Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Woman Flees North Korea And Is Shocked By Freedom andů Cosplay

Woman Flees North Korea And Is Shocked By Freedom and... Cosplay

Quote:
In 2000, an 18 year-old Hana Lee fled North Korea on foot. For five years, she hid in China, and after five long, difficult years, she arrived at Kansai International Airport, located outside Osaka City.

Japan and the freedom it enjoys, to say the least, surprised her.

Hana Lee (a pseudonym) is currently living in Japan and attending university. She is what's known as a "dappokusha" (脱北者) or "person who has fled North Korea", and will be the first (or one of the first) to graduate from a Japanese university.
In Japan, there are around 300 dappokusha living in the country. Lee's parents were Japanese-born Koreans, who moved to North Korea during the late 1970s, hoping for a better life. At first, things were good. The family lived in a house and had their own car, which was a rarity in North Korea.

But then, things got bad. In the 1990s, a relative got implicated in a crime, and even Lee's family was to be banished to the countryside. In a country where food is scarce, this was the equivalent of a death sentence. The family was able to stay in the North Korean city of Sinuiju by moving between friends' houses and bribing officials. This continued until all the family's savings ran out. Lee, her mother, and her younger brother all made a run for the Chinese border, successfully crossing it and hiding in China until 2005.

Lee began blogging about her experiences in North Korea and is releasing a version of it in Japan. She recounted seeing a public execution as a little girl, recalling how it disturbed her so much that she threw up. Her transition was difficult, and she hid her North Korean background from her classmates, instead saying she was from South Korea.

"The thing that surprised me most about living in Japan is that people can freely say bad things about politicians," Lee told Weekly Playboy (Eds note: This is not the American publication). "I was also suprised that the Japanese prime minister keeps changing on a yearly basis." (Eds note: It doesn't take living in North Korea to be surprised by that!)

"Early on, the first time I saw cosplay," Lee recalled with a laugh, "it was a shock."
"But, a unified society will be built, even with the criticizism of politicians, the cosplay, people behaving freely and debating," said Lee. "That's a truly great thing." Lee added that a situation like this is "improbable" in North Korea; it makes her think that this was what made a democracy. What better way to express your freedom than by criticising politicians and dressing as video game characters?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Daniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud ofDaniloo has much to be proud of
IGN: pretty snice
Class: #howsnace to_soulmaster
Level: #10FEETTALL
Guild: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see Kim Jong II (if hes the one ruling?) cosplaying.. And them having public executions was a surprise for me, I knew they had interviews before execution but they didn't show the actual execution. Really glad she made it out!!

03-20-2013   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Hyeonseo Lee: My escape from North Korea | Video on TED.com

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

03-21-2013   #4 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

ahahaha, whats she gonna do now?

03-21-2013   #5 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Since most cosplay is terrible I'm not surprised she was shocked when she came across it for the first time.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

03-23-2013   #6 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Joey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervertJoey is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Nasu Kha
Class: Carpenter lt_knight
Level: 60
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniSheep
I'm pretty sure nobody wants to see Kim Jong II (if hes the one ruling?) cosplaying.. And them having public executions was a surprise for me, I knew they had interviews before execution but they didn't show the actual execution. Really glad she made it out!!
Kim Jong Un. Kim Jonk Il died over a year ago.