Iris Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-23-2008   #1 (permalink)
Squirtle Squirtle
Games
Guild Wars 2Trickster OnlineAtlantica Online
Awards Facebook Fan

boomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really nice
IGN: Boomsticky
Class: Guardian lt_guardian
Level: 80
Default Facebook Overtaking MySpace...

PC Pro: News: Murdoch fumes as Facebook overtakes MySpace
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Pro News
Facebook has overtaken rival social network MySpace for the first time - provoking an angry outburst from the man who paid $580m for MySpace only three years ago.

Facebook had 123m unique visitors in May, an increase of 162% on May 2007, according to the latest Comscore figures.

By contrast, MySpace drew 114.6m uniques, with visitors growing by only 5% since May 2007.

It's the first time Facebook has managed a significant lead over its chief rival, after the pair were almost level-pegging in Comscore's April figures.

The news hasn't gone down well with News Corp boss, Rupert Murdoch, whose company bought MySpace back in 2005. He claims Facebook has "done a great job of being flavour of the month the last six months of last year," but that Facebook isn't a real social network, claiming the site is "just a directory".

Murdoch has long been exasperated by the rise of Facebook. When asked last year whether sites such as MySpace were responsible for declining newspaper sales, he quipped: "I wish they were. They're all going to Facebook."

Whether Facebook can turn its success into profit is the big question. The privately-held company doesn't report financial figures, although Microsoft's 1.6% stake in the company valued it at $15 billion last year.

With $40 billion burning a hole in its pocket following the collapse of the Yahoo deal, Microsoft has been consistently linked with a takeover of Facebook, although CEO Steve Ballmer last week talked down the possibility of a deal. "People don't understand what they're talking about," he told The Financial Times. "At the end of the day, this is about the ad platform. This is not about just any one of the applications."
Murdoch Angry! Murdoch Smash!!

*ahem* *cough* *loosen collar*

>.>

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-23-2008   #2 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

ppffttt what do you expect?
theres tons of fakeass accounts spamming everyone on myspace
and ads galore
it's not even a network of people you know anymore if all it is is just ads everywhere

06-23-2008   #3 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Lol facebook FTW~?

06-23-2008   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlinePangya9DragonsDream of Mirror Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart
Xfire: rhinehart

I just hate those communities in general. I've only got a MySpace account because my little brother got it. They're all pointless and I've quit every other community I've registered at. People kept sending me requests to join Facebook, Hi5, etc; etc; etc. so I joined just to shut 'em up, but I removed my accounts. Only reason I haven't done that at MySpace is I just can't be bothered.

06-24-2008   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

lol, at Murdoch getting agitated by his MySpace getting overtaken by Facebook.

I stay away from those sites, if possible.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

06-24-2008   #6 (permalink)
Anywhere But Up
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineRagnarok OnlineAion
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Yuki has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yuki Send a message via AIM to Yuki Send a message via MSN to Yuki
IGN: Elysium
Class: Godmode
Level: ∞
Guild: Symphony

ROFLLS. owned.

Facebook > Myspace

Simplicity takes all. ;D And I have to agree with Phuccie, about Myspace having those stupid fake accounts that spams stupid ads >_> so lame <3 And sometimes people have the most annoying-ist layout on Myspace....

[ ggFTW HR Operations. Yuki Designs. Rep Guide. Join Symphony. Forum Rules. ]

06-24-2008   #7 (permalink)
Bob
I am Bob.
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TalePerfect WorldRunescape
Awards Retired Division Head

Bob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to behold

What do you expect? MySpace is unorganized, known for having pedos and stalkers, and spam and ad infested. Also, you can get bugs/virus from them? @__@

06-24-2008   #8 (permalink)
Just another Asian.

Khmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enoughKhmer2k1d5 will become famous soon enough
IGN: Khmer2k1d5

I use both. At least I know I'm cool.

06-24-2008   #9 (permalink)
Sexy Bish &lt;3
Special

SkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to behold

MySpace = 90% Emo, 10% Pedo

Facebook = 90% People with Lives, 10% Looking for Lives

Facebook wins.

06-24-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

BeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the roughBeanMarine is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to BeanMarine Send a message via MSN to BeanMarine
Guild: [JW]

I made a myspace account so that I could do a report about it, but I never used it. I also tentatively made a facebook account to keep in touch with high school buddies. Facebook is mainly my quote-book and photo-album, lol.

Oh, and the graffiti wall is love. Some people can do some amazing things with that small program.

06-24-2008   #11 (permalink)
yup

TheCosmicLion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to TheCosmicLion Send a message via Yahoo to TheCosmicLion

LOL! good to hear that! Though I still prefer myspace.. Its a good thing that Facebook is on top of Myspace now, cause I just got my myspace account deleted @.@ Why? because of my age @.@ 89 years old ftw?

Spoiler!

Last edited by TheCosmicLion; 06-24-2008 at 07:07 PM.

06-24-2008   #12 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillzKillz
MySpace = 90% Emo, 10% Pedo

Facebook = 90% People with Lives, 10% Looking for Lives

Facebook wins.
LOL!
actually i think it's
60% emo, 10% pedo, and 30% people who don't really exist
but anyway, most people on facebook are either in college, graduated from college, or planning to go to college

Last edited by WhatThePhuc; 06-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.