ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver leaves 12 dead, 38 wounded (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/115073-dark-knight-rises-screening-shooting-suburban-denver-leaves-12-dead-38-wounded.html)

LauraMix 07-20-2012 09:59 AM

'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver leaves 12 dead, 38 wounded

Quote:

Ten people were found dead at the scene. Two died at local hospitals. The youngest victim was believed to be a three-month old infant who was in fair condition. At least six victims were rushed to the Children’s Hospital in Aurora, including a 6-year-old with a bullet wound.
'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver leaves 12 dead, 38 wounded: police - NY Daily News

Oh man...my condolences to the family.

Bolter 07-20-2012 10:43 AM

some people are too much...

Metty 07-20-2012 05:15 PM

America can now learn a valuable lesson from this. Piracy saves lives.

LauraMix 07-20-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1748583)

They will never learn sadly.

Tardar 07-20-2012 06:20 PM

My mother had an interesting day at work because of this.

kag 07-21-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

He ordered some 6,000 rounds of ammunition and several magazines for the rifle, including a 100-bullet drum that can discharge 60 rounds in a minute, the chief said.

The entire arsenal was possessed legally.
Welcome to America

cornpirde35 07-21-2012 12:53 PM

How does someone order that much ammo legally?, He even rigged his apartment to explode when police officers would try to enter the building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1748583)

Agreed :py54:

Almora 07-21-2012 03:41 PM

x.x

And then on Facebook, some girl was praising this guy being cool and that he should've gotten away.

Why do I still live on this planet?

kag 07-21-2012 08:57 PM

Premiere got cancelled in japan and Mexico
Quote:

A man murdered a lot of people at a midnight showing the new Batman movie in America, so Warner Bros. is reacting by cancelling star-studded red carpet premiere events across the world. That includes the Tokyo premiere, which has been downgraded to a special screening:

Special screenings of the movie will go ahead in the Japanese and Mexican capitals but will not be attended by its stars.

Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman were all due to attend the premieres.

‘Due to the tragic events in Aurora, Colorado, Warner Bros Pictures has cancelled the previously scheduled personal appearances by the cast and filmmakers in Mexico and Japan on behalf of The Dark Knight Rises,’ a statement released to E! Online said.

‘However, in an effort not to disappoint the dedicated fans of the film, we will proceed with our previously scheduled special screenings for invited guests and promotional winners.’

I am sure many Japanese fans were hoping for a chance to see their favorite Hollywood stars in person. It is very sad that one criminal’s ugly actions can prevent fans and actors from celebrating the movie’s international release.
via Dark Knight Rises Tokyo Premiere Cancelled | Japan Probe

Eenkin 07-22-2012 01:56 PM

The man and the people praising him are sick and insane. I always forget that people like him exist in real life.

Recette 07-22-2012 02:27 PM

The solution - stop selling guns to the general public, or at the very least, greatly increase sale restrictions to the public. Time to update the Right to Bear Arms clause of the Constitution. Leave guns in licensed gun ranges.

And Americans wonder how neighbor Canada has 2/5 of the homicide rate than in the US. Of course, Canadians would appreciate it as well considering a good deal of the firearms used in crimes there come from America as well.

Sanichi 07-22-2012 06:02 PM

I can't say I'm personally against the restricting the sales of guns due to action of one individual in Colorado who lacked rational sanity, however, I could respect one's wishes to place into effect sanity checks in sales of firearms, better monitoring in sales, or even something as small as restricting mass purchases without first identifying the pacific areas you used your provided weapons.

I don't feel guns are the problem, but, people are. People kill people, not guns. That already became relevant when guns had been banned within the country of Australia and restricted to the hands of officers and military personnel. Crime rates shot through the roof, including those of rape and listless burglaries.

Even if you ban the weapons, people are still able obtain them illegally in first place. It is not as if one is not able to spend of bit of money to gain this weapons in the first place. All these weapons per unit can be worth up to several thousands.

Regardless, I would personally believe it's Canada's responsibility to regulate weapons within their own state. That of course would require funding if on were truly concerned about find a "solution". I'm not sure what else I could say.

Recette 07-22-2012 09:59 PM

Yes, people can still buy them illegally, but crime overall decreases because access is made much more difficult.

Crime will happen with or without the sale of weapons. One argument against would be that people would be defenseless against criminals that manage to get hands on their weapons, but for every civilian that manages to defuse a criminal with their own weapon there are dozens of persons killed by either someone who got their weapon legally (I highly doubt that the person in Colorado would have been able to get such high caliber rifles if they were restricted, I mean, you can get things like M16 legally in some states) or accidental deaths. And intelligent criminals do know they can politely ask for the weapons of the persons they are robbing too for that matter.

Of course, the US have a problem in having a ground border with Mexico, but then again, a lot of the weapons the gangs there use also come from the US - good old Texas anyone?

I agree with you that persons are a problem, but I blame the American government and society for that. Freedom of economy and little government intervention created a society that does not cater to the needs of their own poor, unlike in Europe, Canada and East Asia. It is the only developed country without public health care.

Sanichi 07-23-2012 08:06 PM

I don't know. I could say gun control would be good thing if it could be influence everything in a global scale, however, most countries don't have the luxury of restricting access from all other states or find themselves generally closed off from notable states like say, the isolationism of North Korea.

This takes away the success of gun control and results in a general increase in one sided crime where civilians are taken advantage of. In addition, if one introduces gun control, criminals can still obtain guns illegally, that of which normal citizens wouldn't participate in or lest become criminals themselves. Gun control would take away guns from normal people and leave them only to law breakers.

Normal people who typically don't go on massacres whom have families and friends and are normal functioning parts of society with access to guns. More commonly, guns are use for recreation or personal security, not assault. Lest, we would not give firearms to even police officers. Though if that were the case, even law enforcement wouldn't do much in terms of ability to assist individuals.

Otherwise, public health care is another discussion. I personally have nothing against it, however, I could note certainly not all developed countries carry public health care nor could I say it is not without flaws. With public health care, there is a concern hospitals will become overstocked, inhibiting their ability to function properly. Furthermore, with more government spending, the action of charity would decrease with the introduction of taxes. With lower ability for spending, you further progress personal action to separate the needs of the poor for the needs of one's own family.

Recette 07-24-2012 12:03 AM

As I said before, they can get them illegally, but getting weapons in the black market is a more difficult job than getting them legally. If you are blacklisted because you commited a crime, you can always ask for dealers who have a clean record and do not mind selling them illegally.

I already gave my two cents regarding self defense with weapons. Back in the days where everyone was up to themselves, this was a reasonable thing, but these days this is outdated. They cause much more trouble than it is worth. Besides unknown psychopaths (this is not the first mass shooting in the US) you see accidental deaths because kids think handling weapons is cool and their parents are incompetent. Finally, there is a 50 50 percent chance that you will not be able to get to use your weapon in the first place - if you have a weapon in the head and the criminal is a seasoned one, getting your hands on the weapon can be difficult, to say the least. Leave guns to the police.

Or as I suggested, make access much more difficult. Keep a registration list and do regular assessments on the weapons and their owners - at the first sign of trouble confiscate the weapon. And seriously, forbid or restrict (gun range only or only if you have 10+ years as a responsible small gun owner) things like rifles and submachine guns - they are not for self defense so no reason to allow the public to get their hands on them.

Regarding health care, that was just a random example to show how the inequality of the US society. Hospitals will get full if their are not funded, but that is not a huge issue in developed countries where they are actually. The drawback is much higher taxes to fund these systems (I believe the average Canadian spends about 40% of their income in taxes, American 27%). Then again, these 40% actually allow everyone in Canada (ironically an opposite example in which is what I believe to be the only developed country which does not allow private health care to operate) to have nearly free access to health care while in the US if you slacked off and decided to skip insurance, which many people stupidly do, you are toast if you have an accident and have to spend some time in intensive care (some 5k a day without insurance, covered by tax dollars in Canada if you are a resident and paying taxes so you do not have to pay a dime). As a nurse I know other nurses who actually worked both sides of the border, and they are all appalled on how the poor are treated by American health care system. The main drawback is maintaining money flow and recent Canadian governments have moved closer and closer to American mentality, where public cost cutting and tax cuts (which benefit only the rich, keep in mind, not the middle class or lower) have resulted in cuts to the health care system, but the system still works well, so far.

If the rich do charity is mostly because it allows them to actually pay even less in taxes, so that is a non issue. The rich will still "give out" but they will recoup everything and some more thanks to generous tax cuts people are entitled to if they donate money away (and plus looks good for their reputation too). The rich are hoarding money, that is it, there is a recent report you can find that states that the American rich have hoarded 30 trillion dollars away in other countries to keep them safe from taxes.

Dread 07-24-2012 02:57 AM

why make guns in the first place....we only need giant robots in the future to fight those chess battles anyways that would cost a tons so then they prob stop fighting wars instead make some kind of robotic olympic to see who got the best robot/mech hmmm what anime does this remind me of...

i still dont get the US and thier right to bear arms its 200 years old noone going to pillage your town anymore and no1 from canada ofcourse?Its really nowonder why being a police officer is so scary there any1 can pull a gun on you...

Sanichi 07-24-2012 12:09 PM

Viewing it by an age point of view would be similar to the ban of sword carrying during 1876 in Japan. I know individuals who own guns, carry them in their homes and often use them for recreational activities like hunting like I noted before. I know people whom have had parents whom have own guns their entire lives and never seen their parents fire them their entire lives. I know individuals who work in the law enforcement line of work or even the military who wouldn't ban guns from civilian access. I've had a friend personally witness individuals prowling around his home only to chase the offender out with a weapon. I've seen people use guns to clear wild snakes near their property to protect something as simple as a chicken pen.

Most people simply view guns as another weapon, comparable to the sword. I'm just stating this, because, the gun is not leaving America anytime soon. You would likely sooner ban alcohol. Even with a ban, people will still have guns, crimes will still happen, the only difference will be normal citizens will turn in their weapons while criminal will still hold on to theirs and at the very least the prideful citizen might simply keep their weapon.

One side note, if everyone has guns, wouldn't it be scary to be a criminal as well?

EDIT: Personally, I nothing against gun control if you could stop gun production all together in all countries, restricting it from even law enforcement. Otherwise, it's not quite at all possible to eliminate the presence of guns anywhere. I'd like a place where no one used guns on one another myself, but, the world isn't perfect.

Kenzor 07-24-2012 03:35 PM

^
You can't do much if you're trapped in a cinema, where the criminal has guns, traps etc.

But if all he has is a knife, then yes you can even stop them yourself. Where I live we aren't allowed guns and we don't see these kinds of psycho crimes, well not that I know of.

Shanni 07-24-2012 05:18 PM

Christian Bale Visits Aurora, Colo., Shooting Victims - ABC News

:py16:

LauraMix 07-24-2012 05:31 PM

I gained some hope :3