ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Pokemon (http://ggftw.com/forum/pokemon/)
-   -   The Ubers (http://ggftw.com/forum/pokemon/47102-ubers.html)

Bolter 05-14-2009 08:02 AM

The Ubers

Just though I would make a list of the uber pokemons

Ubers refers to the pokemons that are so powerful that it takes at least 2 regular pokemons to take them down, and ubers may not necessarily be legendaries nor are all legendaries ubers. All of them are banned in standard competitive matches.

The ubers(currently) are:

Mewtwo
Mew
Wobbuffet
Lugia
Ho-oh
Wynaut
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Deoxys
Garchomp
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin-S
Arceus

I might not have been up to date so feel free to update me anytime.

LauraMix 05-14-2009 08:08 AM

What about Tyranitar? o.o

Bolter 05-14-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supersonic06 (Post 830858)
What about Tyranitar? o.o

I don't think Tyranitar is an uber, I checked Smogon, they put it at OU(Overused).

Belphybear 05-14-2009 08:15 AM

I'm surprising Skymin isn't on it, although Skymin is actually banned from Wi-fi battles.

Bolter 05-14-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belphybear (Post 830861)
I'm surprising Skymin isn't on it, although Skymin is actually banned from Wi-fi battles.

I'm not even aware of Skymin, anyway I'll add it now.

Metty 05-14-2009 08:36 AM

Exactly who bans it? Players or something encoded into the game itself? As it sounds like when people use to cry if you had a Mewtwo(or more then one) or Mew at big group battles back in the day.

Belphybear 05-14-2009 08:37 AM

Tyranitar isn't uber because of it's type: Dark/Rock. There's alot of water and fighting type moves, so Tyranitar is easily KO'ed.

eg. Tyranitar vs. Infernape, since the latter is faster it is likely Tyranitar will be KO'ed with Close Combat.

Also, if Tyranitar should be uber, then you might as well say the same with Blissey, Weavile, etc. etc. etc.

Sodacan 05-14-2009 11:35 AM

I thought Wynaut and Wobbufet weren't considered to be ubers anymore?

Vindicta™ 05-14-2009 12:01 PM

Celebi, Jirachi?

Suicune, Entei, Raikou?

Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione?

Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf?

Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos?

Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios?

Belphybear 05-14-2009 12:04 PM

Celebi and Jirachi have a limited movepool, and I don't know much about the other 3 but Suicune is the only one in the OU section.

Sodacan 05-14-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindicta™ (Post 831064)
Celebi, Jirachi?

Suicune, Entei, Raikou?

Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf?

Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos?

Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios?

Most of those are hindered by limited movepools, common weaknesses, or inferior stats.

Belphybear 05-14-2009 12:26 PM

Latias and Latios are uber if they have Soul Dew equipped, although maybe this has changed.

Yukipyon 05-14-2009 12:56 PM

Legendary =/= uber

What determines whether a pokemon is "uber" or not is its stats, movepool, and overall capabilities.

Lilica 05-14-2009 01:21 PM

Latias is OU since I last heard
latios is Uber however

iARE1337 05-14-2009 02:00 PM

Uber (D/P) - Smogon University

Tardar 05-14-2009 02:05 PM

Celebi, Jirachi?
Celebi has bad typing, as well as a limited movepool. Jirachi just has a limited move pool.
Suicune, Entei, Raikou?
Suicune is just a bulky water. Not sure about the rest.
Regigigas has a poor ability, and due to the abundance of Fighting moves, would be easily (even though Legendary) ko'd. Phione lacks Manaphy's Tail Glow, it cannot increase it's Special Attack easily, therefore is not banned. Poor stats as well (I think). Cresselia has a limited movepool I believe, I'm not sure about Heatran though.
Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf?
Limited move pool, as well as semi-poor stats. They each only have two decent stats, everything else is meh.

Metty 05-14-2009 02:30 PM

I spent a while reading about this out of boredom, find it kind of stupid to ban Pokemon based on good stats and move sets and what can be done with it etc. Sure some of them are only in certain versions and not everyone buys all the various versions but they are still able to be got by capturing them unless legendaries that are on that list are now only able to be gotten from events in which case lolnintendo(<3 gameshark). But then that's my take on it.

Belphybear 05-14-2009 02:57 PM

The reason why those Pokemon are banned is because they can KO at least 2 or 3 Pokemon if they are sent out, and that makes the metagame broken.

Coffee 05-14-2009 03:10 PM

I still deny the fact that Garchomp is uber.

Metty 05-14-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belphybear (Post 831207)
The reason why those Pokemon are banned is because they can KO at least 2 or 3 Pokemon if they are sent out, and that makes the metagame broken.

Yeah but take Mewtwo for example(since I've played first generation more then I have second and quit at second). I use Parasect/Exeggutor vs players with it using a combo of Sleeppowder/Spore(never miss version of powder for Parasect <3) use Substitute then start using Megadrain while powering it up with Growth. With Exeggutor I did it with SP, Leechseed and Doubleteam and then have either Rest or Toxic in forth slot and that can kill a Mewtwo with ease. Same thing can be done with Tangela as well if you want more defense.