Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-06-2008   #1 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

AurorasParadox has disabled reputation
Default Gloomy Sunday

Me and my friends were discussing about songs on msn when someone brought up Gloomy Sunday, the suicide song. Curious, I searched the internet to get more info and well, this is what I found:

Quote:
1. Up to seventeen suicides were purportedly linked in some way to the song "Gloomy Sunday" in Hungary before the song was (allegedly) banned. These "links" included people who reportedly killed themselves after listening to the song (either from a recording or performed by a band), or who were said to have been found dead with references to "Gloomy Sunday" (and/or its lyrics) in their suicide notes, with "Gloomy Sunday" sheet music in their hands, or with "Gloomy Sunday" playing on gramophones.

I don't know how any of these claims could be verified short of paging through old Hungarian newspapers; even then, it would be difficult at this late date to separate exaggerated and fabricated reports from true ones. I suspect that this portion of the legend is trivially true, a combination of Hungary's historically high suicide rate and the assumption of a causal rather than a coincidental relationship between the song and suicides that caused rumors and media reports to be greatly exaggerated.

Hungary has had the highest suicide rate of any country for many years (as high as 45.9 per 100,000 people in 1984), so a few dozen suicides there over a year's time certainly wouldn't have been unusual, even in 1936. Nor is it at all uncommon for suicides to work something from popular songs or books or films into their deaths. Only when one particular song was coincidentally linked to a sufficient number of suicides to draw attention to all the suicides in which it played a part did people start to claim that it was somehow the cause of these deaths.

2. Many claims are made about the reaction to "Gloomy Sunday" by Hungarian authorities, from "discouraging" public performance of the song to an outright ban on it. I have found no reliable information about when, where, or by whom this song might have been banned in one form or another. My guess, based on similar legends (such as the claim that Donald Duck was banned in insert Scandinavian country of choice), would be that some Hungarian municipalities may have instituted some types of (possibly voluntary) restrictions on the song, but that there was no nation-wide ban on "Gloomy Sunday."

3. The claims about American reaction to the song are even wilder. Some sources claim that no "Gloomy Sunday"-inspired suicides were reported in the USA at all, while others attribute cases of suicide (up to "200 worldwide") in both the USA and Britain to the English-language version of "Gloomy Sunday" (including "young jazz fans" who became depressed after hearing Billie Holiday's version of the song). Likewise, while some sources say that there were no restrictions whatsoever placed on the song in the USA, others claim that it was "banned from the airwaves." (Sometimes the ban is said to have been directed at a particular version of the song, such as Billie Holiday's recording of it.) Some sources even claim that a sort of "compromise" ban was enacted as many radio stations played only the instrumental version of the song.

4. The "girlfriend who inspired the song committed suicide" claims sounds like an embellishment of the basic legend, as I only found one source that mentioned it. It claimed that Javor "wrote the song for a former girlfriend," and that shortly after its release she committed suicide and left behind a note reading simply "Gloomy Sunday."

5. Rezso Seress did indeed commit suicide, jumping from a Budapest building in 1968. This portion of the legend also appears to have been embellished, with some sources claiming that he was depressed because he'd never been able to produce another hit after "Gloomy Sunday."

Last updated: 23 May 2007

The URL for this page is snopes.com: Gloomy Sunday Suicides

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-07-2008   #2 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

WhoIamIsNot4u2know is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WhoIamIsNot4u2know
IGN: Ace

after reading this thread, i went on youtube to search the song, listened to both versions with lyrics and the instrumental version to see the "hidden messages" in the songs, but none.

this urban legend does excite me to find out more information.

08-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

The history is neat and the song isn't bad. I really don't think that this song would drive anyone to suicide.

08-08-2008   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

WhoIamIsNot4u2know is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WhoIamIsNot4u2know
IGN: Ace

but think about it, this song could cause sum1 to kill themselves from the past.
music has evolve in many ways, so this one song could cause the people of the past to take their own lives and to the modern day people who have listened would not feel an effect at all.

08-09-2008   #5 (permalink)
Don't touch 8|
Awards Retired Content StaffRetired Content Staff

Sheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the roughSheep is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Flarina/Lunata
Class: SHEEP/ ???? to_soulmaster
Level: 142/5xx
Guild: SOLOMODO/Wish
Xfire: !!! D8

Music can be used for propaganda, and many other purposes. ( Especially when embedded with subliminal messages). Anyone remember that Simpsons episode where bard had a band? yvan eht nioj? and a picture of uncle sam out of nowhere?

But yeah, if you are weak minded. DO NOT WATCH THAT. I am only saying that out of concern, and because I don't want a "omg someone died on MOG" thread popping up.

08-09-2008   #6 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Just because many people associate a certain song with a feeling doesn't mean it causes that feeling.

Hell, I like to listen to really angry music when I'm really angry. It doesn't alter or inspire my feelings, but it helps me to recognize em better.

It's a sad song, but if someone kills them self while listening to this song, they were intending to do it anyways.