ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Movies / TV Shows and Media (http://ggftw.com/forum/movies-tv-shows-media/)
-   -   Les Miserables (http://ggftw.com/forum/movies-tv-shows-media/113138-les-miserables.html)

Tardar 05-31-2012 12:32 PM

Les Miserables

I'm happy that this is getting a movie, but I'm not happy with virtually any of the cast at all. Except the Thenardiers. Also, Lea Michele was considered for Eponine but was not selected. WHAT IS WRONG IN THE WORLD.(Cast is up on Wikipedia).

I will see it because I love Les Mis anyways.

kuyaBaka 05-31-2012 02:24 PM

Taylor Swift was also for the role of Eponine.

I'm happy with Amanda Seyfried, Anne Hathaway, and Aaron Tveit.

Tardar 05-31-2012 05:15 PM

I'm sure the acting is going to be spot-on, I'm more concerned about the singing (given the fact some of the cast are not singers). Either way, I'm sure it'll be decent.

kuyaBaka 05-31-2012 06:25 PM

Seyfried is trained in opera, just as a little fun-fact.
And Aaron Tveit is a tiny, cute, blonde musical God.

But I mean, considering it's a movie I'm sure there's going to be a lot of studio work when they record the tracks.

Tardar 05-31-2012 10:46 PM

Well I knew Seyfried could sing, I had read it somewhere when Mamma Mia! was going on. Not to mention I thought she had done a solid job in Mamma Mia! anyways. I didn't know Tevit was a singer until I had looked him up.

I'm actually most concerned about like... Russel Crowe and Wolverine. I'm sure it'll sound "fine," but it just bothers me in the back of my head anyways.

Every time I see young Cosette I think it's Dakota Fanning and I'm all "Dakota, wat r u doin."

Rydia 06-01-2012 01:56 AM

You shouldn't be worried about Hugh Jackman at all, he's done a lot of theater, even won a Tony and an Oliver award. He's probably the best of the cast lol. No comment on Russel Crow...gonna reserve judgement. :/ Javert is one of my favorite characters ever so...

I'm excited to see Colm Wilkinson as the bishop and Francis Ruffle as...a random ***** lol.

Edit/ Ok I guess I can't say that, a random LADY OF THE NIGHT.

1stsim144 06-05-2012 09:15 PM

For all I care, Anne Hathaway alone. Yes.

People been commenting on the way she sang 'I dreamed a dream' in the trailer. Saying like her voice are not pitch on, Broadway-like... The thing is, when you sold your hair AND turned into prostitution so your child have better life than yours, who the hell cares about the pitch? I say her emotion was spot on. Can't wait..

The downside, WHY HELENA BONHAM-CARTER IS THE EVIL WIFE. T_T

And as far as I know, half of the cast are musically trained. So.. No problems here. Except that yes, Lea Michele. Damn it.

Navi 08-13-2012 01:22 AM

Omg only read this news just now. CANNOT effin' wait. Will seriously sing in the theatre when this comes out, I can see it now lol

Harlequin 08-18-2012 12:31 AM

Just gonna say, I burst out laughing when I saw the trailer in theaters. The singing felt so weird, at least in the trailer :v

mamoru 12-29-2012 10:24 PM

les mis is my all-time favorite musical since i was a little gay in middle school choir. i went to see it today. i tried not to be a purist because i already have in my mind my own personal dream cast aaand i can definitely say i loved the movie. sometimes i felt the close-ups were too heavy-handed and the pacing could have gone a bit smoother but it was totally worth the wait.

i didn't care much for russell crowe's javert (did they lower the key for his songs? it felt like it) but the cast in general were amazing. everyone in the theater was moved to tears by the reprisal of do you hear the people sing. i also didn't expect to see colm wilkinson, so he was a really nice surprise. i'm glad to end the year with this film.

also i'm so glad no one sang along to the songs in the theater. ;_;

Beel 12-30-2012 04:20 PM

My family typically doesn't celebrate Christmas, so on Tuesday, I hit the movies to see Les Mis. I'd been anticipating its release for MONTHS, mind you, yet despite all the hype I'd prior built in my mind, the musical-turned-theatrical-epic still exceeded my every expectation. Some of the most haunting numbers include "On My Own" (Samantha Barks), "Do You Hear the People Sing?" (ensemble), and—the Oscar magnet—"I Dreamed a Dream" (courtesy of the poised, flawless Anne Hathaway). Honestly, I'm considering a second showing; it's that good!

SO DO YO'SELF A FAVOR IF YOU HAVEN'T GONE AND GOGOGOOO

Sunniiee 12-30-2012 06:38 PM

Yay Anne Hathaway. I'm excited to see this, anyway. Seeing it with my European history AP class.

Tardar 12-30-2012 10:34 PM

Anne Hathaway trying to sing while trying to be dead -> so very bad, I cringed.
Anne Hathaway trying to sing when not trying to be dead -> very good.
Amanda Seyfried's vibrato -> no.
Russ-- -> no. Get someone who can actually sing next time.
One Day More -> no. Learn how to layer that song pls.

Basically my grievances with it. I liked it overall tho.

Nebula 12-30-2012 10:43 PM

I might watch this. However, since I saw the trailer... I have had "Can you hear the people sing?" stuck in my head.

It has been about 3 weeks since then.

buta 12-31-2012 02:19 AM

I don't think Russell Crowe can't sing. It's just I feel his voice isn't intense enough for the part that Javert seems to be.

I watched it on the 27th for my sister's birthday and I liked it a lot. While I was slightly annoyed cause it wasn't exactly like the 10th anniversary version which I watched as a wee boy, I feel like it was filmed very well and the style of recording (on the spot as opposed to recording it) did indeed help in invoking more emotion in scenes.

I also like how Colm made a reappearance, being the most legit Valjean that I know.

mamoru 12-31-2012 02:46 AM

^ i totally agree. i've heard russell crowe sing before and he isn't bad. i think he was just miscast as javert. i would have preferred to see maybe alan rickman (or even philip quast!!) in the role. i think part of it was that he didn't really understand javert's character -- his own words, from an interview i saw before.

Tardar 12-31-2012 11:58 AM

Frances Ruffelle also made an appearance. I distinctly remember seeing her. Which is good though, because she's my favorite Eponine.

Veloze 01-01-2013 10:52 PM

Thinking of taking my brother out to watch it with me.
Would you guys recommend it?

Tardar 01-01-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloze (Post 1795265)
Thinking of taking my brother out to watch it with me.
Would you guys recommend it?

Yes. But if you're a huge fan of the stage production, you might be a little upset, but otherwise it's really great as a standalone film.

kag 01-03-2013 01:14 AM

Russell Crowe was bad, his vocal range isn't wide enough.

Cinematography wasn't good enough.
- Too much in your face and static angles for too long, it starts to get on your nerve after a while.
- And the fast switching between characters when they have one line each. either do some picture in picture or something else.

Still an ok movie overall, i like the opening scene.