Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-29-2013   #1 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default The Best Anti-Piracy Measure Ever

The Best Anti-Piracy Measure Ever - IGN

Quote:
Developer Greenheart Games has come up with an impressively smart anti-piracy measure for its first game, Game Dev Tycoon - in which people who've downloaded a cracked version will feel the effects of piracy in-game, too.

As an experiment, the developer decided to release a cracked version of Game Dev Tycoon onto torrent sites along with the genuine version, pre-empting piracy. "The cracked version is nearly identical to the real thing except for one detail," explains Greenheart on its website. "Initially we thought about telling them their copy is an illegal copy, but instead we didn’t want to pass up the unique opportunity of holding a mirror in front of them and showing them what piracy can do to game developers." After a few hours of building up your virtual game studio, this message appears:

From then on, everything pirate players make in-game has a huge chance of being pirated, and it becomes almost impossible for them to make a profit. The most brilliant thing about this is the responses that Greenheart has found online from players who didn't pay for the game.

Ahh, the irony. There are plenty more over on Greenheart's site. This isn't the first time that developers have tried to make a point with anti-piracy messages. Rocksteady released a cracked version of Batman: Arkham Asylum onto the Internet that was complete except for one tiny detail: Batman's cape-glide ability didn't work. Back in 2001, Operation Flashpoint's developers decided to make the game degrade slowly as pirates played, with enemies becoming ever stronger and guns ever weaker until the game eventually became unplayable. For me, though, this is the cleverest.

After one day on sale, Greenheart says, 93.6% of players had downloaded the illegal version rather than buying it legally. "If years down the track you wonder why there are no games like these anymore and all you get to play is pay-to-play and social games designed to suck money out of your pockets then the reason will stare back at you in the mirror," the developer says.

Nonetheless, creator Patrick Klug isn't mad at pirates, and doesn't believe in DRM. He entreaties them to spend the 8 dollars and see what the game really should be like.

If Greenheart's anti-piracy measure made you smile, check out eight other hilarious examples of creative video game anti-piracy measures.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-29-2013   #2 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Omg I need new sides....you bastard...

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

04-29-2013   #3 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
"If years down the track you wonder why there are no games like these anymore and all you get to play is pay-to-play and social games designed to suck money out of your pockets then the reason will stare back at you in the mirror," the developer says.
Message is right, but reality is wrong. Pretty clever still though.

04-29-2013   #4 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Developers need to stop being greedy bastards and selling a game at absurd prices with less entertainment value than the money is worth. Then throwing in DLC to complete the gaming experience that may have been lacking to begin with.
That would help to a better degree.

Although in this case it's already cheap, however nothing beats a free game.
Either you enjoy or hate it there is nothing lost by doing so... on your end anyway.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

04-29-2013   #5 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

This is pretty clever and funny, but I don't think I would play this game, pirated or otherwise. I would buy more games if they didn't have inflated $60 price tags on them.

04-30-2013   #6 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

The last innovative game I played was in 2009 and I still only play that game to this day. Everything else is cookie cut with one new sprinkle. There's no wonder why people pirate games these days.

05-02-2013   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

From a developers point of view: If 93% of the players out there pirated the software I was working on, Iīd rather be worried about the quality of my own software than the mentality of people. Piracy always occurs, but thatīs really extreme.

If havenīt played neither of the following games, but I was told that Game Dev Tycoon ($8) is a rip-off of Game Dev Story ($4).

Spoiler!

edit: Funny thing is that by German law the cracked version of the game isnīt even illegal, because the developer uploaded it.

Last edited by Saibak; 05-02-2013 at 08:27 AM.