Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-21-2012   #61 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

It is still illegal to sell those cakes, as long as you make money from it, it is illegal to use copyrighted material unless you have obtain license/permission from the owner.

You're not going to get into trouble from drawing copyrighted stuff unless you sell them. (But SOPA will make stuff you draw for example on deviantart illegal, but i'm not sure if SOPA governs drawings)

I can't remember the music ones but i think the songs have to be shorter than a certain length and you can't sell them as well. (SOPA will make such stuff illegal as well)

No idea about china

Government knows about the Internet but they don't know about how SOPA works, ask most people about DNS and they won't know a thing.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about some of these things.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-22-2012   #62 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
It is still illegal to sell those cakes, as long as you make money from it, it is illegal to use copyrighted material unless you have obtain license/permission from the owner.

You're not going to get into trouble from drawing copyrighted stuff unless you sell them. (But SOPA will make stuff you draw for example on deviantart illegal, but i'm not sure if SOPA governs drawings)

I can't remember the music ones but i think the songs have to be shorter than a certain length and you can't sell them as well. (SOPA will make such stuff illegal as well)

No idea about china

Government knows about the Internet but they don't know about how SOPA works, ask most people about DNS and they won't know a thing.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about some of these things.
Would there be a point of copyright law to a level of completely owning an idea itself (if a company owns a legal monopoly on it)? Like... drawings of characters (DBZ and all that other anime stuff) of someone using his/her own materials but not necessarily having the papers of ownership. What about parodies of ideas (movies, presidential campaigns etc)? I kinda fear it would extend from ownership of a specific set of musical notes with lyrics to full blown ideas x_x;

01-22-2012   #63 (permalink)
wow so scare
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute

I've no real significant input on these posts, but from what I've read on this thread so far... SOPA/PIPA pisses me off even more. -_-

01-23-2012   #64 (permalink)
Just a cosmic girl
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIris OnlineFlyFFRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Moonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant future
IGN: Moonflow
Class: Kitty
Level: RIP

The issue of copyrighted music confuses me.
Because if I play an A,E, D chords or the classic dom7 blues chord progression, you can't copyright that.
Millions of songs use those chords, yet, those songs are copyrighted.

So you can't play a song that is copyrighted, but you can play your own song that just so happens to use the exact same chord progression.
Right...?

Let's say I make and record a song using a classic blues riff and the 20 most popular blues licks used by guitarists for the last 50 years.
Can I copyright that? Maybe
should I copyright that? No! I don't own those licks.

That in my opinion is what most pop music is today.
They are using the same old tried and true melodies used by millions of other people, they put them in a little package and claim they own it.
BS.

Last edited by Moonflow; 01-23-2012 at 01:36 AM.

01-23-2012   #65 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
IGN: Kremet
Class: Seleana lt_sorcerer
Level: 70
Guild: KuroNeko
Xfire: riolu

Looks like Europe has it's own SOPA under the name of ACTA.

I suck at embedding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-POCD...layer_embedded

Last edited by Riolu; 01-23-2012 at 01:54 AM.

01-23-2012   #66 (permalink)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

Thank you for this. I really enjoyed his thorough explanation of SOPA/PIPA and the back story.

Down with couch-potatoism! Up with sharing and producing! Up with a living, breathing, evolving Internet! They won't take our freedom from us!

01-23-2012   #67 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonflow
The issue of copyrighted music confuses me.
Because if I play an A,E, D chords or the classic dom7 blues chord progression, you can't copyright that.
Millions of songs use those chords, yet, those songs are copyrighted.

So you can't play a song that is copyrighted, but you can play your own song that just so happens to use the exact same chord progression.
Right...?

Let's say I make and record a song using a classic blues riff and the 20 most popular blues licks used by guitarists for the last 50 years.
Can I copyright that? Maybe
should I copyright that? No! I don't own those licks.

That in my opinion is what most pop music is today.
They are using the same old tried and true melodies used by millions of other people, they put them in a little package and claim they own it.
BS.
Someone who has a copyright (thus ownership) of something like music can have legitimacy on what can be done with it whether another person who uses a similar idea gives credit or not.

Case and example: Cover songs. Record companies basically own what singers produce, since a famous youtuber Kurt Hugo Schneider and his friend Sam Tsui had to take down a few music videos at the request of said record companies. The general public knows where the songs originated from, and yes Kurt/Sam profitted since they used their own materials to create the music... but the ownership of those same melodies/lyrics belong to someone else.

Other examples: "Under Pressure" and "Ice Ice baby" (the bass), and a small melody from The Rolling Stones "Anybody Seen my Baby" compared to K.D. Lang's "Constant Craving".

01-23-2012   #68 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

You Canucks aren't getting off that easily.

Michael Geist - The Behind-the-Scenes Campaign To Bring SOPA To Canada
Quote:
The Internet battle against SOPA and PIPA generated huge interest in Canada with many Canadians turning their sites dark (including Blogging Tories, Project Gutenberg Canada, and CIPPIC) in support of the protest. In writing about the link between SOPA and Canada, I noted that the proposed legislation featured an aggressive jurisdictional approach that could target Canadian websites. Moreover, I argued that the same lobby groups promoting SOPA in the U.S. are behind the digital lock rules in Bill C-11.

While SOPA may be dead (for now) in the U.S., lobby groups are likely to intensify their efforts to export SOPA-like rules to other countries. With Bill C-11 back on the legislative agenda at the end of the month, Canada will be a prime target for SOPA style rules. In fact, a close review of the unpublished submissions to the Bill C-32 legislative committee reveals that several groups have laid the groundwork to add SOPA-like rules into Bill C-11, including blocking websites and expanding the "enabler provision"to target a wider range of websites. Given the reaction to SOPA in the U.S., where millions contacted their elected representatives to object to rules that threatened their Internet and digital rights, the political risks inherent in embracing SOPA-like rules are significant.

The music industry is unsurprisingly leading the way, demanding a series of changes that would make Bill C-11 look much more like SOPA.

For example, the industry wants language to similar to that found in SOPA on blocking access to websites, demanding new provisions that would "permit a court to make an order blocking a pirate site such as The Pirate Bay to protect the Canadian marketplace from foreign pirate sites." Section 102 of SOPA also envisioned blocking of websites:

A service provider shall take technically feasible and reasonable measures designed to prevent access by its subscribers located within the United States to the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) that is subject to the order, including measures designed to prevent the domain name of the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) from resolving to that domain name’s Internet Protocol address. Such actions shall be taken as expeditiously as possible, but in any case within 5 days after being served with a copy of the order, or within such time as the court may order.

The music industry also wants Internet providers to be required to adopt a termination policy for subscribers that are alleged to be repeat infringers. According to the industry document:

To incent service providers to cooperate in stemming piracy by requiring them to adopt and reasonably implement a policy to prevent the use of their services by repeat infringers and by conditioning the availability of service provider exceptions on this being done.

This demand would move Canada toward the graduated response policy that could result in loss of Internet service for Internet users. There is no indication in the music industry document of due process or even proof of infringement.

Several lobby groups also want language similar to that found in the infamous Section 103 of SOPA. That provision, which spoke of sites "primarily designed or operated for the purpose of...offering goods or services in a manner that engages in, enables, or facilitates" infringement, raised fears that it could be used to shut down mainstream sites such as YouTube.

According to the music industry document, Bill C-11's "enabler provision" should be expanded to include "services that are primarily operated to enable infringement or which induce infringement." Those demands are echoed by the Entertainment Software Association of Canada, which called on the government to "amend the enabling provision to ensure that it applies to services that are "designed or operated" primarily to enable acts of infringement." Both groups also want statutory damages added to the enabler provision so that liability can run into the millions of dollars for a target website.

Just as there are questions whether SOPA is even needed in the U.S. (the takedown of Megaupload suggests that current laws are effective), the same is true with the enabler provision in Bill C-11, given that the music industry is already suing IsoHunt, the Canadian-based torrent search site, using current law. The expansion of the enabler provision to include sites that operate to enable or induce infringement could extend far beyond so-called "pirate sites", since many user generated content sites (such as YouTube) and cloud-based service sites can be said to enable or induce infringement, particularly in a country like Canada that does not have a fair use provision.

As for the government's plans, C-11 committee member Dean Del Mastro specifically referenced changes to the enabler provision in a recent interview about potential changes and there are rumours that the U.S. government is pushing the Canadian government to toughen the enabler provision (while keeping the digital lock rules unchanged). That suggests that just as the U.S. is moving away from SOPA in its own laws due to the political uprising against it, the Canadian government may be headed toward a similar quagmire as the U.S.-backed lobby groups lead it down a politically risky path.

01-24-2012   #69 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelfina
Would there be a point of copyright law to a level of completely owning an idea itself (if a company owns a legal monopoly on it)? Like... drawings of characters (DBZ and all that other anime stuff) of someone using his/her own materials but not necessarily having the papers of ownership. What about parodies of ideas (movies, presidential campaigns etc)? I kinda fear it would extend from ownership of a specific set of musical notes with lyrics to full blown ideas x_x;
Parodies are quite a grey area, sometimes the movie/show have obtained rights to parody. But if the parodies are very subtle, you might be able to use them without any issues. Most companies don't sue when you use parodies cause it is free advertising to them.
And most parodies doesn't even need to deal with this cause they own all the movies/videos in the first place.
For example if universal pictures was to make a parody movie they can create a movie using content from any of universal pictures movies.

Comcast, Ad Agency Sued over Godzilla Commercial - FOX 11 News - myFOXla.com

Copyright is a scary law not to be trifled with, when in doubt, get permission.

and for music industry you can play chords and stuff etc without any problems, it is exact copying which violates copyright. That's why songs that are re-sung doesn't need to give any royalties or obtain any permissions, provided the background music is recreated.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 01-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.

01-24-2012   #70 (permalink)
Banned
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalPangyaS4 League

YenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond reputeYenSai has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: YenSai/BeautyDisaster
Class: Foxeh/Cat to_thiefmaster
Level: 35x/TM 38x
Guild: {7N}

Also read this from a LoL announcement..

"Well, Congress heard your message loud and clear. Today, it appears both SOPA and PIPA have lost virtually all support in the House and Senate, and the chief sponsors of the bills have admitted defeat. You’ve helped score an incredible victory for freedom of expression on the Internet."

SO. HAPPY.

01-24-2012   #71 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenSai
Also read this from a LoL announcement..

"Well, Congress heard your message loud and clear. Today, it appears both SOPA and PIPA have lost virtually all support in the House and Senate, and the chief sponsors of the bills have admitted defeat. You’ve helped score an incredible victory for freedom of expression on the Internet."

SO. HAPPY.
Step 2: make sure those who voted for it don't keep their office >_>;

01-24-2012   #72 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online

icyshadow is on a distinguished road
IGN: Eucliwood
Class: Bard to_bard
Level: 146

From what I've heard acta is international since it involves many countries. Also what about pcipa? Protect children from Internet pornographers act. It has Internet providers keep logs up to a year of all it's customers. Things like bank account numbers, purchases, sites visited, ip address, name, home address all ready for the government to check. I recently found this so don't quote me on it. Just search up the act. The abbreviation doesn't get results that well. I will research it more in the morning. It's quite late so I need some sleep for midterms tomorrow.

01-25-2012   #73 (permalink)
wow so scare
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute

My friend told me about ACTA, PCIPA, and another bill that seems to have escaped my mind atm...

01-25-2012   #74 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

PCIPA is a horrible exploit of people's emotions. The methods of monitoring have near nothing to do with the title of the bill.

Who the hell would leave a credit card trail for something like that? Really, think about it. Now it doesn't sound as messed up as SOPA/PIPA was, but still.

01-25-2012   #75 (permalink)
Mega
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Donges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Dezel
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

Ugh lots of people saying ACTA passed/is about to be passed? Is this true?

If so it looks like we just got f'ed by the government....like SOPA/PIPA were just out there to distract us while they do stuff behind the scenes =/

01-25-2012   #76 (permalink)
Socially Awkward Penguin
Games
Cosmic BreakNostaleLa TaleGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

cornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Corneal35/CORNmecha
Class: Ruinwalker\Engistar lt_treasurehunter
Level: 19X/16X
Guild: StarOcean

^ We got ninjaed with ACTA

Ireland and EU to sign controversial ACTA treaty tomorrow · TheJournal.ie

Kinda pisses me off that the first issue touched in 2012 is copyright laws instead of everything else thats going wrong in the world

Last edited by cornpirde35; 01-25-2012 at 11:35 PM.

01-26-2012   #77 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
MabinogiLa TaleEden EternalMapleStory

Routine has a spectacular aura aboutRoutine has a spectacular aura aboutRoutine has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Routine
Class: magic lt_sorcerer

Yep, ACTA has been signed by most EU countries today. There have been protests and manifestations all week long here in Poland, which started with Anon blocking several sites related to the government (it's their own fault, if they had such piss-poor security). So far, the politicians have been feeding us a load of bullsh*t. They keep saying that ACTA isn't going to change anything in Poland's laws regarding the internet, but if that's the case, then why even sign it?

People here are starting to get really pissed.

01-26-2012   #78 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online

icyshadow is on a distinguished road
IGN: Eucliwood
Class: Bard to_bard
Level: 146

So far my information gathering has told me: "The agreement has so far been signed by the US, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea. Poland is expected to sign it in Tokyo on Thursday." As in today. I hear Poland has riots, I mean marches right now.

Edit: You know that pcipa I was talking about earlier? Get this, it's being proposed/created/sponsored whatever by Lamar Smith. The same guy that did above with sopa.

Last edited by icyshadow; 01-26-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: new info

01-30-2012   #79 (permalink)
Just a cosmic girl
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIris OnlineFlyFFRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Moonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant futureMoonflow has a brilliant future
IGN: Moonflow
Class: Kitty
Level: RIP

Avaaz - ACTA: The new threat to the net

02-01-2012   #80 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice
i glanced over bill c-11, though i surely did not read most of it. i can't find any instances where it says websites will be blocked just because they contain some form of copyrighted material. a lot of it just seems to be stuff about take down notices and what can be done if content isn't removed.

i'm moderately concerned, but i was wondering if anyone had an article that actually sited specific instances where this is as pervasive and crippling as sopa/pipa.