and didn't mind at all. His aide (a captain) was much less amused.

Epicness.