ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   Parents Of Jailed League of Legends Player: ‘It Was A Joke’ (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/122621-parents-jailed-league-legends-player-joke.html)

Mega 07-02-2013 01:17 PM

Parents Of Jailed League of Legends Player: ‘It Was A Joke’
 
Parents Of Jailed League of Legends Player: ‘It Was A Joke’

What an idiot...:py14:

Quote:

Today, the parents of Justin Carter, the 19-year-old League of Legends player facing eight years in prison for threatening Facebook comments he made, took to television today to plead for their son’s innocence.


“He’s very depressed, he’s very scared...and he’s very concerned he’s not going to get out. He’s pretty much lost all hope,” said a visibly shaken Jack Carter, father of Justin, during a CNN interview this morning.

The Texas teen, who has been jailed for 5 months, is currently on suicide watch in solitary confinement according to his mother. "It's very hard, to hear your child...hopeless," said Justin's mother.


“At first I was completely shocked. I thought it was a joke. I couldn’t believe the person who called me, I told them they had to be kidding" Jack Carter said, recalling the news of his son's arrest. "When I realized he wasn’t, I literally broke down crying, walked off the job I was on and I had to have a friend pick me up downtown because I couldn’t drive.”


Justin's father went on to fully acknowledge the gravity of Justin's comments, but made a plea for common sense.


“He’s a good kid. He didn’t mean it. It was a joke, and he would never hurt anybody.”


The parents have secured a law firm to take on the case pro bono.

LauraMix 07-02-2013 01:23 PM

I kinda feel bad for him

Ethane 07-04-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Court documents indicate Carter replied with: “I think Ima shoot up a kindergarten / And watch the blood of the innocent rain down/ And eat the beating heart of one of them,” NPR reports.

The next two things he wrote were “lol and jk,” Jack Carter told KHOU-TV,
$500,000 bail

that's a 5 with five zeroes behind it


Henreh 07-04-2013 03:27 AM

Prime example of LoL community. Idiot kids these days.

Kenzor 07-04-2013 01:42 PM

I'm confused, it says he clearly made the post on Facebook (and makes sense that he would get reported) so why is there a need to point out he's a LoL player?

Unless he posted on the LoL FB page I guess.

Ethane 07-04-2013 03:26 PM

well the media still has a hard-on for correlating video games with violence

so that's probably why

and no, I'm not joking. The media would correlate League of Legends with violence.

kuyaBaka 07-04-2013 04:18 PM

I mean if you're going to make mass murder jokes like that after tragedies like Sandy Hook happen, then you'd be an idiot to not think someone's going to take things seriously, get the media all up in it, and then blow it up spreading blame everywhere.

I have to agree, though. That kind of punishment is harsh.

Quote:

The next two things he wrote were “lol and jk,” Jack Carter told KHOU-TV,
I'm literally lol-ing right now.

Ethane 07-04-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 1825332)
I mean if you're going to make mass murder jokes like that after tragedies like Sandy Hook happen, then you'd be an idiot to not think someone's going to take things seriously, get the media all up in it, and then blow it up spreading blame everywhere.

No, because this is where sound judgment should come into play. The facts are some 19 year old kid said something about killing and "eating hearts" (:rolleyes:) and then immediately following up with "lol just kidding". This same kid has no criminal record whatsoever. There's no good reason whatsoever to panic and assume this kid's next move is to go out and spree kill. It's even dumber to throw him into jail. It's even more idiotic to put a $500,000 bond on him like he or his family could hope to pay it.

Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine, and 9/11 are not and have never been reasons for us in America to freak out over every single damn thing like this kid's facebook message. That's just being excessively paranoid. "Well but what if it does happen?" Well, then it happens. Even if we are so paranoid about things that a mouse fart makes us jump, that's not going to somehow magically prevent some crazy nutcase from lashing out like they have before.

Bolter 07-06-2013 08:56 AM

Its because of people like this, that some people, parents especially are so over afraid of their children playing games...

AnaSyami 07-06-2013 09:45 AM

That time when acting stupid gets you in serious problems.
Hope he learned his lesson.

Kenzor 07-09-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1825660)
That time when acting stupid gets you in serious problems.
Hope he learned his lesson.

Lolwut.
Seriously?

brb calling police to arrest this person for posting something i dont like

RoflKnife 07-09-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethane (Post 1825338)
No, because this is where sound judgment should come into play. The facts are some 19 year old kid said something about killing and "eating hearts" (:rolleyes:) and then immediately following up with "lol just kidding". This same kid has no criminal record whatsoever. There's no good reason whatsoever to panic and assume this kid's next move is to go out and spree kill. It's even dumber to throw him into jail. It's even more idiotic to put a $500,000 bond on him like he or his family could hope to pay it.

Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine, and 9/11 are not and have never been reasons for us in America to freak out over every single damn thing like this kid's facebook message. That's just being excessively paranoid. "Well but what if it does happen?" Well, then it happens. Even if we are so paranoid about things that a mouse fart makes us jump, that's not going to somehow magically prevent some crazy nutcase from lashing out like they have before.

Oversensitivity as usual. If we applied this (insert easily discernible joke/overexaggeration crime here) = he's serious, jail him! Thing to everyone, after all, that would be fair, then...

Just about all my friends, myself included, should be in jail. And most of you on these forums too. (90%+ of the population on earth actually...) Stupid as shit.

iTaker 07-10-2013 06:07 PM

Dam I would've been in jail like 60x over and so would everyone else because of comments like this lol. No one should be jailed over a sarcastic comment. There is no lesson to be learned here, it's the internet. Another huge over reaction.

Metty 07-11-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1825660)
That time when acting stupid gets you in serious problems.
Hope he learned his lesson.



Good day.

AnaSyami 07-11-2013 03:14 PM

I don't feel bad for anyone joking about school shootings.

Ethane 07-11-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1826353)
I don't feel bad for anyone joking about school shootings.

You must think that we should all be impressed by your drastic approach to this matter, but like the whole "zero tolerance" policies that schools have enacted and are now tripping up on, it's entirely devoid of merit.

This is one of those matters where sound judgment has to be employed and wasn't. All that it has amounted to is a monumental waste of taxpayer dollars and time. The price paid for "well that'll learn him" was far too high to scare a kid who wasn't a threat to begin with. If anything, it's just going to contribute to more paranoia that this nation already suffers from, and certainly not going to alleviate one iota of it.

AnaSyami 07-11-2013 08:10 PM

No one wants to be the first example to a punishment (not like this is the first time something like this has happened). So why not just learn to stop doing it? People really think you can say anything you want behind a computer screen and actually think you wont get in trouble for it ever. Well, you are wrong. I get that on league people say all kinds of crazy things in a joking way but it's facebook. I don't see how he wouldn't think before writing something like that on facebook. People report all kinds of things on social networks. More so now than ever, and just for other people's safety it has to be taken seriously.
As dumb or minor this may seem, everyone can learn from it. Be careful what you say on social networks because you indeed can get in deep problems for it. Not everyone takes things as a joke, it's why it's just best to stay away from touchy subjects when you want to joke on those networks.

Crave 07-11-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1826395)
No one wants to be the first example to a punishment (not like this is the first time something like this has happened). So why not just learn to stop doing it? People really think you can say anything you want behind a computer screen and actually think you wont get in trouble for it ever. Well, you are wrong. I get that on league people say all kinds of crazy things in a joking way but it's facebook. I don't see how he wouldn't think before writing something like that on facebook. People report all kinds of things on social networks. More so now than ever, and just for other people's safety it has to be taken seriously.
As dumb or minor this may seem, everyone can learn from it. Be careful what you say on social networks because you indeed can get in deep problems for it. Not everyone takes things as a joke, it's why it's just best to stay away from touchy subjects when you want to joke on those networks.

You honestly think this 19 year old kid deserves this!?

Metty 07-11-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaSyami (Post 1826395)
People really think you can say anything you want behind a computer screen and actually think you wont get in trouble for it ever. Well, you are wrong.

They can, and I'm about to right now:
I'm going to shove a 2x4 up your cooter, hammer nails through your flesh into the 2x4 and then rip it out. Then I'll cauterize it with a blowtorch. Oh then I'll upload it to youtube/reddit/facebook/what have you.

Come at me FBI/CIA/NSA/Mi5/Mi6/SAS/INTERPOL/KGB/UDA/IRA/Triad/Mafia.

AnaSyami 07-11-2013 08:34 PM

Random forum makes me get use to it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.