ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Trickster Online > Trickster Online Character Types > Magic Type

Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-08-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Pandorina is on a distinguished road
IGN: Pandorina | Cosmarion
Class: Sheepeh to_soulmaster
Level: 2xx | 19x
Guild: Koala Kingdom
Default How to prevent a SM from dying ;p

Any player who has worked on leveling a Soulmaster before will most likely know what i'm talking about.

So I would like to start a general discussion / question on how to prevent a soulmaster from dying.

I have a Water/Elec Soulmaster on 194 (currently), who has been working with half cash, half ingame equipment so far, and who is still dying way too much for my taste - although she is sporting a decent (imo) 1.8k DP and 15k HP at the moment. Her Block isn't too bad with about 220 Luk either, as far as I can tell, but I've had little possibility to compare her to other sheeps her level, really.

How have you guys come to terms with the problem of dying? Just accepted it as a normal part of being a Soulmaster, what with the lack of Light Shield / Shield of Heaven / Dark Barrier? Dug up some super awesome shields / inner wear / whatever to make DP go to unimagined heights?

Any opinion / idea / experience is welcome, I would just love to find a way around the ongoing deaths in Mine Quests etc. :3

Pandorina - Soul Master - Lv. 200
Cosmarion - Dark Lord - Lv. 210

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-08-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of Legends

InfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Sacrifice your MA and get an altiverse hat compounded with LK.
My tiara for lvl 110 gives me 455 DP, which is crazy! Level to 200 and get flash bat hat/shield OR build a full flash bat set for even better survivability.

07-08-2012   #3 (permalink)
Games
Trickster OnlineHello Kitty OnlineMabinogi

Nikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a problem of being a Soul Master. It's not even a class specific problem at all. I run around with about 4k DP on both of my Soul Masters and have never had a problem dying. Get more DP if you're dying too often. It's not like there's much else you can do.

07-08-2012   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

So basically sacrifice MA for DP, and just see yourself to highly refined Shields/Hats for the survivability alone?

07-08-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

InfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond reputeInfernalGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Only replace MA hat with LK comped helm with nice DP . But keep your hat, you might need that extra MA in certain situations.

07-08-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Yeah, well, my thought was something like "good DP and LK would be nice, but what if I cannot OHKO my opponents without the MA I would have had on my hat?". So I guess having two hats for that matter would be the only acceptable option.

07-08-2012   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud of
IGN: h1zuka/PrincessJanine
Class: Fat People
Level: 280/313

Putting more HP would also be a nice solution. You'll just have to heal fast.

07-08-2012   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Kaay has a spectacular aura aboutKaay has a spectacular aura about

I would tell you.. a fair good set for a Soul Master is 50k hp 5k DP 1,5k Ma.Its hard to balance all but its a good "Reference".
For now,try to change hat for a DP one as long you can OHKO.
People sometimes forget but Sheep Hat 210 is DP refinable,and have a "nice" base,so lv it to 9 or so and get a 1k DP one.

07-08-2012   #9 (permalink)
Games

Nikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaay
a fair good set for a Soul Master is 50k hp 5k DP 1,5k ma
What are you doing?

10-15k HP and ~3k DP is just fine, Pandorina. What Kaay stated is quite the exaggeration of what a "fair good" set for a pvm Soul Master should be.

Last edited by Nikeos; 07-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.

07-08-2012   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Nikeos, you meant PvP soul master?

07-08-2012   #11 (permalink)
R
te amo
Games
Trickster OnlineCabal OnlineDivine SoulsElsword
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

R has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandorina
So basically sacrifice MA for DP, and just see yourself to highly refined Shields/Hats for the survivability alone?
Hell no. If you sacrificed MA for any stat, it should be for HP. A good refined Altiverse or Powerful Shield will get you enough DP.

07-08-2012   #12 (permalink)
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalGuy
Nikeos, you meant PvP soul master?
No. I'm fairly positive most pvp Soul Masters use bulky HP and LK.

07-08-2012   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud offate23 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care
Hell no. If you sacrificed MA for any stat, it should be for HP. A good refined Altiverse or Powerful Shield will get you enough DP.
Yes this. The only time you should go for DP rather than HP is if you can actually make the DP high enough to make monsters drop their damage by a lot. As for mine mobs(the ones for PQ) I'd rather go HP, you could also rust them to lower the damage. If its for grinding i usually try my best to make their damage go down to 1 at the same time have enough MA to OHKO.

07-08-2012   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeos
No. I'm fairly positive most pvp Soul Masters use bulky HP and LK.
Kinda off topic but yes blessing SM go bulky HP with LK/AC/both at the same time has interchangeable MA item(usually weapon) just in case opponents don't use MR.

07-08-2012   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Mmmh, so opinions differ a bit, it seems, when it comes to what is more preferable - DP or HP.

Like I said, atm it's about 15k health, which is not enough if mine mobs berserk at me, and Rust works perfectly fine, esp. for bossing, but not for more than one opponent at a time.

I'm using a Twist Shield on Lv 7 atm, trying to get something higher soon. That should improve DP greatly, I hope, and yeah, a hat with more DP would be great, but like I said, I wouldn't want to drop my MA to drastically. Atm I'm good with OHKOing the mobs, but Idk if I can keep that up if I lower the MA for the sake of DP or health.

Thank you, Nikeo, for a range I may be able to reach for now ;3 3k DP sounds do-able in the near future.

A new shield would do for more health, too, I guess.

As for the Sheep Hat - that's an awesome idea, really, the only problem is that I have no idea when or even if they are going to bring them back. I don't have a single piece of the sheep set as of now.
Maybe, if they re-include the boxes into MS, I may be able to get a part of that.

What about Pet stats? What would you guys consider most important? MA / HP / LK?

07-08-2012   #16 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

Quote:
Any player who has worked on leveling a Soulmaster before will most likely know what i'm talking about.

So I would like to start a general discussion / question on how to prevent a soulmaster from dying.

I have a Water/Elec Soulmaster on 194 (currently), who has been working with half cash, half ingame equipment so far, and who is still dying way too much for my taste - although she is sporting a decent (imo) 1.8k DP and 15k HP at the moment. Her Block isn't too bad with about 220 Luk either, as far as I can tell, but I've had little possibility to compare her to other sheeps her level, really.

How have you guys come to terms with the problem of dying? Just accepted it as a normal part of being a Soulmaster, what with the lack of Light Shield / Shield of Heaven / Dark Barrier? Dug up some super awesome shields / inner wear / whatever to make DP go to unimagined heights?

Any opinion / idea / experience is welcome, I would just love to find a way around the ongoing deaths in Mine Quests etc. :3
I couldn't fathom why this topic existed until you said those things I bolded in underline.

Here's my take on it, having been through this.

1. Which mine PQ are you doing? If it's at black swamp, then you're probably dying a lot because:

-You haven't gotten undine's space yet.
-Those Guard Mons have guard break, deadly to ALL characters, no matter how haxed out(or not) in MS you are.
-Fighting the wrong way.

ALL pre-snow mine pq's are pretty nasty because of that armor destructor and guard break the mini bosses use. It will cut all of your 15k HP down in milli seconds.
Since you're a water/elec SM, you shouldn't be having problems at all, even with hybrid eqs honestly. Just utilize your stun & immobilization skills & fight with a strategy.

You should always distance yourself and take out the monsters one by one, not run charging in and casting electro attack first. You're supposed to shard(lock it in place) + electro(stun after), if you don't have undine yet, at every start of each mini fight. The other guard mons that are tagged will be immobilized, so use that chance to further re-separate them again.

If you have undine's, then taking them out all at once will be easy. Gather them up -> Electro to stun -> cast undine -> Stun again -> Staff -> Tesla -> Electro -> repeat. If you don't have it, GET the skill and master is asap.

---

As for stats here is what's most important in PvM for a water/elec SM in order of biggest to least:
1. HP
2. LK
3. MA
4. DP
5. HV

HP is the most important because it's easy to stack and will keep you alive. LK comes second because I'd rather be able to hit something 90% of the time than do a really strong hit half of the time. MA comes third because with all those electric debuffs and as water/elec, damage shouldn't even be a problem. DP & HV are last.

---

Since you're 194, the next available set of altiverse eq will be @ 200, either opt for that and skip this mine pq(even though the exp is nice, it's not worth the frustration) or go farm for a cheap 3s twist shield. DP & LK helms should never be an option for a SM UNLESS:
Quote:
If you're seriously just flat broke and dying everywhere, skip the MA hat and go for a helmet. Comp LK on it and try to refine it when possible for the DP boost. ;0;
Just read this and see if it helps.

And as I've said before, the guard breaks are pretty nasty, so even with all your new upgraded HP and DP eq, it won't help much. The real thing to do here is to fight carefully and master your space!

EDIT: Pets should always be slotted with MA in PvM. Unless you're running a special build or have some kind of circumstance.

Last edited by Almora; 07-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.

07-08-2012   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almora
I couldn't fathom why this topic existed until you said those things I bolded in underline.

Here's my take on it, having been through this.

1. Which mine PQ are you doing?

It is, indeed, Black Swamp, and it's driving me nuts. I'm doing pretty well with about everything else, been doing Episode 3 and 4 quests lately, and that worked out fine.
It's mostly the mine quests that frustrate me to no end, really, since they eat my health in one or two blows and just leave me dying more than once on just one monster sometimes.

Quote:
If it's at black swamp, then you're probably dying a lot because:

-You haven't gotten undine's space yet.
-Those Guard Mons have guard break, deadly to ALL characters, no matter how haxed out(or not) in MS you are.
-Fighting the wrong way.

a) I haven't gotten Undine's Garden yet. I wish I did, haven't been able to find the card yet, though, and nobody's selling it. I'm still looking for it, really. ;<

b) Guard break. Hell, yeah.... I guess my biggest issue is that i'm leveling together with my friend who's got a Priest - SoH + Light Shield => doesn't die, no matter where we go. That gets very frustrating.

c) I totally get your point in freezing / stunning the monsters, that's what I'm doing most of the time. Problems there are the sheer amounts of monsters, for one, and the missing rate of shard, on the other hand. I don't even know if it's because of my Luk (something around 220), or because of the naturally low hit rate of the skill. A friend who's water/elec told me she misses a lot with it, as well.

Quote:
HP is the most important because it's easy to stack and will keep you alive. LK comes second because I'd rather be able to hit something 90% of the time than do a really strong hit half of the time. MA comes third because with all those electric debuffs and as water/elec, damage shouldn't even be a problem. DP & HV are last.

Sounds very reasonable to me, I'll try to keep that in mind.
So HP will be first in the near future, since my 15k don't seem to come in handy as long as monsters deal more than 10k per hit..
How much LK would be advisable for around Lv 200 in your opinion? Just to have something to go for. (HP, too?)

Quote:
Just read this and see if it helps.

That did help a lot, thank you very much!
Didn't see that before, it was just what I was looking for.

07-08-2012   #18 (permalink)
R
te amo
Games
Trickster OnlineCabal OnlineDivine SoulsElsword
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

R has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to R

The amount of LK you have is enough for your level. I use around 250 only and I'm level 400. You'll only need more while on the higher floors at Tower of Chaos, fighting Queen Odinea, Soki, and I think(?) the mine monsters at Techichi.

Shard also has a 10% chance of failing, no matter your LK.

07-08-2012   #19 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

Quote:
c) I totally get your point in freezing / stunning the monsters, that's what I'm doing most of the time. Problems there are the sheer amounts of monsters, for one, and the missing rate of shard, on the other hand. I don't even know if it's because of my Luk (something around 220), or because of the naturally low hit rate of the skill. A friend who's water/elec told me she misses a lot with it, as well.

Sounds very reasonable to me, I'll try to keep that in mind.
So HP will be first in the near future, since my 15k don't seem to come in handy as long as monsters deal more than 10k per hit..
How much LK would be advisable for around Lv 200 in your opinion? Just to have something to go for. (HP, too?)
When I had my dragon eqs at level 180, which is pretty much all MS compared to you, I had like 240+ LK. The only reason why you and your friend is missing quite a bit is probably you both were unlucky and kept rolling that fixed 10% miss rate from shard from time to time. And yeah, shard takes a crazy amount of luck compared to other skills around your level, and has an abnormally higher luck threshold req than any of them.

All I can say is that aim for 300 luck in general PvE(400 for CT) and you'll do fine. As for your level, you pretty much have the right requirements at the 190 range, you're good. As you get higher near endgame, you should aim for a general 20-25k HP(can be less if you have tons of MA or if you don't boss), 300+ LK, ~3k DP and 100-ish HV.

07-08-2012   #20 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Allure
Class: Priest
Level: 90

If you don't mind grinding, CT 44 works great for SMs. Get a party and the spawn rate goes berserk. I soloed whenever possible, as well. Wind/earth SM here. I had an altiverse twist shield and and staff (upgraded both when I leveled, but I honestly didn't need to as I was still ohkoing there) and did CT 44 until 238, which is what I am now. So going on 100 levels almost on the same CT floor. The mobs have low AC and if you really want the experience, grinding is a good option.

I just refined the shield to about 5 or so (don't recall) and the staff went all the way to 9 without breaking @_@ but the MA req at CT mobs is really low still at 44 (I was way overkilling). It's a great alternative to questing if you don't mind grinding, but at that point it becomes preference.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
League of Legends Queen Nimera, Level 20
New Leaf/Pokemon XY 4511 - 0825 - 1589