Try 

Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-07-2012   #21 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitara
and since it's "cool" to be an activist on Facebook/social networking sites (that's basically the angle IC is taking), people are reposting. I'm actually starting to get disgusted, especially after reading about the new perspective on it.

Though, this new perspective is probably being brought up because it's gone so viral overnight. I guess in a way it's a blessing and a curse that so many are reposting/sharing/what-have-you
We're all bought with the hype about wanting to do SOMETHING good [myself included unfortunately]. It's natural for us to want to do good, but there are always unintended or miscalculated consequences...

Urgh I wish I thought a little harder knowing the potential risks (aside from bodyguard children) like the Ugandan military being potentially dangerous in a sense (kinda like some in our U.S. Army but they rarely get reported if ever). I appreciate another light to this, though it might be severely discarded as 'inhumane' or "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE 30,000 CHILDREN SUFFERING!?". Not to mention the money trail going to staff/films (one could argue they're the blood/sweat/tears to get the word out so the pay is justified in a sense).

As my room mate suggested, "I wish it were simple for Kony to get into a peace talk and then get shot. There, problem solved for 1 guy off this Earth".

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-07-2012   #22 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Tama Ashenstone
Class: SMN

I've always had a problem with spreading awareness via social networking. "Share for cancer! Share for peace!" I just have always thought it was disgusting because I see it as one's need to feel a sense of superiority because it looks good to want to do good. I don't give two shits what people think of me, and I know posting about cancer is going to do jack shit about the problem.

Dispatching the leader isn't the solution. What happens to his army? How do you control that? Without their leader, what if a soldier takes command? What if he wants to prove he can be more brutal than Kony? This isn't an easy solution. Sharing on facebook or twitter isn't the solution. Showing how much you care about something you just heard of isn't going to fix it. I CARE about those that suffered, but I think this entire campaign is really underhanded and low.

"How can we get more donations now? We've made shitloads of videos and sell bracelets and stuff already."

"People love looking like that care about being humane, let's start a campaign that centers around showing others on social networking sites how humane you are!"

"Brilliant!"

Go write your government personal (senators, etc) if you want to see a change.

oh and my friends who supported this in the past no longer support IC, but they still support other means to find change. My boyfriend who donated two years ago regrets that some of his money went toward the Ugandan Army.

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03...-down-a-notch/

Quote:
Furthermore, the crisis in northern Ugandan is not seen by its citizens as one that is the result of the LRA. Yes, you read that right. The conflict in the region is viewed as one wherein both the Government of Uganda and the LRA, as well as their regional supporters (primarily South Sudan and Khartoum, respectively) have perpetrated and benefited from nearly twenty-five years of systemic and structural violence and displacement. This pattern is what Chris Dolan has eloquently and persuasively termed ‘social torture‘ wherein both the Ugandan Government and the LRA’s treatment of the population has resulted in symptoms of collective torture and the blurring of the perpetrator-victim binary.
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-lra?page=show
Quote:
Beyond the ins and outs of dealing with Kony, the political challenges in the region are simply too massive for Obama's new operation to yield much fruit. The violence in Uganda, Congo, and South Sudan has been the most devastating -- anywhere in the world -- since the mid-1990s. Even conservative estimates place the death toll in the millions. And the LRA is, in fact, a relatively small player in all of this -- as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence. If Kony is removed, LRA fighters will join other groups or act independently.

Until the underlying problem -- the region's poor governance -- is adequately dealt with, there will be no sustainable peace. Seriously addressing the suffering of central Africans would require engagement of a much larger order. A huge deployment of peacekeeping troops with a clearly recognized legal mandate would have to be part of it. Those forces would need to be highly trained, have an effective command structure, be closely monitored, and be appropriately equipped with sophisticated surveillance equipment and helicopters, among other things. It would require a long-term commitment and would be targeted not only at chasing the LRA. Moreover, it would make the protection of the local populations a key priority. Finally, the deployment of such a force would need to have emerged from concerted efforts in international diplomacy -- including with the African Union, the United Nations, the ICC, and governments in the region -- not as a knee-jerk reaction to the most recent media splash.

Kony is bad. However, it's obvious the solution isn't as easy as just "dispatching" him.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
League of Legends Queen Nimera, Level 20
New Leaf/Pokemon XY 4511 - 0825 - 1589

Last edited by Queen; 03-07-2012 at 12:23 PM.

03-07-2012   #23 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Learned all of that since I posted.

While MANY may be trying to do it for the attention. I refuse to live in a world where the second someone shows some sort of empathy for an issue the knee-jerk reaction is to shout 'attention hoar'. (not directed at anyone in this thread, i've seen worse else where.) The people that we should be angry at is IC for taking advantage of people's desire to spread the word for a good cause. Whether those people are being sincere or not.

I am honestly irritated that IC left out so many details in an attempt to push their cause to success. It's pretty much USING people's emotions to accomplish their mission, regardless of whether they just share the video or actually do 'enough' to bug congress about it.

Also, why 4/20? No, really. Why?

03-07-2012   #24 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I mentioned it was a really underhand method used by IC to take advantage of people's willingness to spread information about cases of humanity and proactiveness (the words are escaping me). If I came off as saying everyone is an attention ho, I didn't mean to. I was trying to really drive the fact that IC used that tendency as a means to spread a message, when the message itself is a really skewed and narrow area of a massive issue. It's horrible misinformation spread in a way it really shouldn't be.

Someone on Facebook who more or less agrees with me said, "#changeandawarenessismorethanjustahashtag".

This issue is WAY more huge than Kony. While he is indeed a bad person, dispatching him won't solve this, like I've said. My boyfriend participated in an IC campaign two years ago at school and now he feels like his emotions were taken advantage of. He regrets giving them money.

I am not for the horrors, and I'm for a solution if one is found. I am not, however, for IC. I feel cheated and kept in the dark - who would question something like this? It's when they went for the "viral approach" that the audience became wide enough that some people did some digging for more info.

03-07-2012   #25 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime
Also, why 4/20? No, really. Why?
Duh, so all the trendy activists can post status updates on facebook about toking up after saving Uganda.

03-07-2012   #26 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitara
Yeah, I mentioned it was a really underhand method used by IC to take advantage of people's willingness to spread information about cases of humanity and proactiveness (the words are escaping me). If I came off as saying everyone is an attention ho, I didn't mean to. I was trying to really drive the fact that IC used that tendency as a means to spread a message, when the message itself is a really skewed and narrow area of a massive issue. It's horrible misinformation spread in a way it really shouldn't be.

Someone on Facebook who more or less agrees with me said, "#changeandawarenessismorethanjustahashtag".

This issue is WAY more huge than Kony. While he is indeed a bad person, dispatching him won't solve this, like I've said. My boyfriend participated in an IC campaign two years ago at school and now he feels like his emotions were taken advantage of. He regrets giving them money.

I am not for the horrors, and I'm for a solution if one is found. I am not, however, for IC. I feel cheated and kept in the dark - who would question something like this? It's when they went for the "viral approach" that the audience became wide enough that some people did some digging for more info.
Didn't mean to refer to you, just angry flamers elsewhere. (there's a Kony thread EVERYWHERE now.)

You're actually one of the posters i appreciate, that's throwing the whole truth into these threads to be considered by those coming into the issue, and that helps a lot. Matter of fact, you actually deserve a + rep for doing so, which slipped my mind before.

03-07-2012   #27 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

courtesy of reddit

03-07-2012   #28 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho
Huge ass picture.
I dislike Reddit even more now.

03-07-2012   #29 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumatora
I dislike Reddit even more now.
The person who created that 'big ass pic' or spreading information of Koney 2012 knowing that the world would be pulled by their emotional strings?

EDIT: Wishing there was more space in the U.S. to have the children as 'refugees' to get out of Uganda. Argh, corrupt evil regimes don't die out easily unfortunately.

Last edited by kmelfina; 03-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.

03-08-2012   #30 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

You might be better off supporting this
Hackers For Charity
They do really great stuff.

You can consider this the peaceful method, by education.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 03-08-2012 at 06:35 AM.

03-08-2012   #31 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Yeah, I'm still talking about this.
Quote:
The Kony 2012 video combines the worst of subtle racism, overt over-simplification of a very complicated problem, and a white messianic complex. It’s part of a discourse that is harmful, has always been harmful, and doesn’t really have the capacity to be anything other than harmful. When you 'raise awareness' by sharing it, you propagate that discourse.
another interesting opinion piece

03-08-2012   #32 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
The accounts suggest nearly 25% of its $8.8m income last year was spent on travel and film-making with only around 30% going toward programes on the ground. The great majority of the money raised has been spent in the US. $1.7 million went on US employee salaries, $357,000 in film costs, $850,000 in film production costs, $244,000 in "professional services" - thought to be Washington lobbyists - and $1.07 million in travel expenses . Nearly $400,000 was spent on office rent in San Diego.
Kony 2012: what's the real story? | Politics | guardian.co.uk

03-08-2012   #33 (permalink)
Banned
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalPangyaS4 League

YenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: YenSai/BeautyDisaster
Class: Foxeh/Cat to_thiefmaster
Level: 35x/TM 38x
Guild: {7N}

I only just found out about it yesterday..The video is very moving to say the least. I hear a lot of people saying that the charity is a scam and not all the money goes to the people it should but..The point is to raise awareness about what is going on and to "make kony famous"..I definitely support it. If this succeeds, change indeed can happen based on the community's demands.

03-09-2012   #34 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Anti-Kony video campaign draws criticism in Uganda - Yahoo! News

Quote:
But critics here said the video glosses over a complicated history that made it possible for Kony to rise to the notoriety he has today. They also lamented that the video does not inform viewers that Kony originally was waging war against Uganda's army, whose human rights record has been condemned as brutal by independent observers.

Burnett added that while the LRA issue is important, Uganda's military also needs to be accountable and professional — "and there's still a long way to go in that regard."

I'll state again that supporting IC isn't the best way to support this, if people actually read the whole thread. If you REALLY want to support this, find a fund to donate to elsewhere.

Awareness is good, but IC has been deemed a very questionable group to give your money to. I repeat, this issue is a lot deeper than dispatching Kony, and just taking him out (let's say in the next 24 hours) could definitely be a bad thing (army would join a larger force, someone else could take command of Kony's army, the Ugandan government is pretty shitty as it is, neighboring countries are affected as well, etc)

Open your eyes, people. If you think taking out Kony will solve all the problems you're allowing yourself to remain oblivious and lacking in knowledge of the entire problem (not saying I know everything, I'd like to add) and that you're blatantly ignoring the tons of literature on the issue being posted in the thread. You're letting IC pull on your heart strings and letting yourself be blind.

Last edited by Queen; 03-09-2012 at 09:12 AM.

03-09-2012   #35 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

Other countries have their Kony's out there, but what started it all out? Poverty, which is something that cannot be ridden away easily especially after the years of colonizing crops just to be sold back to the Western countries. It may seem as if Kony kidnapped/prostituted the children with him, but what's to say the children won't do the same thing once he's gone? The political and social environment for Uganda and surrounding countries cannot be solved quickly [after doing a bit of research].

Ask a Ugandan.

03-09-2012   #36 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelfina
Other countries have their Kony's out there, but what started it all out? Poverty, which is something that cannot be ridden away easily especially after the years of colonizing crops just to be sold back to the Western countries. It may seem as if Kony kidnapped/prostituted the children with him, but what's to say the children won't do the same thing once he's gone? The political and social environment for Uganda and surrounding countries cannot be solved quickly [after doing a bit of research].

Ask a Ugandan.

100% support this post. Africa is a mess, let's face it. It's the sad truth. This is why the white mans burden is being brought up so much. Only Africans can fix Africa. We can't stop their governments corruption or their hatred for each other. Kony has been active for 20 years iirc? We have known Africa to be pice poverish for how long? I dont mean to sound heartless or cruel but get a grip people. One video you watched isn't going to stop kony. I pray people read this thread in its entirety instead of becoming an activist after 30 minutes. My guess is you've known Africa has been in rough shape for the bulk of your life. Where was your vigor to help then?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...over-film.html
Quote:
It aims to make Kony “famous” by encouraging supporters to plaster US cities with posters, in order to make the fight against the Lord’s Resistance Army an issue of “national interest” to Washington.
That, the video’s makers claim, will ensure funding for 100 US military advisors sent to train African armies to find Kony will continue.
“Suggesting that the answer is more military action is just wrong,” said Javie Ssozi, an influential Ugandan blogger.
“Have they thought of the consequences? Making Kony ‘famous’ could make him stronger. Arguing for more US troops could make him scared, and make him abduct more children, or go on the offensive.”
Rosebell Kagumire, a Ugandan journalist specialising in peace and conflict reporting, said: “This paints a picture of Uganda six or seven years ago, that is totally not how it is today. It’s highly irresponsible”.

Last edited by Queen; 03-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.

03-09-2012   #37 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

The best way to help anywhere is to educate not go to war.
War only creates more war and even terrorism.

FYI: Somalia is another place which has no control
The government's territory is smaller than the rebels.

There's also a documentary series called Don't tell my mother which shows which stuff like this happening in other parts of the world. (Not all the episodes is about such stuff)
Don't Tell My Mother - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Somalia is in season 4

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 03-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.

03-09-2012   #38 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineProject Blackout

Valese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond reputeValese has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Valese
Class: Charm to_primadonna
Level: 340
Guild: {7N}

I heard Kony's been dead for a good few years now, and the guy that made the video is doing it just to make money. And 'Invisible Children' gets about 70% of the money made. Only 30% goes to charity.

Also. Bracelets that people can use to track you down in real life and see what you're doing and where you are at any time of the day? No thank you.

03-09-2012   #39 (permalink)
ღ #нвιc 7.18.11
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaGrand ChaseEden Eternal
Awards Pervert Award

AnaSyami has disabled reputation
IGN: AnaSyami
Class: #1 Everything.
Level: 75
Guild: AutoBots

I've been looking at this video and what people have said, and i've heard what Ugandan people have been saying, and the truth is what are they trying to achieve?Like finding Kony but you know he has been gone for over 6 years now?Rumors that he is dead, that video is old actually, the people in Uganda are not having problems with Kony anymore.. It seems strange to me that 2012 is the 'time' that they want now for this to happen. I'm sorry, it sounds really nice and all but do you know only 30% of that money that they make goes towards that cause? They make over 13million a year and only 30% goes there. The guy making that video that you've all watched makes about 90 thousand for that. I Love Rihanna and she seems to support it, but I have my reasons why I don't feel right about this, I don't want to sound crazy but.. to say the least I don't feel right about this. Do your research people, this isn't what it seems.
Look more into the details of the video, the symbolism in it as well, and actually Listen to what they are saying, They are saying it's a New World, a time for change, and that nothing is more Powerful than an idea that the time has come, the time is Now.
You'll probably all laugh if I say how I feel, since nobody believes in any conspiracies or none of that but this in my opinion is all a part of something they aren't showing you guys, New World Order. How bout you take some time and type in Illuminati behind the names of your favorite musicians or your favorite celebs. Get ready is all I'm going to say, and well nobody has to believe what I said it's just what I feel and believe.

Oh and another thing I just thought to add on because I thought about it while talking to val, is why a deadline?Why exactly 2012? You know that video has a deadline by the end of 2012, it's like putting a deadline on hope, if you support something you will support it till no end, why exactly is it just this year ? So moving and so touching yet a deadline stamped right over it .

Last edited by AnaSyami; 03-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.

03-09-2012   #40 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

@Valese: Whoops! Totally forgot about that tracking bracelet!

@AnaSyami: As much as I'd like to believe in the NWO/Illuminati/Rothschild/RedShield etc that somehow all the most powerful leads and entertainers are somehow part of a conspiracy to rule the world... is a bit complicated at best. Might as well look at the empirical researched evidence presented and not go off in a conspiracy tangent. Besides the Mayans said the world would end in Dec 21st 2012, so KONY 2012 is just 10 days off ;D