Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
Long live the chase!
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Eucleides
Class: Lime
Level: 75
Guild: Authority
Default CNN Sympathizes with Rapists

wat.

Quote:
After two teenagers were convicted on Sunday of raping a young girl in Steubenville, Ohio, a CNN correspondent lamented that it was “incredibly emotional, incredibly difficult” to watch the court proceedings. Only she wasn’t referring to the victim, or even to the crime, but to the “two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students,” who “literally watched as they believed their lives fell apart.”
CNN Feels Sorry for Steubenville Rapists; World Can’t Believe its Ears - The Daily Beast

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

What indeed...........

03-20-2013   #3 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

I don't get it. So you can't treat criminals like humans anymore? Should we vilify them like heartless monsters who deserve state-sponsored revenge (prison), or at least see them like people who made very serious mistakes and need help?

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

03-20-2013   #4 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
I don't get it. So you can't treat criminals like humans anymore? Should we vilify them like heartless monsters who deserve state-sponsored revenge (prison), or at least see them like people who made very serious mistakes and need help?
It's been ingrained in most peoples minds that rape is worse than than murder and even in rare cases genocide. After Googling the case it all sounds like a load of crock anyway. Especially since there was apparently quite a hefty bit of underage drinking and not remembering.

03-20-2013   #5 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

well, I really don't know what to say, but really they should have thought twice first before even thinking of doing it.. what's the point of regretting and sympathizing what is already done, its not gonna turn back the clock.

at least its not that bad compared to the recent indian gang rapes though

03-20-2013   #6 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

Quote:
Most of the time, they're sorry they got caught. Not sorry that they did it.

03-20-2013   #7 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowiz
Most of the time, they're sorry they got caught. Not sorry that they did it.
Yes, but that's beside the point here. The point here was that the reported showed sympathy to the convicted minors, and that for some reason, it's unacceptable? I didn't say people shouldn't hate the criminals, but that's no reason why they couldn't be shown any sympathy neither.

IMO, the reporter was lamenting the future they could've had if they didn't destroy it themselves. And maybe their troubled past (alcoholic father, etc...). And for me, that's understandable. They still deserve punishment (and hopefully counseling, but given the US's penchant for revenge instead of rehabilitation...) for what they did of course.

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

03-20-2013   #8 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Euler Breslau
Class: SMN-main, AST.
Level: i200 SMN
Guild: Get Some LLC

Quote:
Yes, but that's beside the point here. The point here was that the reported showed sympathy to the convicted minors, and that for some reason, it's unacceptable? I didn't say people shouldn't hate the criminals, but that's no reason why they couldn't be shown any sympathy neither.

IMO, the reporter was lamenting the future they could've had if they didn't destroy it themselves. And maybe their troubled past (alcoholic father, etc...). And for me, that's understandable. They still deserve punishment (and hopefully counseling, but given the US's penchant for revenge instead of rehabilitation...) for what they did of course.
It's more of a culture thing. It's been a heated argument for months now, in the States, about how rape doesn't go as far punished as it is thought to be. From my perspective, it's a clash of ethics and morals -- sure, both parties should be accounted for the underage drinking but the fact that the reporter decided to more sympathize for the boys who are convicted of rape more than the girl who was raped.

Quote:
“The criminals were almost becoming the victims,” said John Szarowski of Corinna, Maine, who started a similar petition on Change.org. “Now their lives were destroyed. There was no mention at all of their victim, and the life they destroyed."

“It was very difficult to watch,” Harlow said. “Ma’lik’s father got up and spoke. Ma’lik has been living with guardians, and his father, a former alcoholic, has gotten in a lot of trouble with the law. He stood up and told the court ‘I feel responsible. I feel like I wasn’t there for my son.’ He came over to where his son was sitting, he approached him, hugged him, whispered in his ear. Ma’lik’s attorney said to us ‘I have never heard him tell his son ‘I love you.’ But he just did today.’ This was an incredibly emotional day.”
The second half, in particular, stood out to me.

Between the political parties, one of the issues often debated is whether or not to take mental states and personal history into account during a judging. Morally, yes, it should be taken into account. But ethically, it's easy to spin parts of your past to make it sound like you were also a victim of another, which therein caused the case at hand -- it's just a bunch of finger pointing.

The first half of what I pulled out points at how people are conceiving this problem. All of a sudden, there's more consideration for the rapists as victims because they had a troubled past, but one could also argue it is because they are men. For a long time now, there has been a trend of rape cases where the victim finds herself in the losing party because there is a kind of leniency towards the rapist.

I don't follow all too much on news, like this, myself -- I really only hear it trickled down from everyone else talking about it so take my words as through rose-colored glasses. In any case, it's hard for an outsider to see this case as controversial unless they are well aware of all the other controversies, similar to this, which have been played out in the past.

I know there's debate on morals: the boy shouldn't have done anything to the girl, and the girl shouldn't have been out drinking at 16. The difference is that the girl did something to herself, while the boys did something to the girl. Sure, she put herself in danger but the boys should have known better than to lay hands on a girl who was too inebriated to do something about it. She was defenseless, and the boys have a mind of their own -- minds which should have thought "I shouldn't be taking advantage of her."

Spoiler!

Last edited by kuyaBaka; 03-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.

03-20-2013   #9 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

I literally can think of dozens of drunk football player stories that screw them over somehow. Do these kids not learn morals of stories? If you're going to drink, then drink responsibly. I had alcohol when I was 17 and what did I learn? It tastes like shit most of the time and you don't need to get piss drunk to get loose. Don't drop the soap kids, there might be another case of rape that will make you cry.

03-20-2013   #10 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

My abridged opinion on it:

The guys made stupid decisions and (presumably) threw away what they could have made with their lives. The girl also made a stupid decision. Do either deserve any kind of consolation? I really can't say that either party does.

03-20-2013   #11 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Depends on circumstances of crime and what the crime was. In this case, I'll give them a few points as they were drunk and seem to realize what they did was wrong and apologized. Now I don't know their personalities and such, so I can't make a good guess whether they mean it or not. But even if they did mean it, they still did something stupid and got drunk, and I assume it was under aged drinking as well. Stupid decision to do that.

Problem with the report was, gave absolutely no mention of sympathy or coverage on the rape victim, which is probably what helped rile people.

Alternatively if these guys got their drinks spiked and then raped, then I would think they definitely do deserve sympathy, and arguably a punishment would be unjust. Or if they did this without being drunk, then they're just *******s, no mercy. Rot in hell.

So yeah, situation, people, circumstances, etc.

03-20-2013   #12 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

These kids don't deserve any sympathy. What they did is abhorrent and that CNN reporter is completely tactless. However, the reaction I've seen to this all is equally as abhorrent. We live in a society that glorifies violent revenge fantasies. Allegedly rape and even murder are totally okay as long as they're happening to criminals in jail. Screw rehabilitation, let's just turn prisons into publicly funded torture centers.

On a lighter (but not really) note:

03-20-2013   #13 (permalink)
Long live the chase!
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Eucleides
Class: Lime
Level: 75
Guild: Authority

^ That video was filled with so much satire. lol'd They nailed it.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

03-20-2013   #14 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnao
^ That video was filled with so much satire. lol'd They nailed it.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.
Only problem I have with this, even though she makes a lot of valid points that I think are important, is that she effectively puts every ounce of blame on the guys (even though it is clear that they had no idea what rape really is) and effectively dehumanizes them (ie., "rapists are not victims"). In this case, they're all victims of poor decisions and stupidity. I cannot empathize with any party because in my brain they're all shithead idiots.

Why did (or how can) the media empathize with the idiots? They had potential for great lives. That potential was all thrown away with one extremely poor decision made (from what it seems) largely out of ignorance.

If you want to end the "rape culture," teach both parties what consent (I can guarantee you that both males and females don't know what "real" rape is because they don't know what consent really is) is and don't dehumanize either party.

03-20-2013   #15 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

Criminals are humans, but only some deserve sympathy. Every case is different.

CNN should've done both or none. Sensitive subjects require a great deal of attention to diction, especially if one is speaking to millions.