Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-07-2010   #1 (permalink)
snake enthusiast
Special
Games
DC Universe OnlineWorld of WarcraftVindictusElsword
Awards Pervert Award

Kongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant futureKongro has a brilliant future
Guild: Smelly Bedlam
Default Gulf of Mexico, Deepwater Horizon Oil Rig Disaster

Very bummed to see theres no post about this yet.

Quote:
Some 1,000 barrels (42,000 gallons) of oil a day have been gushing from the well since a drilling rig exploded and sank off the Louisiana coast last week.

British oil company BP, which leased the rig, said the "first-of-its-kind" attempt would take 24 to 36 hours.

A nearby oil platform has been evacuated as a precaution.

Workers on the rig, the Ocean Endeavour, were taken away because the oil slick was coming dangerously close, said the US Minerals Management Service.

Conservation experts say the oil has the potential to damage beaches, barrier islands, wetlands and wildlife reserves along hundreds of miles of coastline in four US states
BBC News - Robot vessels used to cap Gulf of Mexico oil leak

And if you don't understand how serious this actually is, read the following.

Quote:
The original estimate was about 5,000 gallons of oil a day spilling into the ocean. Now they're saying 200,000 gallons a day. That's over a million gallons of crude oil a week!

I'm engineer with 25 years of experience. I've worked on some big projects with big machines. Maybe that's why this mess is so clear to me.

First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink. Take a moment to grasp the import of that. The pressure behind this oil is so high that it destroyed the maximum effort of human science to contain it.

When the rig sank it flipped over and landed on top of the drill hole some 5,000 feet under the ocean.

Now they've got a hole in the ocean floor, 5,000 feet down with a wrecked oil drilling rig sitting on top of it spewing 200,000 [gallons] of oil a day into the ocean. Take a moment and consider that, will you!

First they have to get the oil rig off the hole to get at it in order to try to cap it. Do you know the level of effort it will take to move that wrecked oil rig, sitting under 5,000 feet of water? That operation alone would take years and hundreds of millions to accomplish. Then, how do you cap that hole in the muddy ocean floor? There just is no way. No way.

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work. [See Paul Noel's ideas above.]

If we can't cap that hole that oil is going to destroy the oceans of the world. It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife. Are you starting to get the magnitude of this?

We're so used to our politicians creating false crises to forward their criminal agendas that we aren't recognizing that we're staring straight into possibly the greatest disaster mankind will ever see. Imagine what happens if that oil keeps flowing until it destroys all life in the oceans of this planet. Who knows how big of a reservoir of oil is down there.

Not to mention that the oceans are critical to maintaining the proper oxygen level in the atmosphere for human life.

We're humped. Unless God steps in and fixes this. No human can. You can be sure of that.
Mother of all gushers could kill Earth's oceans

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-07-2010   #2 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

I've been following updates about this for the past 3 weeks. I'm hoping the cap would work but I'm worried about the damage already done to oceanlife and nearby bird sanctuaries.

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

05-07-2010   #3 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

I hope it doesn't hurt too much of the marine life there though. Its really horrific.

05-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

I think their plan they had to try and stop the oil leak failed, didn't it?

This is really bad. I hope they can fix it soon.

05-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae

A lot of their plans so far has failed. The controlled burn didn't work, the buoys didn't work, chemical disbursants are doing more toxic harm than good, and the plan to cap the oilspill failed because oil crystals are forming in the tube since it's so cold down there....

05-10-2010   #6 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Greedy humans underestimating the power of our planet.

The drilled oil will be used to cause global warming which have close to the same effects, lets just say it sped things up.

nuke, burn (it is just like trying to hit the TV when it fails)

They probably just need to find enough pumps and pipes to pump it all out somewhere and just wait for the pressure to go down so iz easier to seal it.
They must be wishing they have gundams right now.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

05-10-2010   #7 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

I really, really, really really really hope they can contain this oil somehow and force humanity into cleaner energy alternatives. I also really hope there's another way other than nuking it.

Also, it doesn't talk about the nuke (if it does I'm sorry, I'm at work and have no sound) and I'm not sure about the credibility but:

05-10-2010   #8 (permalink)
ohi
Games
World of Warcraft
Awards Facebook Fan

crazyhealer is on a distinguished road
IGN: crazyhealer
Class: Eir lu_eir
Level: no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOC
I really, really, really really really hope they can contain this oil somehow and force humanity into cleaner energy alternatives. I also really hope there's another way other than nuking it.
This won't happen within this 5 to 10 years. Clean energy are being use, but the output of energy is just not there yet.

Anyway, this is one screwed up situation. I still wanna have seawater fish as dinner.

05-10-2010   #9 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhealer
This won't happen within this 5 to 10 years. Clean energy are being use, but the output of energy is just not there yet.
I meant that humanity would have to do without some conveniences until the output of energy is enough, lol.

05-10-2010   #10 (permalink)
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

either way, we got trolled good. I hope this is fixed soon... without the use of a nuke.

But if it really comes down to it nuke away

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

05-10-2010   #11 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhealer

Anyway, this is one screwed up situation. I still wanna have seawater fish as dinner.
Wind power in Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- they already have 24% in 2007 (And it took like 30 years), though wind turbines are not a very good alternative as they might influence wind currents.
How Denmark is leading the way in renewable energy - MoneyWeek

Jeremy Jackson: How we wrecked the ocean | Video on TED.com <-- The ocean is already screwed

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

05-10-2010   #12 (permalink)
Special
Games

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute

That video's really interesting- I just finished watching it. Thanks, kag.
kinda sad to see how ****ed the ocean is already though

My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

05-12-2010   #13 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

Even if we manage to stop it, this is a problem that will last for many months, maybe years. Hopefully this will give humanity a wake-up call and jump-start some more eco-friendly ventures from the masses.

05-13-2010   #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noperative
Even if we manage to stop it, this is a problem that will last for many months, maybe years. Hopefully this will give humanity a wake-up call and jump-start some more eco-friendly ventures from the masses.
According to what they said on the news that I saw just today, even after this, 50% of Americans still support off-shore drilling.

05-13-2010   #15 (permalink)
Special
Games

america is so dumb then noctis

05-13-2010   #16 (permalink)
私は君のためなら何でもする, my Love
Special

FlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud ofFlamesBlader has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to FlamesBlader Send a message via MSN to FlamesBlader
IGN: iFlames
Class: Any
Level: 30
Guild: Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noperative
I didn't realize how bad this was until I read this thread...

05-13-2010   #17 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

what the...I'm really out of the loop if I didn't know about this. Then again, not having a TV or news source will do that. I need to put that BBC app back on my phone.

Back on topic though...damn. Just....damn. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about this. I hope this can be fixed, though the damage is pretty much irreversible.

05-13-2010   #18 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
According to what they said on the news that I saw just today, even after this, 50% of Americans still support off-shore drilling.
It's America's addiction to oil, and cynicism towards environmental and climate change bills. From what I've been reading from multiple sources, they'd rather have "traditional jobs and more money" than support a bill that would create greener jobs but temporarily raise their electric bills by a small amount.

05-13-2010   #19 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

You're not the only one out of the loop Mitchi D=...Meaning to click on the thread, but forgot until now.

I blame our retarded obsession with money and oil. We have clean renewable energy sources, yet we don't switch over cause of money problems and crap. We already have a shitload of crap screwing our earth up, just suck it up and switch over to clean energy. Practically every country is in debt anyway.

I think we're ****ed unless we somehow fix this. Like, now.

05-14-2010   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
MabinogiMapleStoryFantasy Earth ZeroLunia

theSinned is a jewel in the roughtheSinned is a jewel in the roughtheSinned is a jewel in the rough

You know, with all this crisis, they could've made temporary jobs for people to help clean up the oil.

So many unemployed, I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't mind picking up something on the side to help their payments especially with this recession.

Hi