Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-07-2008   #1 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina
Default IBM joins linux developers to attack Microsoft

Quote:
IBM (NYSE: IBM), whose decision to back Linux 10 years ago was a driving force in its adoption by business, called on developers of the open-source operating system to make it more "green" and to stop copying Windows, if they want to see Linux on the desktop.

Bob Sutor, VP of open source and standards at IBM, told attendees of the LinuxWorld Conference in San Francisco, that what the open source community needs to make Linux popular as a desktop OS used by consumers and businesses are "some really good graphic designers."
more @

IBM To Linux Desktop Developers: 'Stop Copying Windows' -- Linux -- InformationWeek

We've seen ubuntu been shipped by Dell, and some other popular distro such as Fedora.

So, what do you think about the future of Linux?

People usually thought Linux is ONLY for servers usages, etc, but it's not true, you can actually use Linux to do all of your general works, thanks to the open community world wide ;o

My first experiences with Linux was, like, few years ago, since my job, requires me to learn at least few basic stuff of Linux stuff, that is required for my job @_@, back then I was using Fedora 4~6. But since then, I'm actually became interested on Linux stuff, and I'm still learning parts of those, especially involving servers managing, mail servers, and such. The first server I configured last time was an IBM machine, with mail server and also file server [samba, etc] and such...still I need to /gain more on Linux stuff thingy [yay for boss who /asked me to learn, lol...but I'm grateful to him, tho XD, since he taught me a lot in these areas.] @_@...

Discuss.

Last edited by Miyuki; 08-07-2008 at 04:25 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-07-2008   #2 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

as long as microsoft has copyrights to DirectX
Linux will never replace microsoft

08-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I also read that from our intranet site.

That's true. Linux was developed and is being supported as an alternative to Windows with features that complement Windows' flaws. It's supposed to be more stable and secure, plus interoperability with other technologies. Open architecture infrastructures mean you don't have to get locked in with Windows and all its flaws. Copying Windows defeats this purpose. =/

I don't really see where Linux copies Windows 2001, but I guess keeping the strengths of both OS and building from that is practical. As much as I hate MS, Windows is not total trash. I guess Linux needs to be more innovative and think outside of the box to really move forward past Windows and shine.

08-07-2008   #4 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowiz
as long as microsoft has copyrights to DirectX
Linux will never replace microsoft
and many pc games require a recent version of directx

08-07-2008   #5 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Linux, as for business wise, it seems Linux is better in term of performance, stability, reliability and also, COST.

Lets say, Red Hat Linux vs Microsoft Server OS licensing price:

Red Hat:
https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/c...fwCy2wbb.www02

Microsoft:
Microsoft Outlines Pricing, Packaging and Licensing for Windows Server 2008, Including the New Microsoft Hyper-V Server Product: Microsoft Hyper-V Server gives customers a new server virtualization option that can provide simplified, reliable and cos

Also, gaming is now possible under Linux with the help of Wine[http://winehq.com] or Cedega [http://www.transgaming.com/]

Office works? Try OpenOffice, arts? Try GIMP, and more.

Linux, only for pro 1337 users? I don't think so now.

I'm still new in Linux [just few years exp], but it's never too late to try on them ;o, plus you can dual boot with Windows too x3.

Last edited by Miyuki; 08-07-2008 at 05:04 AM.

08-07-2008   #6 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Openoffice, as a free open source program, is pretty good, and is cost effective compared to Microsoft.

I am willing to try GUI Linux, but not anytime soon.

08-07-2008   #7 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Also, gaming is now possible under Linux with the help of Wine[Wine HQ] or Cedega [TransGaming Inc.]
They can't run gameguard and an mmo though. This is why i can't play anything on my computer.

The main reason why Linux is having one hell of a time replacing windows is because of programmers, really. Most software that I use on a daily basis is windows only with no linux option, except for a few awesome ones like Firefox and stepmania.

I pretty much need to get XP for the sole purpose of playing certain games ._. most Korean MMO producers fail to make their games linux compatible.

The other reason: Because people are afraid. I've heard many people say "I want to use linux, but I heard it's hard to learn to use.

I told my friend i was getting a laptop with linux and his first reply was "Do you at least have a book, since you don't know how to use it?"

Other main reason: Some people are ignorant and honestly think Windows is better. Then again, these are the same people who think Vista is awesome and better than everything else before it.

For anyone wanting to make the jump, I suggest SuSE, which is what I use. I't pretty simplistic and very similar to windows in the way you operate it.