ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Pokemon (http://ggftw.com/forum/pokemon/)
-   -   ITT: Pokemon Challenges (http://ggftw.com/forum/pokemon/84810-itt-pokemon-challenges.html)

Adun 10-27-2010 11:25 AM

ITT: Pokemon Challenges

Stealing this list that I found while lurking Google.

Quote:

These challenges are for any of the Pokemon games.

Nuzlocke Challenge -
The Nuzlocke Challenge is a challenge where you must release your Pokemon if they faint in battle. Also, you can only catch the first Pokemon you find on a Route. If all of your Pokemon must be released, you have to restart your game.

Monotype Challenge -
The Monotype Challenge is where you try to beat the whole game with a certain type of Pokemon and no other types are allowed!

Monocolor Challenge -
The Monocolor Challenge is where you only have a team of the same color. Shiny Pokemon do not count. Example: If you have a Shiny Scizor, it will still be treated as a red Pokemon instead of a green one.

Solo Run Challenge -
The Solo Run Challenge is where you beat the entire game with one Pokemon (HM Pokemon don't count). You can evolve this Pokemon if you want to.

All of these Challenges are good for any game!
I wanted to do some challenge runs through the various Pokemon gens (especially the Nuzlocke Challenge). Do you have any other suggestions for Pokemon challenges? List them here for future reference for me and any other runners.

Virus 10-27-2010 12:56 PM

I've done the Solo Run Challenge when I was little and played Crystal. Beat the whole game with Typhlosion.

I'm interested in that Nuzlocke Challenge, but I have a question for it:
Are you allowed to replace the released Pokemon? Such as, one of my Pokes faints in battle, after the battle I release it, and next Pokemon I see I'm allowed to catch it to replace what I lost?

Adun 10-27-2010 12:58 PM

That's not allowed. You can read more about it here.

Oh yeah, and a couple of other challenge conditions that I found that weren't mentioned.
Obviously, some of these aren't as difficult as others:

No PokeCenter Challenge -
You may not heal your Pokemon using the PokeCenter.

No Healing Challenge -
You may not heal your Pokemon using the PokeCenter or healing items.

No Evolution Challenge -
You may not evolve any of your Pokemon.

No TM Challenge -
You may not teach your Pokemon moves with TMs.

Fuzzy 10-27-2010 01:38 PM

I've completed a few of these.

No Evolutions: Pokemon Red and Yellow
Monopokemon: Silver
Monotype: Crystal

I want to try that Nuzlocke Challenge... seems interesting... I gotta find some game i can reset though :/

EDIT: Going to attempt a Nuzlocke Challenge on Pokemon Sapphire.
Challenges in place:
Fainted poke get released
Can only capture 1st poke you see per area (even if its repeat)
No Hold Items
No Legendaries
No Daycare
No trading
No saving to redo anything
White/Black out means complete restart of game

Poople 10-27-2010 02:00 PM

i've done the solo run challenge recently on pokemon white

though when the US version comes out i want to try a Nuzlocke challenge

Metty 10-27-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adun (Post 1382438)
That's not allowed.

Yes it is actually. As long as no pokemon was previously encountered in the route/cave he goes to next. Nowhere in the Nuzlocke rules does it say you can not rebuild your team after a death of one in your team. As long as at least ONE pokemon survived there is nothing wrong with rebuilding.

Also:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5265/nuzlocke.png

Hykari 10-27-2010 05:08 PM

I actually just use the starter pokemon and his level-up moves without any items to beat the majority of pokemon games. However, I do use pokemon centers and HMs, but that's just about it (I pick up the status healers, TMs, and rare candies, but I seldomly use any of it). The only TMs I usually use are the ones that can be gotten multiple times (like Ice Beam/Fire Blast/etc.), while I don't touch those that can only be used once (like Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Overheat/etc.). Shouldn't be too hard to withold using TMs though, since I rarely teach the starter pokemon those (besides the water starter, I like to put an Ice Beam on it). I also don't trade until I've beaten the Pokemon League, to make it somewhat difficult and fun at the same time.

Kisaragi 10-27-2010 07:36 PM

Try nuzlocking the R/S/E hack, Pokemon Troll.

POKEMON MUST DIE NIGHTMARE mode

Adun 10-28-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1382604)
Yes it is actually. As long as no pokemon was previously encountered in the route/cave he goes to next. Nowhere in the Nuzlocke rules does it say you can not rebuild your team after a death of one in your team. As long as at least ONE pokemon survived there is nothing wrong with rebuilding.

Also:
<snip>

Thanks for the clarification because I think I misread Virus' question. I would say that this is a matter of interpretation. I thought Virus was asking if he could recapture the Pokemon he lost as soon as it fainted. But he can't unless it so happens to be the first Pokemon at the start of a route. Right?

Metty 10-28-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adun (Post 1382861)
Thanks for the clarification because I think I misread Virus' question. I would say that this is a matter of interpretation. I thought Virus was asking if he could recapture the Pokemon he lost as soon as it fainted. But he can't unless it so happens to be the first Pokemon at the start of a route. Right?

As far as I know you can replace a fainted pokemon in a Nuzlocke as soon as you want as long as it's an area no pokemon was encountered at. So say he skipped the route that takes you to Victory Road and is on the left side of Viridian City, he could go there immediately and capture one there as long as its the first pokemon or the second if it's a pokemon he already has and is using the no duplicates rule.

Sodacan 10-30-2010 12:46 PM

Tried and failed the Nuzlocke challenge on Diamond. Was hard as balls. ****ing criticals.

Poople 05-11-2011 09:07 PM

I'm doing a Nuzlocke run of Emerald. So far i have 2 badges and my Marshtomp and Slakoth nearly died 100s of times due to bullshit, The only pokemon that died so far is my Poochyena (who died right after i caught it ;_; )

http://omg.wthax.org/Party.jpg

http://omg.wthax.org/Casualties.jpg