Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-10-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlinePangya9DragonsDream of Mirror Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart
Xfire: rhinehart
Default Occupy Wall Street

I thought it necessary to rewrite the original post in this thread to properly convey where I'm coming from on all of this. My original original post is behind the spoiler tag at the end of this new post, if you still want to read it.

I've been a bit of a political individual for most of my adult life. Largely because I'm somewhat of a philisophical guy. I do a lot of heavy thinking and I've always questioned everything. I love what this country supposedly stood for with the founders being deists like myself, aiming for the seperation of church and state, writing the declaration of independence and the bill of rights. I'm a huge fan of all the equal rights movements to date and I believe discrimination is a thing of the past. I know it's still alive and well today, but I think any human being who can recognize we're all human beings is one with more than enough common sense.

But corporations are not people. They don't think like people. And they shouldn't be afforded the same rights, let alone more rights than the people. And that, my friends, is what the Occupy Wall Street movement/protests is all about. Wall Street, the big banks and corporations (especially the oil and energy industries) have bought, sold and paid for this country and practically every politician in it. They run the show, presidents are just figureheads. No matter who's elected, things have gotten progressively worse. We have now entered an age where the president can assassinate an American citizen without due process.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was a terrorist, but he was also American. I believe we've had some American terrorists before, such as the Oklahoma City Bomber, the Unibomber and that sniper guy, if you wanna throw him into the terrorist category as well. But they were all prosecuted and found guilty in a court of law. Anwar al-Awlaki wasn't. Call me paranoid if you must, but if they can assassinate American citizens without due process, it sets a very unhealthy precident.

So you're probably thinking "Oh, this guy's not a very big fan of America himself, is he?". The answer to that question is yes and no. This country's a mixed bag. Always has been. I'm proud of a lot of our history, our founding and the principles this country was founded on, but I've seen them torn asunder and seen things get progressively worse. I, personally, identify very heavily with the founding fathers, deists who wanted a seperation of church and state, equality and the rights to speak freely, persue happiness and all that good stuff this country used to stand for. So when people say the terrorists hate us because of our freedom, I just say "What freedom?". We used to have it. Now our freedom of choice is limited to what kind of ice cream you want at 31 flavors, what brand of sneakers with lights in them you want to buy. But when it comes down to presidents, you've gotta choose between two guys and usually, it's two rich white men.

It's nice that we have a black president now, but that was the only change we got when he was elected. I don't know if they were false promises while he was running or not (personally, I'd like to think Obama really wanted to fix this country, but once he was in office, he just had too many favors to return from his financial backers that conflicted with those promises), but they certainly seem to be false now. I never really saw the point in voting (forgive the following anology, but I really feel this way) because every presidential cantidate is the same shit in a different burning paper bag, but they all get put on the same porch. And a lot of this really does have to do with the favors to financial bankers. Largely to see that pesky laws regarding regulation don't get enforced. Because God forbid we should arrest these frauds. The truth behind all of the money in politics has been covered by Russia Today in the following video. Give it a watch so you know I'm not just talking out of my ass here.

So, where are all the people of good conscience willing to stand up for this injustice, hmm? George Carlin once answered that question before answering it with "We don't have people like that in this country. Everybody's at the mall, scratching their ass, pulling their wallets out of their pockets to buy sneakers with lights in them". The complacency of the American people has gone on too long in this country, but frankly, I never really saw an end to it and held no hope for a better future.

But then that happened. I thought I was just going to sit back and watch everything fall apart, but George Carlin and I were wrong. We do have people of good conscience who won't just sit back and watch. They'll stand up for what they believe in. The people of this country and the world.

Since the Occupy Wall Street movement began last month, it has spread to various cities across the country and suddenly, the world over. Despite mass arrests and police brutality, the protests have remained peaceful and has become a gigantic movement with the Occupy Wall Street protesters raking in $300,000 in donations. Polls and turnout prove just how many Americans are sick to death of things being the way they are and are demanding change.

It's hard for me to not be inspired by all of this. This has raised my faith in humanity, this country, the world and our future. Because despite all of this...

There's still some of this.

Original post in the spoiler tag. Even though the above is so much better.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Rhinehart; 01-05-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Rewrote the original post.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-10-2011   #2 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

I was there for two days when it first began. The police flooded the street with their cars to control the traffic :v

10-10-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart

Glad to hear you were there, dood! Wish I could get there. But the movement's spreading to numerous locations around the country now, too.

I also want to post this video I just found on RussiaToday.

Gotta love that.

10-10-2011   #4 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

So it finally happened~

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

10-11-2011   #5 (permalink)
gah lol
Special
Games
MabinogiDragon NestTrickster Online

AnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really niceAnnabelleMarie is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to AnnabelleMarie
IGN: Annabelle/AnnabelleMarie

today on the way home mhms i dont remember what news radio show i was listening at the time but they were talking about how people are now just going for the free food and sex lol and something about free condoms being passed out

Squatters and drug addicts invade Zuccotti Park and Occupy Wall Street protests - NYPOST.com

My Steam ID - My Facebook
3DS Friend Code: 2020-0049-4799
Animal Crossing New Leaf - Aerielly, Town Totoro

10-11-2011   #6 (permalink)
Feeling nostalgic, huh?
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaAuditionzOMG!
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanPervert Award

Gaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond reputeGaap has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Gaap
IGN: Makina
Class: Multi-Character to_boxer
Level: Pro D
Guild: Magika

I am waiting for someone to post this. Thank you Rhinehart!

Mike Mozart of JeepersMedia (famous for FAIL TOY videos) frequently reports about Occupy Wall Street on G+ and I tried to keep on touch with his YouTube Streams, but man it's so laggy. But thanks to that I get to witness the first-ever mass protest and unbelievable arrest stories. ;_; (So many people in variety of ages too!)

Sadly i'm in Cali, so I don't know if my area has an impact yet.

10-11-2011   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaap
I am waiting for someone to post this. Thank you Rhinehart!

Mike Mozart of JeepersMedia (famous for FAIL TOY videos) frequently reports about Occupy Wall Street on G+ and I tried to keep on touch with his YouTube Streams, but man it's so laggy. But thanks to that I get to witness the first-ever mass protest and unbelievable arrest stories. ;_; (So many people in variety of ages too!)

Sadly i'm in Cali, so I don't know if my area has an impact yet.
You're welcome! I've been waiting for something like this to happen for a long time. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen until I started hearing about the uprising in Egypt and some other countries, then I figured it was bound to happen here.

The protests have pretty much spread across the country, though. There's a lot of locations participating in what's seeming to become Occupy America, though they haven't used that name or anything. Just Occupy [insert city name here] for each city, but as a whole, I think I'll just call it Occupy America. I wish I could find out what locations there are. I think I remember there is (or will soon be) protests at all the Federal Reserve buildings in the US, though, so there's that.

I don't quite remember how I found out about it, though. It was probably from Keith Olberman as I tend to look for his special comments on YouTube periodically, so that was probably it. But I have an update from RussiaToday I'd like to share here as well.

10-11-2011   #8 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

I didn't think anything could possibly come of this at first, but now... maybe. A lot of the "99%" still thinks the entire protest is nothing but hippies with degrees in Women's Studies, though. Also, I would go around pepper spraying people if I had sadistic parents who named me Tony Bologna too.

10-11-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Well, violence and arrests have returned to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

And regardless of whatever you might think about Anonymous, what they say in this video is absolutely right. We're winning.

10-11-2011   #10 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Games
League of LegendsSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterMapleStoryDragon Nest
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorFacebook Fan

Role has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant futureRole has a brilliant future
IGN: DestN

Because I live in the "general NYC area", I've been hearing this in the news every single day. People getting beat/pepper sprayed are tards. When it first happened, I'll understand it. But crossing the ****ing barricade, they are just asking for it. I understand their cause but god, most of this shit is getting blown out of proportions because of the tards.

In my honest opinion, this is a waste of time and most of the people now don't really know the reason why they are even there...

10-11-2011   #11 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

As long as the voice is heard, then it's never a waste of time IMO

Just as long as it doesn't turn into another Vancouver Riot or the recent UK-style destruction...

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

10-11-2011   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirei
Because I live in the "general NYC area", I've been hearing this in the news every single day. People getting beat/pepper sprayed are tards. When it first happened, I'll understand it. But crossing the ****ing barricade, they are just asking for it. I understand their cause but god, most of this shit is getting blown out of proportions because of the tards.

In my honest opinion, this is a waste of time and most of the people now don't really know the reason why they are even there...
For decades of government corruption initiated by the top 1% (or even .01%) it would seem to be a worthy cause to fight for.

Well if it only the protests were just like the peaceful Tea Party.

Only difference: donations to the police department to control and tame the protesters by the big banks and corporations (bailing out failed banks with our tax dollars, outsourcing to foreign countries, student debts piling up, constant failed wars that are only for corporate interests with no means of gaining anything for the American people, buying out politicians for own interests through lobbying, foreclosures, tax cuts whereas teachers get a 20% reduced pay etc), now that's saying something that the message has been at least heard and seems to be a serious issue to them.

Different people from all walks of life are finally waking up, especially since every American news media outlet (save a few good reporters) mock this as a "class warfare" issue when it's not. The middle class has gone through enough of suffering by those who profit from it.

Call me crazy if you wish, but after participating in the Occupy Richmond it seemed worth it. Hopefully these protests can last long.

10-11-2011   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelfina
For decades of government corruption initiated by the top 1% (or even .01%) it would seem to be a worthy cause to fight for.

Well if it only the protests were just like the peaceful Tea Party.

Only difference: donations to the police department to control and tame the protesters by the big banks and corporations (bailing out failed banks with our tax dollars, outsourcing to foreign countries, student debts piling up, constant failed wars that are only for corporate interests with no means of gaining anything for the American people, buying out politicians for own interests through lobbying, foreclosures, tax cuts whereas teachers get a 20% reduced pay etc), now that's saying something that the message has been at least heard and seems to be a serious issue to them.

Different people from all walks of life are finally waking up, especially since every American news media outlet (save a few good reporters) mock this as a "class warfare" issue when it's not. The middle class has gone through enough of suffering by those who profit from it.

Call me crazy if you wish, but after participating in the Occupy Richmond it seemed worth it. Hopefully these protests can last long.
You hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for speaking up. I couldn't've said it better myself. I'm pretty sure the protests will continue until things change and I'm feeling pretty optimistic that things WILL change. There's really no other choice, at this point. Though if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another civil war. But I can't imagine that ending well, considering all the weapons the 1% could easily buy. So hopefully things will change via these peaceful protests.

10-12-2011   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinehart
You hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for speaking up. I couldn't've said it better myself. I'm pretty sure the protests will continue until things change and I'm feeling pretty optimistic that things WILL change. There's really no other choice, at this point. Though if they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another civil war. But I can't imagine that ending well, considering all the weapons the 1% could easily buy. So hopefully things will change via these peaceful protests.
It's just so scary though, there's some conservative "We are the 53% so suck it up OWS Protesters" group out there. In my opinion a movement like that sounds totally defeatist or in better words "why bother?" since they accept the system we have currently and have no interest in looking or even realizing that there are other options out there on how our economy can be handled.

So many different taxes like payroll, sales etc which many people who are at the OWS couldn't keep up with anymore. Others work with 2-3 jobs, have a house that can't sell, outrageous costs of insurance, even marines who don't have jobs who don't have health insurance who couldn't afford it somehow blame it on themselves when it's the system that grew into this one monstrosity where the average person cannot survive since it's all rigged.

10-12-2011   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelfina
It's just so scary though, there's some conservative "We are the 53% so suck it up OWS Protesters" group out there. In my opinion a movement like that sounds totally defeatist or in better words "why bother?" since they accept the system we have currently and have no interest in looking or even realizing that there are other options out there on how our economy can be handled.

So many different taxes like payroll, sales etc which many people who are at the OWS couldn't keep up with anymore. Others work with 2-3 jobs, have a house that can't sell, outrageous costs of insurance, even marines who don't have jobs who don't have health insurance who couldn't afford it somehow blame it on themselves when it's the system that grew into this one monstrosity where the average person cannot survive since it's all rigged.
I have no idea how "53%" of Americans could possibly be satisfied with things being the way they are. Exactly because of all the things you just said. I think "53%" is a massive exaggeration.

Edit: Hell, in my original post, I linked to a poll on Fox News that asked "Do 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters Represent Your Views of the Economy?" and so far, 69.84% of the people polled have said "Yes. These folks are right about corporate greed and what's happening to the little guy". So yeah, I think they just made up that "53%" statistic.

Last edited by Rhinehart; 10-12-2011 at 12:39 AM.

10-12-2011   #16 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Really boring lengthy documentary of how this system came about.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

10-12-2011   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

I think I saw that a long time ago, but I'll likely watch it again just to make sure. Right after I finish watching this.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but even Obama's supporting the movement. Not that that surprises me, really. I don't really believe the promises he made to get elected were necessarilly false promises at the time, but once he got in office, he probably realized just how hard it was to exact those promises and that not even the president can do it by himself.

10-12-2011   #18 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Irrelevant. Just a bunch of apes who aren't going to change much immediately. Contrary to what Anon. may imply with their whole "blah blah blah squash the resistance -> movement victory," it's going to take a significant more work than just "one" protest (how long did it take Womens' Suffrage? How long did it take Civil Rights?).

If the Americans actually want to see something done, they're going to have to commit. I highly doubt there will be committing, and I seriously doubt they want the true after-effects of what they call for.

And for that matter, it's going to take more than just a small handful of people to actually get beyond the little to none progress they've had. Reasoning? Egypt, only 80 million people large, had a 2 million (2 million in Cairo, millions elsewhere) person revolution/protest. What are we at? The NYC "unit" is at a mere 19,000 compared to the 2 million in Cairo. Yup. We're making so much progress. We're winning. Did you see that reform legislation proposed? So radical, gonna change everything.

Also, so presh that Anon. threatens to hack NYPD. As garbage as our government is cyberly (better than most others), what a great way to get shut down.

Last edited by Tardar; 10-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.

10-12-2011   #19 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

on a side note, the protesters are more liberal version of the Tea Party :v

10-12-2011   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho
on a side note, the protesters are more liberal version of the Tea Party :v
Listen to CNN or MSNBC as they degrade the OWS Movement as stupid hippies? Just like Fox News.

This severely is a misconception. Whether conservative, liberal, democrat, republican, no matter the race, religion etc that divides us in the end it's the voice of "We the People who are fed up on what corporations have been doing to warp the government to their will".