ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   Diabetic teen upset with TSA screeners at Salt Lake City Airport (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/112112-diabetic-teen-upset-tsa-screeners-salt-lake-city-airport.html)

LauraMix 05-10-2012 09:43 AM

Diabetic teen upset with TSA screeners at Salt Lake City Airport

Quote:

SALT L AKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A Colorado teen is upset with screeners at Salt Lake City International Airport. The type one diabetic says TSA agents were abrupt, rude and were responsible for breaking her $10,000 insulin pump. A pump she has to have to survive.
Diabetic teen upset with TSA screeners at Salt Lake City Airport - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Oh dear god why...

Tardar 05-10-2012 10:01 AM

I say it's both of their faults. :/

kag 05-11-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesie (Post 1718205)
I say it's both of their faults. :/

I don't see how it was her fault.

Quote:

She said, "I went up to the lady and I said, I am a type one diabetic. I wear an insulin pump. I showed her the pump. I said, what do you want me to do? I usually do a pat down - what would you recommend?"

Savannah then showed agents a doctor's note explaining that the sensitive insulin pump should not go through the body scanner. She says she was told to go through it anyway. "When someone in a position of authority tells you it is - you think that its right. So, I said, Are you sure I can go through with the pump? It's not going to hurt the pump? And she said no, no you're fine."
I still think this TSA thing is going overboard.

Tardar 05-12-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kag (Post 1718726)
I don't see how it was her fault.

>Has note from doctor (educated) saying not to go through body scanner with her pump
>Goes through anyways after an uneducated person tells her otherwise.

She should've been smarter.

Torikakae 05-12-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesie (Post 1719429)
>Has note from doctor (educated) saying not to go through body scanner with her pump
>Goes through anyways after an uneducated person tells her otherwise.

She should've been smarter.

The "uneducated person" is a person of authority and notoriety. It's not her fault she has to follow protocol and avoid causing a scene.

Mitchi 05-12-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1719488)
The "uneducated person" is a person of authority and notoriety. It's not her fault she has to follow protocol and avoid causing a scene.

This. Also TSA people can be huge jerks if you don't do what they tell you to sometimes. It's the same as when a teacher or parent tells you something, they're authority and they're supposed to know what they're doing, and we're supposed to trust them. Doctors are the same. It's pretty much solely the TSA person's fault for ignoring the doctor's note or at least not taking it to a higher authority.

Buuuut that's their job and it's a tough one. They have to make tough calls every day that could put them on the spot, but in their eyes it's better than being the dude who let an honestly dangerous person on board. At least the girl was compensated.

Torikakae 05-12-2012 09:05 PM

I also must commend this girl. An average person would sue for money. Instead, she wanted better training for all TSA agents so that other people like her wouldn't go through what she did. That shows remarkable maturity for her age.

Opposite goes to the TSA. They never even apologized.

Cornflake 05-13-2012 11:46 PM

and this is why people own private jets. i can't believe the kind of stuff they let fly at public airports.

Belphybear 05-22-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornflake (Post 1720097)
and this is why people own private jets. i can't believe the kind of stuff they let fly at public airports.

Wait, I thought private jets were a luxurious thing, not some sort of way to bypass airport security with "shady" items.