ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/89862-researchers-aim-resurrect-mammoth-five-years.html)

1stsim144 01-17-2011 11:18 PM

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Quote:

TOKYO (AFP) Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.
Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years - Yahoo! News

Quite pointless imo.

Noctis 01-17-2011 11:56 PM

I agree. It's a neat idea, but I don't really see the point in it. But perhaps the information gained from this will lead to other ideas. Like cloning a dinosaur just to study it or something.

PedroRomero 01-17-2011 11:57 PM

jurassic park!

kag 01-18-2011 12:44 AM

fluffy elephants ftw

kuyaBaka 01-18-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroRomero (Post 1449485)
jurassic park!

First thing that popped into my head when I read the title.
Make an island just for the mammoths near the ice South Pole.
Genetically-alter the embryos as to control population.
Find out that the mammoths can change gender at will.
Too many mammoths.
Island sinks into ocean.
Mammoths drown.
The end.

Bolter 01-18-2011 03:21 AM

woah, don't tell me we will see real dinosaurs....

1stsim144 01-18-2011 03:42 AM

I mean, should't they do something about global warming instead of resurrects some extinct animals? o_o;

Dani 01-18-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 1449545)
First thing that popped into my head when I read the title.
Make an island just for the mammoths near the ice South Pole.
Genetically-alter the embryos as to control population.
Find out that the mammoths can change gender at will.
Too many mammoths.
Island sinks into ocean.
Mammoths drown.
The end.

As grim as that is I struggled to not lol in the school library. wry u do dis mori

It sounds neat that they're going to try and clone a mammoth but it's like "whats the point?". Ah well

MsSquid 01-18-2011 05:57 AM

Yeah, man. What's the point of resurrecting a dead species? I've got the same problems with Archaeologists wasting all of their times digging up pots from civilizations that died thousands of years ago! I MEAN THEY'RE DEAD! All those diggers could be digging homes for the homeless.

miyasha 01-18-2011 06:01 AM

why cant they use the money to help living especies from going extinct isntead?! :py14:

still, it'll be cool to see how this turns out. resurrect saber tooth tiger or thylacine next plz

ps - why do i sence a zombie apocalypse is aproting?

Light 01-18-2011 06:28 AM

It's not pointless.
If people happened to see a Woolly Mammoth at a special zoo, they may have interest to learn more about them and the Ice Age.

I'll agree there are more pressing things which should be more important though.

Dread 01-18-2011 07:07 AM

so we are going to like eat them in 10year right yummy mammoth meat....

Henreh 01-18-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread (Post 1449640)
so we are going to like eat them in 10year right yummy mammoth meat....

Our ancestors apparently loved them (for food...mammoth steak anyone?) so there might be some correlation between us and the wooly elephants.

Kruger 01-18-2011 02:56 PM

hmmmm...

- mammoth is cloned successfully
- dies shortly after from heat stroke due to global warming

kag 01-19-2011 01:33 AM

You can't really say it is pointless.
People do research on different things for different reasons.

Lots of things are pointless but you research for its knowledge.

It will become a big step in cloning and probably can provide more insight on maybe create more of your own stem cells etc.