League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-16-2014   #1 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of
Default North, South, East, West Rappers

Ok, I gotten to know that rap/hip-hop is being divided into directional categories, well I just curious to know which categories do these rappers/hip-hop stars that I'm listing below belong to: 50 Cent, B.o.B, Bow Wow, Busta Rhymes, DMX, Dr. Dre, Drake, Eminem, Flo Rida, Ice Cube, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, LL Cool J, Ludacris, Nelly, Pitbull, Soulja Boy, T-Pain, T.I., Xzibit and Young Jeezy

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-20-2014   #2 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith

East Coast (in nearly all cases, this means New York)
50 Cent
Busta Rhymes
DMX
LL Cool J
Jay-Z

Detroit
Eminem

Mid-West/Chicago
Kanye West

Southern
B.o.B
Flo Rida
Lil Wayne
Ludacris
Nelly
Pitbull
Soulja Boy
T-Pain
T.I.
Young Jeezy

West Coast
Dr. Dre
Ice Cube
Xzibit

Bow Wow & Drake, to my knowledge, don't really belong to any regional scene.

That being said, regional classification in hip hop generally only matters for music released prior to the millennium, where the east and west coast had very distinguishable sounds from each other. For example, the west coast had a smoother and funkier sound in the 90s (i.e. G-Funk); whereas the east coast had a grimy, harder hitting sound especially during 92 to 94 (or 95).

But don't take my word as gospel, I've been stuck listening to 90s hip hop for the past four years.

05-20-2014   #3 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphybear
East Coast (in nearly all cases, this means New York)
50 Cent
Busta Rhymes
DMX
LL Cool J
Jay-Z

Detroit
Eminem

Mid-West/Chicago
Kanye West

Southern
B.o.B
Flo Rida
Lil Wayne
Ludacris
Nelly
Pitbull
Soulja Boy
T-Pain
T.I.
Young Jeezy

West Coast
Dr. Dre
Ice Cube
Xzibit

Bow Wow & Drake, to my knowledge, don't really belong to any regional scene.

That being said, regional classification in hip hop generally only matters for music released prior to the millennium, where the east and west coast had very distinguishable sounds from each other. For example, the west coast had a smoother and funkier sound in the 90s (i.e. G-Funk); whereas the east coast had a grimy, harder hitting sound especially during 92 to 94 (or 95).

But don't take my word as gospel, I've been stuck listening to 90s hip hop for the past four years.
To note, Bow Wow is from Ohio and Drake is from Canada, but they're both signed to New Orleans-based Cash Money Records.

That being said, you're right. To an extent, most hip-hop nowadays doesn't differentiate too much. Your true regional differences nowadays are mostly going to exist in the underground music scene, or with people who hit it big and gained nationwide fame in the underground scene (like MF Doom).

05-20-2014   #4 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

"Cash Money Records"

I laughed at how much they aren't even trying to be subtle anymore.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

05-21-2014   #5 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

Oh so that's how it is now eh, and it turns out that none of them falls into the Northern category much to my surprise, thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by Bolter; 05-21-2014 at 09:37 AM.

05-21-2014   #6 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith

The rapper closest to north on your list would be Drake, but that's because he's from Canada.

That being said, is there even a distinct Northern sound in hip hop?

05-21-2014   #7 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphybear
The rapper closest to north on your list would be Drake, but that's because he's from Canada.

That being said, is there even a distinct Northern sound in hip hop?
The "north" and the "east" sounds would functionally be the same, since they're basically all from New York.

05-22-2014   #8 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

well if what Harlequin said is true, it just means that Northern and East Coast rappers are together in one category.