ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   Arizona Is Trolling the Trolls (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/110437-arizona-trolling-trolls.html)

Rhinehart 04-06-2012 03:06 PM

Arizona Is Trolling the Trolls

Quote:

If it annoys you to no end that people write LOL when they are doing no such thing or still insist on overusing exclamation points in emails, you might want to move to Arizona. The state is considering a bill that would make it a criminal offense to be annoying on the Internet.

The Associated Press says the bill is a bi-partisan one that is on its way to Governor Jan Brewer's desk, and is an update to telephone harassment and stalking laws. It adds in computer and smartphone technology, and would ostensibly protect victims of online stalking, harassment and likely, bullying. Many cases may have been dismissed because the law hasn't kept up with technology.

"There's a bona fide need to protect people from one-on-one harassment," said Rep. Vic Williams, a Republican, who has been a key supporter of the bill.

Of course, this whole situation could wheel wildly out of control pretty darn fast, say the bill's opponents. The thing about free speech is that it's not a crime to say what you want, even if it annoys or offends someone. The bill's sponsor Rep. Tim Vogt said, however, that the language in the bill would be updated to make sure that it's all copacetic.

"This is not meant to affect constitutionally protected free speech or activity or speech authorized by law," Vogt said.

If it's left as is, the bill would get you in trouble for speaking in satire, political debate or trash talking. That would not work for this site.
Source: Arizona Is All Like, Maybe Let's Make It Illegal To Be Annoying Online - The Consumerist

Damn. I can't be short, dark and snarky anymore.

Torikakae 04-07-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

a Republican
That explains it...

Queen 04-07-2012 06:55 AM

I had the same thought Taro.

I would be arrested so fast.

Jon 04-07-2012 08:25 AM

Bullying I can understand, but to get arrested for being annoying? That's just too asinine.

Sanichi 04-07-2012 08:26 AM

Okay. I don't like this government anymore.

Sigmus 04-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanichi (Post 1702263)
Okay. I don't like this government anymore.

+1 Agree... I dont want to live in this planet anymore!

mamoru 04-08-2012 03:19 PM

Arizona attracts a lot of bizarre legislation, doesn't it..

Kirks 04-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishka (Post 1703007)
Arizona attracts a lot of bizarre legislation, doesn't it..

Too bizarre it makes my head hurt.

cornpirde35 04-08-2012 08:01 PM

Government is really that bored huh, soon were gonna be arrested for using any abbreviation

Rhinehart 04-09-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigmus (Post 1702993)
+1 Agree... I dont want to live in this planet anymore!

You forgot the .jpg

Harlequin 04-09-2012 04:22 PM

Bill doesn't matter that much, it's still ridiculously difficult to police. And on a state-level, it's not going to make much of a difference.

Rhinehart 04-10-2012 12:46 PM

Exactly. I just find it more comical than anything else.

Lime 04-12-2012 08:34 AM

Soccer moms with no practical sense of the internet rejoice!

kmelfina 04-12-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1702219)
That explains it...

To be honest I'd thought it would be a Democrat lol. Oh well...

Seriously do people not know of legitimate negative liberties? I don't think there could be a freedom to 'not get annoyed on the Internet'.