Perfect World
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith
Default How to start a band?

I've been considering on starting a band (jazz/grind ftw) with my friends, but we have no experience.

Any tips on how to start and run a band?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

well i believe the first part is getting everyone together and practicing together to see hoe you sound. first start by covering some songs. like playing favorites that you all have and then as you gain more experience and become more comfortable you can perform original songs.

as far as getting exposure, i don't really know. in my area there are bars that let local bands play. some of these local bars cater straight towards the blues and jazz crowd. try looking for places like that there. they'll want to see you guys run through a set so make sure you guys are ready for the audition. and good luck...

also dunno what kind of area you live in but i live in a tourist area so we have street performers. that might be another way to get exposure for your act

08-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphybear
I've been considering on starting a band (jazz/grind ftw) with my friends, but we have no experience.

Any tips on how to start and run a band?
Don't believe in yourself Belphybear, believe in the me who beli-...

Well as the old saying goes, "practice makes perfect" except practice together. Play do various songs together till you get your own rhythm and confidence to start making your own music(if you're into that) and try taking it from there. To tie in with what Pedro mentioned depending on where you live for example say you lived here in Ireland you could try hitting up a few pubs and playing music for the locals once you guys feel ready.

Last edited by Metty; 08-24-2009 at 06:47 PM.

08-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough

I live in London, and the metal community there seems kind of small. Although, I need to look into it deeper.

08-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
Fireflies & Lightning Bug

Note is a jewel in the roughNote is a jewel in the roughNote is a jewel in the rough
Guild: FrenchBread

Well, you guys must really have unity and you must enjoy it.. I started making a band years ago and we are quite good until band members started to do some demands.. Like they wanna play a song that we can't actually play.. Just practice and practice and as much as possible practice together..

Hmmm.. Actually if you are going for Jazz I guess coffee shops with band playing would be a good spot for you guys..

Well as for exposure I guess some bars/coffee shops will start to say that you guys will play for free in your first 3days to 1 week if the people loves you I guess they would hire you as regular and if you guys aren't so experienced start as a garage band and play on birthday parties or simply a friends party..

08-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

I doubt a coffee shop will let a jazz/grindcore band play.