「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri
Default The New National Defense Authorization Act Is Ridiculously Scary

Quote:
Fellow entrepreneurs, Americans, anyone who still cares about this country at all -- this is a must read: By the end of this week, the US government very likely will have the power to lock up US citizens for life at Guantanamo Bay or other military prisons -- without charge and without trial. This means that, in the near future, a controversial Twitter post, attending a peaceful protest, or publishing an anti-Congress critique or anti-TSA rant on Google+ could land you "indefinite detention" for life, in the wording of the bill. No access to a lawyer, no access to trial.
Read the rest here.

Kind of a sensationalist article, admittedly ("OMG Google it if you don't believe me!"). So,

Further reading:

White House threatens veto over detainee policy

Senate keeps controversial detainee policy in defense bill

Udall Amendment rejected (Senate vote summary)

Official response from the White House (Nov 17)

Good god, first SOPA (Please don't forget that it is still a threat) and now this? Get me the hell off this planet.

The fact that something like this is even attempting to be passed is just outrageous.

Also, I've seen people remarking that this looks like a ploy to get the President to veto military funding so that that can be used against him in the election. Honestly, this is so ridiculous that I wouldn't doubt it that was part of it. Either way, this can't pass.

モノノ怪

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-30-2011   #2 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

I have no doubt this will pass. They'll just put anyone who disagrees in indefinite detention.

11-30-2011   #3 (permalink)
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

So why are these people still around?

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

11-30-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

^ guess who elected 'em x_x;

Getting them out is going to be a harder option, if most American citizens aren't detained.

11-30-2011   #5 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

thats so... sudden

11-30-2011   #6 (permalink)
⊙__⊙
Games
Perfect WorldEther Saga OdysseyLa TaleLegend of Edda

Esperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to beholdEsperetta is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Esperetta Send a message via Yahoo to Esperetta Send a message via Skype™ to Esperetta
IGN: Esperetta
Class: Everything to_champion
Level: 0-24x
Guild: Space Cowboys

lol, so long land of the free.

11-30-2011   #7 (permalink)
VIP
Games
MabinogiVindictusDungeon Fighter OnlineLineage

Dread has a spectacular aura aboutDread has a spectacular aura aboutDread has a spectacular aura about
Class: GeassGundam to_champion

come to canada....

11-30-2011   #8 (permalink)
swiggity swoogity
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

This is coming from the same government that declared pizza a vegetable.

SMH my country.

11-30-2011   #9 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Not entirely correct. Pizza itself was not declared a vegetable. I believe it was like two or three cups of tomato sauce that was actually what was termed a "vegetable." i.e. So long as a pizza had the required amount of tomato sauce, then it would be considered "healthy," so to speak. A push for healthier foods in schools was rejected just prior to that, actually. So the alternative is warping the terms of what is considered healthy so that the less healthy foods stay in schools. Healthier options are too costly for schools, etc etc.

Besides the fact that tomatoes are not even vegetables anyway.

tl;dr lol America

モノノ怪

11-30-2011   #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryxios
Not entirely correct. Pizza itself was not declared a vegetable. I believe it was like two or three cups of tomato sauce that was actually what was termed a "vegetable." i.e. So long as a pizza had the required amount of tomato sauce, then it would be considered "healthy," so to speak. A push for healthier foods in schools was rejected just prior to that, actually. So the alternative is warping the terms of what is considered healthy so that the less healthy foods stay in schools. Healthier options are too costly for schools, etc etc.

Besides the fact that tomatoes are not even vegetables anyway.

tl;dr lol America
It wasn't 2 or 3 cups of tomato sauce. It's 1/8th of a cup of tomato paste was declared to be equal in nutritional value to 1 whole cup of vegetables. It's how it is and how it has been. And what happened was Congress shot down a bill by the Obama administration which( among other things) would declare 1/2 a cup of tomato paste as being equal to 1/2 a cup of vegetables.

On topic, the article mentions that this amendment was being backed by Carl Levin(D) and John McCain(R). People can complain about Obama, but the guy who was pushing this amendment was the alternative.

11-30-2011   #11 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Bah I couldn't remember the amount. I just knew that it wasn't pizza that was being called a vegetable, which is the common misconception about it.

I stand corrected, good sir. /salute

モノノ怪

11-30-2011   #12 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

What I have to say about this thread:

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

11-30-2011   #13 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games

Doesn't make it any less valid. Hardly anyone knows about it, apparently. I think it's worth throwing out there. With all the nutcases in the Senate, I wouldn't take anything they try to throw out too lightly, because you never know what could happen. I'm not going to dismiss this just because it's too outrageous to pass.

モノノ怪

12-04-2011   #14 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute

The bill passed Senate. The USA is still only half a military police state, YAY!

Last edited by MsSquid; 12-04-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: God, I'm stupid.

12-04-2011   #15 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Starting to think "2012" might be real.

12-04-2011   #16 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Rumor has it that they're attempting to do a "Media Blackout" regarding its passing, since it hasn't been reported in any major news network. Is that true?

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

12-04-2011   #17 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

More like trying to keep people in the dark about it so there isn't even MORE outraged protesting than already is.

12-04-2011   #18 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Awards Pervert Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
Rumor has it that they're attempting to do a "Media Blackout" regarding its passing, since it hasn't been reported in any major news network. Is that true?
FOX of all things actually has a report of it on their website, so I find that highly unlikely. Major media outlets have always been more concerned about trivial bullshit, anyway.

12-04-2011   #19 (permalink)
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

This ridiculous bill actually passed? Wow.

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

12-04-2011   #20 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bill
(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS
16 AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—
17 (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to 18 detain a person in military custody under
19 this section does not extend to citizens of the United
20 States.
21 (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The require
22 ment to detain a person in military custody under
23 this section does not extend to a lawful resident
24 alien of the United States on the basis of conduct
25 taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.
Overreactions are overreactions. As I mentioned in the OWS thread, it barely does anything if you're a citizen.

Here is the bill in case you're wondering. That part is section 1031/1032.

Last edited by james; 12-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.