ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Other MMO Games (http://ggftw.com/forum/other-mmo-games/)
-   -   Best and worst hosting company in your opinion (http://ggftw.com/forum/other-mmo-games/94594-best-worst-hosting-company-your-opinion.html)

PompousKristina 04-11-2011 11:40 PM

Best and worst hosting company in your opinion
 
What are the best and worst hosting companies in your opinion? Here's mine.:py05:

Good:

OGPlanet- Sure, they were terrible in the past, but they've been improving so far since the GMs and GAs are always active and are nice to the players. Plus, they have fun events every often.

GamesCampus- So far, they're doing pretty well with running Legend of Edda.

Kill3rCombo- So far, they're doing a good job running Elsword. I hope they continue to do a good job.

NDoors- Because they have good support most recently.

Bad:

Aeria Games

Game&Game

Joymax

SQ Interactive

ESTSoft USA

gPotato

Outspark

IGG

Perfect World Entertainment

ChangYou

Veloze 04-12-2011 10:32 AM

Why do you feel that the companies under "Bad" are, indeed, bad?

Mega 04-12-2011 11:04 AM

Well considering ijji gives us updates to Lunia instead of nothing for months and months from game&game and 12foottall, I consider them to be a "good host" company. As for the cash shop part I think their money hungry just like every other company out there.

I think Nexon is still my favorite hosting company though. I wish they would take over Lunia :( I use to play Maple and they did a good job with it imo, and now I've come back playing Vindictus with them and they do a very good job at updating it constantly, having events (in game and forums), and giving out free stuff every once in a while. (Looking forward to Dragon Nest too :) )

Tardar 04-12-2011 08:01 PM

I would take Nexon over any of the companies you listed as "good." Unfortunately, just like any other gaming company they are quite money hungry at times, but they do keep a solid game up and running (MapleStory).

Nihil679 04-12-2011 08:10 PM

Nexon no longer deserves the shit that people give them. They no longer confine themselves in their offices and frolic naked from desk to desk as ceilings drop money like rain. The biggest issue of theirs would be simply cash shop, and even then that is completely tame in comparison to others.
They DO listen now. This is heavily evident with Vindictus, where the staff Evie patch has been introduced WAY ahead of its time. Why? Because people whined and *****ed and begged for it.
They DO host very well. How many games have they dropped from their list now? I believe there's only two or three, KartRider and Audition. This is important for such an up-and-going business as the game industry, ESPECIALLY the online game industry. What other MMO has stayed hosted under one company as long as Nexon has kept theirs?
They DO express their plans for their games. This is easily seen with such games as the coming-soon Dragon Nest, as well as Vindictus (which they stated to the players that they will stray behind Mabinogi Heroes by two months, but has brought the above said patch early), and possibly even Dungeon Fighter. It's not god damned isolationism for Nexon anymore.
It's utterly distasteful to me how people still give Nexon the bullshit of being the big bad company that ruins every game they own. Have people like that even compared the companies together? Nexon might be stingy and greedy at times, but that does not stop them from running their games as one of if not the best publishers out there.

And you said gPotato is a great company? When was the last time they updated their games? I went away for months from gPotato, went back and they still had "new" under old updates.

Ntreev was just bad. Cash prices were sky-high and gave horrible balance between the free and the cash. Under SmileGate, I have yet to hear about complaints, though I doubt it to be any different.

PompousKristina 04-12-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1510669)
And you said gPotato is a great company? When was the last time they updated their games? I went away for months from gPotato, went back and they still had "new" under old updates.

OK. Sorry. I updated my good and bad hosting companies list. I now added gPotato to the bad companies list.:py30:

Nihil679 04-12-2011 09:06 PM

Now I'm suspicious of your accusations considering how quickly it changed.
And the fact that you said you simply stated your opinion in your original post, does this indicate you simply falsely place an opinion of someone else's as your own to things such as this?

Look, I'm not trying to harass, troll, rant, or scare anyone off (you and your 15 posts), but things such as this requires some thinking. Simply calling any subject out based on passed-down opinions is a call of disaster.
Matters like these are heavily biased as well. The players of said game published under said company tend to have rosy retrospection of that company, for what person would admit that "their" company is bad? Note this, I find OGPlanet to be terrible the last time I played. I never hear of consistent major updates, I hardly see GM interactions, but why is that? Because I haven't played any of their games since... god knows when.

Veggi 04-12-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1510669)
Ntreev was just bad. Cash prices were sky-high and gave horrible balance between the free and the cash. .

Honestly I feel that you are wrong with the cash prices,
CASH= Make the game easier
There shouldnt be ANY game that should "SpoonFeed" people in their games. You want something, work for it. Grand chase for example. The quests are hard so they make you work for it, or QQ how hard it is and grab your wallet and you can easily just purchase it. People can easily purchase it since
1. The card is in their area
2. money isn't not a problem
3. Parents don't care

Others
1. Live far from any retail store selling.
2. Parents go apesh*t on them for asking.

They expect you to work hard on a game to achieve something you want.
Would you really buy ur way into a job? Hell no? You have to work for it, filling out an application, getting your resume in check, getting your personality, and appearance in line.
Please CASH prices should be the last thing on your mind about them.
Really thats what everyone complains about Ntreev, Cash. If you cant afford it, work for it "Suck that sht up and work son."

Audition had WAY to many Hackers for them to handle, if i were them id say, "if hackers can hack my cash shop for items, others will follow, let the game be handled by someone else"
KartRiders- now stop MarioKart..

Nihil679 04-13-2011 04:38 AM

Paying near $30 for a single set of equipments on Grand Chase for quadruple the stats of people your level with GP equipment, and the price only going higher as the level progressed, is not my idea of balance nor affordable.
While I do agree that cash shop should give some advantages over free-users, for they are paying the price of the game, should such a huge advantage be given like that? In real comparison, the advantage was almost akin to comparing Bill Gates to the poverish minority. The difference was near ridiculous, no one was content, no one should have been content.
If I remember correctly, they charged $50 for a cosmetic item in Pangya. $50 for bits and data that do nothing to give you an advantage either. Name any other company that charges more than $30 for anything in their cash shops, much less pure cosmetics.
If such a thing as "supply and demand" worked in gameconomics, I would not be so hard on the issue as I am. However, there is no "supply" in computer programming. At the hit of a button, you create infinite amounts of "items." It is literally selling air--- pure, excess, luxury air. They base prices purely on their expenses to create items (employee salary, game licensing fee) and demand. However, for a single item to go anywhere past $30 is already well beyond both.
In real life, why are new game consoles costly? Because they are new, low in supply in comparison to high demand.
Why do they lower in cost? Because they soon have too much in supply, and demand has lessened.
Why do cash shop prices stay constant? Because there is no supply.
The fact of the matter is that this just goes back to balance. While I, again, don't think we should heavily tax Bill Gates for nearly all his assets and be free on the poor, I also don't think it should be everybody's game for online games in terms of cash shop. However, when it becomes as ridiculous as paying $50 for items or over quadruple stats and the advantage of becoming near god-like, such things should be reduced, either by relieving the free or downgrading the cash. No game company is benevolent in such a sense that they are trying to teach you. In this glorious American system of capitalism, money is the huge factor, but even then government has stepped in to fix problems with the market. Why? To keep the people at rest. This should apply loosely to online games, else we will be buying "embalmed eggs" from their cash shop for wheelbarrows of money.

Strikegundam 04-13-2011 05:48 AM

@Nihil679 maybe you can do some spacing..just easy on my eyes and easier to read

anyway..
the bad companies you listed are not that bad if you compare to some of the other game companies..
*cough wasabii and other tw companies*

Veloze 04-13-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahPaiEil (Post 1510684)
OK. Sorry. I updated my good and bad hosting companies list. I now added gPotato to the bad companies list.:py30:

That's his/her opinion, not yours. If you feel gPotato is a good company, keep it under "Good".

Watta 04-13-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihil679 (Post 1510854)
Paying near $30 for a single set of equipments on Grand Chase for quadruple the stats of people your level with GP equipment, and the price only going higher as the level progressed, is not my idea of balance nor affordable.

Huge exaggeration right there the most expensive sets are like 11-12k myshop, the only thing you could say that would get close to that amount is gacha but you get rewarded with other things than just equipment.

Stats are pretty much equal gacha has slightly higher but nothing of significance to effect gameplay.

Nihil679 04-13-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watta (Post 1510926)
Huge exaggeration right there the most expensive sets are like 11-12k myshop, the only thing you could say that would get close to that amount is gacha but you get rewarded with other things than just equipment.

Stats are pretty much equal gacha has slightly higher but nothing of significance to effect gameplay.

Is this almost two years ago? Because almost two years ago, prices were high and the stats were even higher.

Lime 04-13-2011 04:17 PM

Ah, well, here's the thing, Maple Story is Nexon's longest held, and arguably most popular game.

Maple Story is Nexon's 'flagship' title, and most of their negative rep comes from issues players have had with that game, you may have had a good time with vindictus and the like:

but you haven't lost Actual NX/rare items through bugs in the Maple Trading System, which to this day still haven't been compensated due to lack of evidence, which is near impossible to get due to the nature of the glitch.

haven't had random account hacking sprees that were focused solely on the Maple Story game such as the one through the winter of 2009. which brought about the rush release of the PIC system.

haven't been randomly banned through glitches in the auto-ban system: ones that last a MONTH, not just 3 days.

Dealt with being unable to boss for months at a time due to hacks such as DC hacks, which only have recently been fixed after putting legit players at a disadvantage for over a year.

I'm not saying Nexon is bad, its actually improved with MS recently; but it has legitly earned any negative rep it has, and they've got a lot to make up for so they had best stick to improving. Until then, people who've experience Maple Story Pre-BigBang have earned the right to trash nexon until confidence is restored.

Nihil679 04-13-2011 04:20 PM

Which is why I quote
"Nexon no longer deserves the shit that people give them. "

There's a reason I don't go into depths about *****ing on other companies.
Because I don't play their games anymore.

Lime 04-13-2011 04:33 PM

Sorry for misunderstanding your statements.

Maple Story just has put its players through a surprising lot, and its at times, extremely hard for most veterans of it to believe they could/would ever improve.

I just can't fault them for hating Nexon so much and not being willing to trust them again. Unfair and distasteful it may be, but if someone took a leak in coffee they offered me, it's far from easy to EVER trust that person's coffee again and i'd sure as heck warn my friends about them too.


but yeah, MS has improved, hard as it is to admit, though, economy-wise, hackers are still doing a hefty bit of damage, even now.

SereneSky 04-14-2011 12:44 AM

Yeah, I understand the fact that some companies charge too much for their cash items. But I can't say it means that they're a poor game "host", it's rather just a irrational "business practice" on their part since they're losing profit.

What they should be doing is setting price high during initial promotion, then start decreasing the price gradually as new products are pushed out and demand decreases. They should also make sure cashpoints are conveniently accessible to all players.

Anyways.. on topic:
BAD GAMEHOSTS
1. gamengame
The main game host I hate is... gamengame. I understand that they're just a intermediate company that "showcases" games for prospective publishers who might buy it off them, but I just hate their lack of management. = =
Like Talesweaver.. botters are rampant in the server without fixes and there's a lack of general care toward player support too (just check out their facebook page). I really hope someone would buy the game off them and at least manage the amazing game adequately.

2. aeria games
Aeriagames really have both positives and negatives. While Aeria does have really good player support seen in their investment in hosting GM player events for more player/company interaction like in SMT:Imagine, I don't like their model of game hosting that lacks commitment. It feels as though they're just purchasing the rights to a bunch of random games and testing out which ones that would last long. If it doesn't have enough playerbase=shut down service. Although it makes sense from a business standpoint in testing the market, it annoys players who are attached and invested greatly into games they host. Even writing this, it makes me wonder if they're doing it purposely to find a niche game like SMT and Dynasty Warriors... : o

GOOD Game Hosts
1. IAH Games
They really left an impression on me when they opened up Dragonica Online. They were marketing the game quite well, contacting the different MMO media sites. Even now, seeing them hosting events in Asia, I can see that they really care about their game and also their player-community.


Of course, these are just opinions. ^^;;

PompousKristina 04-14-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SereneSky (Post 1511515)
Aeriagames really have both positives and negatives. While Aeria does have really good player support seen in their investment in hosting GM player events for more player/company interaction like in SMT:Imagine, I don't like their model of game hosting that lacks commitment. It feels as though they're just purchasing the rights to a bunch of random games and testing out which ones that would last long. If it doesn't have enough playerbase=shut down service. Although it makes sense from a business standpoint in testing the market, it annoys players who are attached and invested greatly into games they host. Even writing this, it makes me wonder if they're doing it purposely to find a niche game like SMT and Dynasty Warriors... : o

Yeah, and if Aeria keeps this up, they'll end up like Acclaim did(Go out of business).:py35:

By the way, I just wished that GamesCampus should've got the rights to host Luna Online/Luna Plus instead of rPotato(the R stands for rotten by the way).T_T

eterny 11-01-2011 12:27 AM

Hi i know a good hosting company ..it is Tucktail.com ...here only i hosted my website..so far no problem with this provider..sorry i don't know any bad provider specifically because nowadays there are so many bad hosting providers...

Moonflow 11-04-2011 08:21 PM

The only company that ever impressed me was Trion when I played Rift.
Which is a pay to play game.
Sadly any and all free to play game hosts have seemed on the shoddy side to me.
All way to concerned about making money than providing good service.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.