Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-08-2008   #1 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE
Default Mom says child’s toy had a mouth like a trucker

Quote:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - A West Virginia mother is seeking a recall of a popular walkie-talkie after her 3-year-old’s toy apparently intercepted a profanity-laced conversation between truckers about drugs and strip clubs.

Deborah Pancaro, 34, said she contacted Fisher-Price after she heard a conversation in which a man said “10-4” and other things that led her to believe the device was relaying a CB radio conversation.

“They said we should go smoke some weed, and were talking about being in a strip bar, some really explicit things,” Pancaro said Thursday.

The walkie-talkie is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and allows children to role-play animal rescues like the Diego character does on the cartoon series “Dora the Explorer” and “Go, Diego, Go!”

The walkie-talkie is supposed to have a range of about 20 feet, but Pancaro said she heard one of the voices say he was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, about 275 miles north of Huntington.

Pancaro, who bought the toy on Aug. 2, said she sent a letter to Fisher-Price, urging it to either fix the toy so it wouldn’t pick up CB chatter or pull the product from the shelves.

Fisher-Price apologized for Pancaro’s “disappointing experience” and has made two unsuccessful attempts to contact her since Wednesday, spokeswoman Juliette Reashor said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

With a limited number of operating frequencies available for radio-type walkie-talkies, she said they occasionally will pick up transmissions from other products.

Though the product has not been recalled, Wal-Mart says on its Web site that it is being discontinued. A spokeswoman for the company based in Bentonville, Ark., said Thursday she would look into the matter.

Pancaro said she planned to return Fisher-Price’s call later Thursday.

“It’s not about the money. I’d just hate for little kids to be hearing things like that, and I thought maybe they didn’t know.”
Here comes the science!

1. Most low-end and toy walkie-talkies, including radio control toys, are limited to the 27 and 49MHz ranges. CB Radio is limited to the 27MHz range.

2. 27MHz is an AM band, which will bounce off the ionosphere, creating what is known as "skip". Transmissions which should not have the range of but a few miles can be picked up and responded to from hundreds to thousands of miles away[1].

3. We're currently at the start of the 11-year sunspot cycle, where the sun acts wierder than usual and has the side effect of charging our ionosphere. Skip becomes more common than usual.

So, if that woman needs to sue anyone, it's the sun.

[1] During the last sunspot cycle, I had a nice conversation over the CB with a fellow in Quebec, which was neat considering I was on the border of Mexico in Arizona.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-08-2008   #2 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Wow, Ethane knows a lot~ ^^

08-08-2008   #3 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm a CB radio enthusiast. My rig has been modified over the years to do some crazy stuff, and I think it's a rewarding hobby.

08-08-2008   #4 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

Americans and their penchant for lawsuits. Really, people should just use the effort to protest issues that actually matter, like, you know, world hunger?

08-08-2008   #5 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

In this case, I'd say it's America's penchant for ignorance, but yeah lawsuits too

If she would have done just a little research and asked a few questions she would have found out how those little walkie talkies her kids had worked. I had toy walkie-talkies as a kid and even then I knew what was going on when I picked up a stray CB conversation.