Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-13-2011   #1 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fish Fight

Quote:
Half of all fish caught in the north sea are thrown back overboard dead.
Hugh's Fish Fight - Half of all fish caught in the North Sea is thrown back overboard dead

-This has been on the TV a lot the past couple of days. It's horrific, and such a waste.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-13-2011   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Kruger has a spectacular aura aboutKruger has a spectacular aura about
IGN: VaporTrail
Class: E75 / Jagdpanther

Really? Haven't heard a word on the news about this yet.
EU as in European Union right? Tut.... they made a huge fuss about us hunting and eating raw seal...

01-13-2011   #3 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

The show that was on this evening was showing the fishermen reluctantly throwing the dead fish over the side because law says they can't take them on land - though they're perfectly fine to eat and there is nothing wrong with them at all.

And they say Cod is an endangered fish, while they throw thousands dead overboard everyday. Insanity.

01-13-2011   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

What's the rational for it?
But i won't really call it waste, just because it is dead and edible doesn't mean it is wasted.
Throwing back isn't really that good cause it raises the scavenger and predatory population which can affect the food chain. (That's in theory, but i'm no scientist)

The main thing is that, doing this doesn't help anything at all.

But if you're talking about food wastage, i believe it is better to educate people on wasting food rather than that fish wastage. Cause the food people waste is way more than those thrown back.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

01-13-2011   #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Well, you could think about it like this. In order for them to make as much money as they hoped per fishing trip, they will have to fish up more fish, because a certain percentage they catch will be dead and have to be thrown back so it won't add to what they make from that fishing trip. So more fish will have to die in order for the fishing trip to have been worth it than if they could keep the dead ones.

01-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
Well, you could think about it like this. In order for them to make as much money as they hoped per fishing trip, they will have to fish up more fish, because a certain percentage they catch will be dead and have to be thrown back so it won't add to what they make from that fishing trip. So more fish will have to die in order for the fishing trip to have been worth it than if they could keep the dead ones.
That's how I see it as well.

I tossed my name in for support.
If it does anything then I'll be glad I've done my part.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

01-15-2011   #7 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

in related news: 2million dead fish has washed up on the shores of the chesapeake bay. they say it's because of the unusually cold winter were having here in the mid atlantic. i can vouch for that.

01-20-2011   #8 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Hugh's Fish Fight - Impact on you

It appears things are slowly starting to change.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

01-20-2011   #9 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special

Ah! I haven't checked up on that for a few days... the numbers have rocketed, and looks like things are beginning to change (: goooood.