Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-12-2010   #61 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

I thought the power of a hurricane was fed by heat from warm waters, so shouldn't a fire hurricane help the hurricane instead of destabilizing it?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-12-2010   #62 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firzin
^
But hurricanes can spawn tornadoes. Which can also change into this on occasions.

Sooo yeah... even if there are no fire hurricanes there might be fire tornadoes? :<
in other words either way we're screwed.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

06-12-2010   #63 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
I thought the power of a hurricane was fed by heat from warm waters, so shouldn't a fire hurricane help the hurricane instead of destabilizing it?
Possible, but i'm no scientist >.<

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

06-12-2010   #64 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Seriously, everyone should stop using BP (They don't know the power of youtube and the internet)
Lets all switch to companies like exxon instead right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
It is actually possible if the fume concentration is high.

But i think heat will disrupt the air pressure and kill the hurricane.
Pretty sure the fire hurricane thing is a joke. The amount of moisture, by any measurement, in a hurricane will be much greater than the amount of flammable liquids and gases a hurricane might pick up by going over an oil spill. Kind of annoying to see people taking the fire hurricane scenario seriously. An actual problem would probably be petroleum products going inland due to storm surge.

And just as a clarification, the gasoline vapors are most likely to be lit on fire. Here's a table of boiling points of various feuls: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fu...int-d_936.html You will need a sufficient rate of evaporation to be able to sustain a fire hurricane scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
Fires would destabilize the air flow in a hurricane, which would cause the hurricane to break up.

Last edited by SilentSaber; 06-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.

06-12-2010   #65 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaLeague of LegendsDungeon Fighter OnlineGunZ

CrunchyRoll has disabled reputation
IGN: Dithyrambic
Class: Healer lu_eir
Level: 85
Guild: Poverty

i heard that hair can be used absorb the oil.

06-15-2010   #66 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

I feel like we're blaming BP too much when we really need to blame all of deep oil drilling practices in general, and our usage/dependency on this type of energy resource. Sure BP did it, but it could've happened to any company that does it, BP was just the scapegoat.

06-15-2010   #67 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOC
I feel like we're blaming BP too much when we really need to blame all of deep oil drilling practices in general, and our usage/dependency on this type of energy resource. Sure BP did it, but it could've happened to any company that does it, BP was just the scapegoat.
I would agree had it been a truly unfortunate accident, but they skipped quite a bit of safety and preparation steps (e.g. using a blow out preventer that was known to be faulty) and preparedness (e.g. basically reusing the same disaster response plan as they did in Alaska), and forging ahead even after unsatisfactory test results. But what annoys me more is that no regulators caught onto that.

But, I agree, it would probably be a good idea to start shifting away from petroleum as an energy source and onto something else right about now. Though, in reality, I'm sure all this will blow over in a year or so and we would have forgotten all about this unfortunate event.

07-15-2010   #68 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute

topic res but
BBC News - BP says oil has stopped leaking from Gulf well

they managed to stop the oil from leaking but its only temporary

My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

07-15-2010   #69 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma

So, why haven't they tried this until now?

07-15-2010   #70 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games

beats me. lol

07-15-2010   #71 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums
So, why haven't they tried this until now?
Quote:
The priority had always been to increase the amount of oil being captured and piped to the surface, he said.
quoted from BBC article

Basically, of all their previous plans on what to do, most of them have been "How can we get the oil that's leaking out and pump it onto our ships?" type plans. The only one I can remember that was supposed to shut it off permanently was the mud and cement solution which failed. Didn't matter that the oil was coming out quickly and destroying ecosystems and shutting down fishing jobs in parts of the Gulf that was being affected. They just really, really wanted to get that oil.

07-17-2010   #72 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Now just have to wait for them to kill this well, which won't happen until the relief wells are done.

08-26-2010   #73 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Sorry for bumping this but

It seems it was possible for a fire nado

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 08-27-2010 at 03:45 AM.

08-26-2010   #74 (permalink)
#1 Leon fan
Games
VindictusMabinogiLuniaElsword
Awards Pervert Award

PKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond repute
Guild: Titans/ggFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Sorry for bumping this but
That's hot.

/shot

12-15-2010   #75 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games

huge bump but

BBC News - Gulf of Mexico oil leak: US sues BP over oil disaster

couldn't help but lol anyways

12-17-2010   #76 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma

Sued for failing.