Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-10-2011   #1 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste
Default The United Nations Now Considers the Internet to be a Basic Human Right

United Nations report: Internet access is a human right - latimes.com

Quote:
Internet access is a human right, according to a United Nations report released on Friday.

"Given that the Internet has become an indispensable tool for realizing a range of human rights, combating inequality, and accelerating development and human progress, ensuring universal access to the Internet should be a priority for all states," said the report from Frank La Rue, a special rapporteur to the United Nations, who wrote the document "on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression."

La Rue said in his report that access to the Internet is particularly important during times of political unrest, as demonstrated by the recent "Arab Spring" uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt, among other countries. (More...)
This will either end up being world changing, or won't effect anything at all. I'm going with the latter considering it was posted on June 3rd and the internet hasn't made it go crazy viral yet. Either way, it's nice to see that we're moving ever so closer to a cyberpunk dystopia. What do you think?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-10-2011   #2 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

means now your kid can sue you for not giving them internet?
this is dumb
Internet is a luxury not a need

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

06-10-2011   #3 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

"Mom won't let me log into Facebook! I'm calling Child Support!!"

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

06-10-2011   #4 (permalink)
늑대와 미녀
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseAudition
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Senior

Kudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kudaranai

Except that the internet is similar to how telephones were a few decades ago. But now you expect everyone to have phones, right?

I mean, it seems silly if you consider that people are only using it for entertainment (youtube, facebook, gaming) but don't forget that some people's careers and livelihood depend on this too. Not to mention that a lot of things we do daily requires internet connection to the points where, eventually, internet will replace it totally.

We don't really consider and like, sit down and count the things we do that actually require internet connections on the daily basis. Can we live without internets? Sure, millions of people are doing that right now but things won't be like this in the future, when people will expect that you have internet like you do phones today.

06-10-2011   #5 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaranai
some people's careers and livelihood depend on this too.
QFT. Internet is critical enough for my job that my company will pay for it. Also, it's an invaluable tool for job hunters and it's only going to get more important in the next 5 years.

[Forum Rules][NoeJeko's Blog][Guide Guide][TO Training Guide]
k0n: Explaining anything to ignorant people is the same as trying to teach a turtle to sing. At some point, it's just hopeless.

06-11-2011   #6 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

still i don't see why is it a right, at least not yet.
so UN is going to go around the world providing food, water, electricity, education and internet(?).

But it might cause of the recent use of social network to overthrow egypt probably made them think it was a good democratic power. (probably they are hoping to do the same for China, N.Korea and every other country ruled by and overlord of some sort)
They are probably hoping this can change the country entirely so they will never be oppressed. (My guess)

This can't work in many places cause UN doesn't own all the international internet connections.

01-06-2012   #7 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
But that argument, however well meaning, misses a larger point: technology is an enabler of rights, not a right itself. There is a high bar for something to be considered a human right. Loosely put, it must be among the things we as humans need in order to lead healthy, meaningful lives, like freedom from torture or freedom of conscience. It is a mistake to place any particular technology in this exalted category, since over time we will end up valuing the wrong things. For example, at one time if you didn’t have a horse it was hard to make a living. But the important right in that case was the right to make a living, not the right to a horse. Today, if I were granted a right to have a horse, I’m not sure where I would put it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/op...ight.html?_r=3

01-08-2012   #8 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaranai
people will expect that you have internet like you do phones today.
i haven't had a phone for over a year. if someone wants to reach me they can email me.

anyway i'm happy about the news even though i don't fully agree with it. maybe this will make it more difficult to restrict access to the internet in certain areas (china i'm looking at you).