ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   News & Current Events (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/)
-   -   The New National Defense Authorization Act Is Ridiculously Scary (http://ggftw.com/forum/news-current-events/105572-new-national-defense-authorization-act-ridiculously-scary.html)

Kusuriuri 11-30-2011 03:43 PM

The New National Defense Authorization Act Is Ridiculously Scary

Quote:

Fellow entrepreneurs, Americans, anyone who still cares about this country at all -- this is a must read: By the end of this week, the US government very likely will have the power to lock up US citizens for life at Guantanamo Bay or other military prisons -- without charge and without trial. This means that, in the near future, a controversial Twitter post, attending a peaceful protest, or publishing an anti-Congress critique or anti-TSA rant on Google+ could land you "indefinite detention" for life, in the wording of the bill. No access to a lawyer, no access to trial.
Read the rest here.

Kind of a sensationalist article, admittedly ("OMG Google it if you don't believe me!"). So,

Further reading:

White House threatens veto over detainee policy

Senate keeps controversial detainee policy in defense bill

Udall Amendment rejected (Senate vote summary)

Official response from the White House (Nov 17)

Good god, first SOPA (Please don't forget that it is still a threat) and now this? Get me the hell off this planet.

The fact that something like this is even attempting to be passed is just outrageous.

Also, I've seen people remarking that this looks like a ploy to get the President to veto military funding so that that can be used against him in the election. Honestly, this is so ridiculous that I wouldn't doubt it that was part of it. Either way, this can't pass.

MsSquid 11-30-2011 04:23 PM

I have no doubt this will pass. They'll just put anyone who disagrees in indefinite detention.

Dani 11-30-2011 04:27 PM

So why are these people still around?

kmelfina 11-30-2011 04:45 PM

^ guess who elected 'em x_x;

Getting them out is going to be a harder option, if most American citizens aren't detained.

Bolter 11-30-2011 05:16 PM

thats so... sudden

Esperetta 11-30-2011 05:21 PM

lol, so long land of the free.

Dread 11-30-2011 06:00 PM

come to canada....

Ascherit 11-30-2011 06:33 PM

This is coming from the same government that declared pizza a vegetable.

SMH my country.

Kusuriuri 11-30-2011 07:11 PM

Not entirely correct. Pizza itself was not declared a vegetable. I believe it was like two or three cups of tomato sauce that was actually what was termed a "vegetable." i.e. So long as a pizza had the required amount of tomato sauce, then it would be considered "healthy," so to speak. A push for healthier foods in schools was rejected just prior to that, actually. So the alternative is warping the terms of what is considered healthy so that the less healthy foods stay in schools. Healthier options are too costly for schools, etc etc.

Besides the fact that tomatoes are not even vegetables anyway.

tl;dr lol America

Noctis 11-30-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryxios (Post 1647668)
Not entirely correct. Pizza itself was not declared a vegetable. I believe it was like two or three cups of tomato sauce that was actually what was termed a "vegetable." i.e. So long as a pizza had the required amount of tomato sauce, then it would be considered "healthy," so to speak. A push for healthier foods in schools was rejected just prior to that, actually. So the alternative is warping the terms of what is considered healthy so that the less healthy foods stay in schools. Healthier options are too costly for schools, etc etc.

Besides the fact that tomatoes are not even vegetables anyway.

tl;dr lol America

It wasn't 2 or 3 cups of tomato sauce. It's 1/8th of a cup of tomato paste was declared to be equal in nutritional value to 1 whole cup of vegetables. It's how it is and how it has been. And what happened was Congress shot down a bill by the Obama administration which( among other things) would declare 1/2 a cup of tomato paste as being equal to 1/2 a cup of vegetables.

On topic, the article mentions that this amendment was being backed by Carl Levin(D) and John McCain(R). People can complain about Obama, but the guy who was pushing this amendment was the alternative.

Kusuriuri 11-30-2011 09:37 PM

Bah I couldn't remember the amount. I just knew that it wasn't pizza that was being called a vegetable, which is the common misconception about it.

I stand corrected, good sir. /salute

Jon 11-30-2011 09:53 PM

What I have to say about this thread:

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Kusuriuri 12-01-2011 12:53 AM

Doesn't make it any less valid. Hardly anyone knows about it, apparently. I think it's worth throwing out there. With all the nutcases in the Senate, I wouldn't take anything they try to throw out too lightly, because you never know what could happen. I'm not going to dismiss this just because it's too outrageous to pass.

MsSquid 12-04-2011 08:57 AM

The bill passed Senate. The USA is still only half a military police state, YAY!

Lime 12-04-2011 09:16 AM

Starting to think "2012" might be real.

Torikakae 12-04-2011 09:31 AM

Rumor has it that they're attempting to do a "Media Blackout" regarding its passing, since it hasn't been reported in any major news network. Is that true?

Lime 12-04-2011 09:47 AM

More like trying to keep people in the dark about it so there isn't even MORE outraged protesting than already is.

MsSquid 12-04-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torikakae (Post 1649383)
Rumor has it that they're attempting to do a "Media Blackout" regarding its passing, since it hasn't been reported in any major news network. Is that true?

FOX of all things actually has a report of it on their website, so I find that highly unlikely. Major media outlets have always been more concerned about trivial bullshit, anyway.

Dani 12-04-2011 11:49 AM

This ridiculous bill actually passed? Wow.

Tardar 12-04-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Bill
(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS
16 AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—
17 (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to 18 detain a person in military custody under
19 this section does not extend to citizens of the United
20 States.
21 (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The require
22 ment to detain a person in military custody under
23 this section does not extend to a lawful resident
24 alien of the United States on the basis of conduct
25 taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

Overreactions are overreactions. As I mentioned in the OWS thread, it barely does anything if you're a citizen.

Here is the bill in case you're wondering. That part is section 1031/1032.