ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   Hacker and Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz dies (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/120202-hacker-reddit-co-founder-aaron-swartz-dies.html)

kag 01-12-2013 07:43 AM

Hacker and Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz dies

Quote:

Aaron Swartz, the 26-year-old who helped build internet institutions like Reddit and Creative Commons, committed suicide in New York yesterday.
The news was confirmed by MIT newspaper The Tech, which received word from both Swartz's uncle and attorney.

In addition to his work with Reddit, Swartz also co-authored the very first RSS specification and was involved as an activist through his work as founder of Demand Progress.
via Hacker and Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz dies | The Verge

The family's full statement is included below:
Quote:

Our beloved brother, son, friend, and partner Aaron Swartz hanged himself on Friday in his Brooklyn apartment. We are in shock, and have not yet come to terms with his passing.

Aaron's insatiable curiosity, creativity, and brilliance; his reflexive empathy and capacity for selfless, boundless love; his refusal to accept injustice as inevitable—these gifts made the world, and our lives, far brighter. We're grateful for our time with him, to those who loved him and stood with him, and to all of those who continue his work for a better world.

Aaron’s commitment to social justice was profound, and defined his life. He was instrumental to the defeat of an Internet censorship bill; he fought for a more democratic, open, and accountable political system; and he helped to create, build, and preserve a dizzying range of scholarly projects that extended the scope and accessibility of human knowledge. He used his prodigious skills as a programmer and technologist not to enrich himself but to make the Internet and the world a fairer, better place. His deeply humane writing touched minds and hearts across generations and continents. He earned the friendship of thousands and the respect and support of millions more.

Aaron’s death is not simply a personal tragedy. It is the product of a criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach. Decisions made by officials in the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney’s office and at MIT contributed to his death. The US Attorney’s office pursued an exceptionally harsh array of charges, carrying potentially over 30 years in prison, to punish an alleged crime that had no victims. Meanwhile, unlike JSTOR, MIT refused to stand up for Aaron and its own community’s most cherished principles.

Today, we grieve for the extraordinary and irreplaceable man that we have lost.
via http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/12/38...-on-government

http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/403474...cutor-as-bully

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/14/38...ive-prosecutor

LauraMix 01-12-2013 09:13 AM

This is a sad day.

Metty 01-12-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraMix (Post 1797883)
This is a sad day.

I don't see how, people die everyday. Only difference is he was "famous" but still pathetic enough to end his life. Suicide's a cowards way of dealing with life.

Torikakae 01-12-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1797891)
I don't see how, people die everyday. Only difference is he was "famous" but still pathetic enough to end his life. Suicide's a cowards way of dealing with life.

Since this isn't Random, I'll take that as a serious comment.

Don't take suicide lightly. You can't expect them to think the same way you do. It's as immature and insensitive as saying to someone with clinical depression to "Just get over it".

Metty 01-12-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1797975)
Since this isn't Random, I'll take that as a serious comment.

Don't take suicide lightly. You can't expect them to think the same way you do. It's as immature and insensitive as saying to someone with clinical depression to "Just get over it".

Yes, I was serious and funny enough I've been diagnosed with depression for the past fourteen years. I'll also add to the list that suicide is also very selfish as it causes many problems for the people related and were friends with them. Of the two people I've personally known to remove themselves from the gene pool both said the exact same thing in their letters; "life is too difficult, I don't want to try anymore".
As such I am very blunt when it comes to suicide. It's a cowardly, pathetic and selfish thing to do to those around you.

Torikakae 01-12-2013 08:01 PM

Not all depression are the same. Likewise, you can't expect everyone with varying degrees of depression to think and act the same way you did. You don't know the guy, so how can you say that your minds are the same?

Unless you were suicidal, and I mean really suicidal, can you really judge someone like that. If you weren't, then I'll blunt as well; It's insensitive, irresponsible, and immature.

kag 01-12-2013 08:10 PM

To me suicide doesn't really have a right or wrong.
Cause no one will ever know what another person has been through.

And i feel that people who hang themselves thought it through.
It isn't like popping pills, jumping off a building or slitting your wrists.

Anyway it is much more complicated.
JSTOR Hacker Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide -- Daily Intelligencer

To put it in a nice way, he gave up hope on humanity.

Metty 01-12-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1797990)
Not all depression are the same. Likewise, you can't expect everyone with varying degrees of depression to think and act the same way you did. You don't know the guy, so how can you say that your minds are the same?

I never said we were the same. Nor did I say they should act like I have in regards to depression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1797990)
Unless you were suicidal, and I mean really suicidal, can you really judge someone like that. If you weren't, then I'll blunt as well; It's insensitive, irresponsible, and immature.

I have several years ago and ended up in hospital due to it. Am I going to have to detail the shit that happened in my life that drove me to it as well? I can give you a nice list.

Kisaragi 01-13-2013 05:29 AM

I humbly request everybody to shut the hell up about your judgment on committing suicide. I'm a suicidal person, and still not out of my slump. When a person commits suicide, all parties are on the losing side.

You think of it as cowardly, but for a person that have thought of suicide, it might already be too much.

I might be an insane man (?), but I know where I stand. He's dead. Leave it at that, fella.

On another note, I would honestly like to ask everyone; what is justice? Not where has justice gone, but what is justice?

CountBlood 01-13-2013 07:45 AM

The vilification of suicide has always mystified me. It's your life do whatever you want with it. Also he was facing 30 years in jail for releasing JSTOR documents that later went on the public domain, silly silly.

kag 01-13-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountBlood (Post 1798046)
The vilification of suicide has always mystified me. It's your life do whatever you want with it. Also he was facing 30 years in jail for releasing JSTOR documents that later went on the public domain, silly silly.

The sad thing is that JSTOR didn't want to prosecute but the prosecutor is the one trying to continue pressing charges against him.

You can read a slightly more elaborate story here by one of his friends.
Lessig Blog, v2

kag 01-15-2013 03:31 AM

Updates:
Quote:

The family of Aaron Swartz pulled no punches in their comments after the 26-year-old's suicide, blaming a "criminal justice system rife with intimidation and prosecutorial overreach." Assistant United States Attorney Stephen Heymann is one of the individuals that's been named in particular and it turns out Swartz isn't the first subject of a Heymann investigation that's taken his own life. Buzzfeed reports that in 2008 Jonathan James also committed suicide two weeks after having his home raided as part of Heymann's TJX hacker investigation. James was suspected of being "JJ," an unindicted co-conspirator, but claimed to have had nothing to do with the crimes in question.

"I have no faith in the 'justice' system," James wrote in his suicide note. "Perhaps my actions today, and this letter, will send a stronger message to the public. Either way, I have lost control over this situation, and this is my only way to regain control."

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Swartz's attorney Elliot Peters accuses Heymann of pursuing federal charges against his client in order to drum up publicity. The prosecutor was in search of "some juicy looking computer crime cases and Aaron's case, sadly for Aaron, fit the bill," Peters said, remarking that Heymann thought he "was going to receive press and he was going to be a tough guy and read his name in the newspaper."

Peters accuses Heymann of being particularly hardline when negotiating potential plea deals as well, threatening Swartz with increasingly-long prison sentences if the 26-year-old didn't accept what he was being offered. According to Peters, the prosecutor also harassed several of Swartz's friends into testifying in front of a grand jury.

Buzzfeed contacted the US Attorney's Office to get comment from Heymann's office, but was informed by a spokesperson that "It is not appropriate to make a public comment," and that "we want to respect the family's privacy at this time."
Swartz suicide puts the focus on over-aggressive prosecutor | The Verge

Riolu 01-19-2013 06:16 AM

That prosecutor should be laid off for harrassment.

This case shows that some limits should be placed if people are innocent until proven guilty.

RoflKnife 01-19-2013 02:50 PM

In other words, the Attorney will get away scot-free.

Might makes right.