/gg FTW! Lurker

Elywood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Elywood
IGN: EIywood
Class: Magus
Level: 37 (201)
Guild: Cor Leonis
Default The Path of the Magus

To start things off, magus is just another word for mage. It's Latin, and I'm quite fond of Latin myself. Anyways, let's get back on track here.

//Character Creation

Now, there is really only one choice during character creation that may affect your character's ability to become a magus: age.
  • If you have access to NX cash, and can rebirth yourself often, select age 17
  • If you do not have access to NX cash, and cannot rebirth yourself, select age 10
The reason for those choices is simple--at age 10, you gain no Intelligence at age ups or level ups. You do, however, gain more AP from aging up than any other age. If you cannot rebirth, choosing this will enable you to learn more or higher leveled skills.

At age 17, you only gain 3 AP at your age up, but you gain Intelligence every level up and age up. Intelligence is the deciding stat for a magus, as I'm sure you know. Intelligence affects spell damage, spell damage balance, and maximum MP. If you don't have much Intelligence, you won't do much damage. I suggest always selecting age 17 if you can rebirth, because AP won't be a problem with constant rebirths, and at this age you can keep your Intelligence high.

If you start at age 17, you get +2 Intelligence every time you age up. In addition, you gain +0.75 Intelligence every time you level up. Your Intelligence stat won't appear as a decimal--it's rounded down on your character page.

Example:

Unreborn Age 17 Skill-less Human
Level 1 -- 17 INT (17.00)
Level 2 -- 17 INT (17.75)
Level 3 -- 18 INT (18.50)
Level 4 -- 19 INT (19.25)
Level 5 -- 20 INT (20.00)

In parentheses you see the actual value. Outside of parentheses are what the Character page in-game would say based on your level.

//Skills

Next, you'll want to know what skills you should take. I have separated skills from spells, so do not be alarmed when you don't see a spell on this list.
  • Smash (Rank F) 1 AP
  • Counter (Rank C) 18 AP
  • Defense (Rank F) 0 AP
  • Rest (Rank F) 0 AP
  • Campfire (Rank F) 0 AP
  • Meditation (Rank F) 2 AP
  • Windmill (Rank F) 3 AP
  • First Aid (Rank F) 1 AP

Note: Counter can be left at Rank F. The reason I suggest Rank C is because at Rank C, the Stamina loss is cut in half.
Note: Windmill is optional. I find windmill to be very useful in certain situations.

Most of those skills should be covered by your quests, the only exceptions being Meditation and Windmill.

To get Windmill, talk to Ranald at the school in Tir Chonaill about Skills.

To get Meditation, talk to Stewart in the school in Dunbarton about Skills using the the Noob Elemental Master title. This title is obtained by having Icebolt, Firebolt, and Lightning Bolt at least at Rank F.

To get First Aid, receive medical treatment from Dilys in Tir Chonaill's Healer's House.

//Spells

Now we're getting to the bread and butter of any good magus--the spells. There are three basic offensive spells, and which one you decide to focus in is up to you.
  • Icebolt
  • Firebolt
  • Lightning Bolt

Each spell is different in its own right. They each have different strengths and weaknesses, and are each possessing their own practical applications.

Icebolt is the most basic of the three, but that's not to say it's the weakest. Icebolt is the fastest spell, and has the longest range. It can be charged up to 5 times, at which point you may shoot it 5 times. The damage and MP cost increases with higher ranks, while the cast time decreases. Icebolt is immaculately useful due to tactics such as Icecounter and Icestun.

Firebolt is potentially the strongest of the three. It's the slowest charging spell, and it has a wide variety of practical uses. It can be charged 5 times, but only shot once. Each charge increases the size and damage of the firebolt. At 5 charges, it deals 2.5x the base damage of your firebolt. The damage and MP cost increases with higher ranks, while the cast time decreases. Firebolt is my suggested spell, as it always knocks the target back, making it useful for monsters of any shape and size. Firebolt is useful in tactics like Firecounter and Firespam.

Lightning Bolt is the least used of the three. It's cast time is slow in comparison to icebolt, but fast in comparison to firebolt. It can be charged 5 times, but only shot once. If charged two times or more and shot at only one monster, it will knock back the targetted monster, provided it doesn't possess special defense against magic. Each charge adds to the number of monsters it can hit with one shot, but also decreases the damage the bolt deals. The damage and MP cost increases with higher ranks, while the cast time decreases. Lightning Bolt is used to deal quick, strong attacks, as it has a wide damage range. It also seems to have a higher critical rate, making it ideal to deal quick, painful blows to an enemy. It stuns the enemy for longer than icebolt, making it useful in tactics such as Lightningcounter and Lightningstun.

It is also important to know that ranking any spell will add to your Intelligence.

//Spell Ranking

You'll be wondering which spells to rank first. I do not recommend ranking each spell evenly. That's not helpful. You'll need strong spells as soon as possible for decent leveling. I recommend that you rank only one skill at a time. I focused on Firebolt first, and then Icebolt, but it really doesn't matter. Firebolt is good if you have lots of mana, Icebolt is good if you need faster cast time.

//Equipment

Everyone needs to know what kind of gear to use, and here's what I suggest you aim for.
  • Kite Shield
  • Hatchet/Bipennis/Dagger/Blacksmith Hammer
  • Claymore
  • Honorable Wooden Sword
  • Will O' the Wisp Tork's Merchant Cap

Let me explain why I've chosen what I have.

Kite Shields give a +35 Defense bonus whilst defending, and grant you immunity to the brunt of Magnum Shot--during Defense, of course.

Hatchets, Bipennises, Daggers, or even Blacksmith Hammers --all of those have high critical rates. Your magic critical rate is based on your cumulative critical stat, and that's based on your Will, Luck, and weapon crit rate. Someone may be laughing at me about the Blacksmith Hammer, but honestly, ~800g for a 25% crit rate weapon? Go for it.

Claymores are useful in case you ever need to melee something, or if you're doing one of the Counter tactics. Claymores have high minimum and maximum attack rates, and can be upgraded to have over 25% crit rate. The only downside is they're rather expensive to purchase and maintain.

Honorable Wooden Swords are a reward from Fiodh Intermediate for One. Wooden Swords in themselves are nice weapons, reaching about 19-31 damage with 16% crit. The Honorable enchant grants quite a few nice magus bonuses, including a +12 Intelligence bonus for having Icebolt Rank 9 or above.

Will O' the Wisp Tork's Merchant Caps are dropped by Wisps on a low chance. The hat itself is trivial, but the enchantment is useful for a magus. It gives you a few bonuses to Will, MaxMP, and Intelligence, all dependent on the ranks of the few basic spells.

//Training Places

A few people will ask me where they should train, so here's what I suggest.
  • Ciar Beginner/Normal
  • Rabbie Normal/Basic
  • Rundal Normal

Ciar Beginner is easy enough for anyone. You should net some nice experience if you learn to do this efficiently. The Golem is easy if you can Fire/Icecounter him, but watch out for his stomp. The difference in Ciar Normal is that the monsters are a bit stronger, and like to multiaggro a lot more. Also, the Golem is paired with a few Metal Skeletons, and the Golem's a bit stronger himself.

Rabbie Normal is extremely easy for anyone who's proficient with Icecounter. The monsters here are all Skeletons, for the most part, and none of them multiaggro. The Succubus is very easy if you have Firebolt, in which case you can use Firespam to eliminate her. The only problem you should have are the Skeleton Wolves, as those are a bit faster. Rabbie Basic is just as easy as Rabbie Normal, but it's a little longer, and the skeletons are a lot stronger. The Red Succubus in here isn't much stronger. Firespam will take her out as well.

Note: If you collect all of the fomors in Rabbie Normal/Basic, you can make upwards of 10-12k a run, and even 50k a run in Rabbie Basic.

Rundal Normal is VERY nice experience if you have mastered Icecounter. The monsters here are all easily Icecountered, except for the Flying Swords. For Flying Swords, you'll want to pull out that Claymore I told you about and melee them, because they tend to full heal when you use magic other than Firebolt on them. Yes, that means you can alternately use Firespam on them. The boss here is the Cyclops, and even he is easy to Icecounter.

//Tactics

All this guide I've been talking about things like Icecounter, Firespam, and the like. Well, this is where I explain those.

Icecounter -- Simple and effective on most monsters. First, charge up two icebolts. Approach the target and hit him with both bolts, then immediately activate counter. By the time the monster is through being stunned, he'll come attack you and be countered. As soon as you see your character begin to counter, start casting icebolt again. Once the monster stands up again, hit him with the icebolt and put up counter. Repeat the last two parts again until it's dead. Note: Do not use icecounter on monsters with Mana Refractor. (When they glow blue and it makes a little "ting!" noise.) The monster will avoid getting stunned and come own you in the face. Also, do not use this in the middle of monsters that multi aggro.

Icestun-- The purpose of Icestun is to keep a monster suppressed with Icebolts while your partner, if you have one, uses Smash or something on them. This is particularly useful on Cyclops, in Rundal Normal. To do an Icestun tactic, it is suggested that you have at least Rank 9 Icebolt. Icestun is performed by charging Icebolt 5 times, then hitting the monster with all 5 icebolts. Once that's done, you charge one icebolt, hit the monster, and charge another, hit the monster, etc. Repeat until your partner has killed it. Note: This is only for use on monsters who do not suffer knockback from icebolt. Examples of this are Werewolves or the Cyclops.

Firecounter -- Similar to icecounter, but instead, you'll be utilizing firebolt. First, charge firebolt. Any level will do, just make sure you have a good amount of mana left. Approach the monster and throw the bolt at him. As soon as your character throws their hand to the side for the animation, activate counter. The enemy will come hit you, and get countered. Once again, as soon as you see your character begin to counter, start casting firebolt again. You may immediately hit the monster with the bolt. You don't have to wait because the same glitch doesn't happen with firebolt. Repeat the last two parts until it's dead. Note: Only use this on monsters with Mana Refractor--firebolt forces a knockdown on the monster. They'll take minimal damage, but if done correctly, you'll take no damage, so it's an even trade. Also, do not use this in the middle of monsters that multi aggro.

Firespam -- Firespam is repeatedly using Firebolt to keep an enemy away from you. Because Firebolt throws the enemy back, it is useful when you don't want the enemy coming close. To do a Firespam, charge Firebolt 5 times, then hit the enemy with it. While the enemy is thrown back, charge Firebolt once, throw it at the enemy, and charge another one. Repeat until the enemy in question is dead.

Lightningcounter -- It's just like Icecounter, but with Lightning Bolt instead.

Lightningstun -- It's just like Icestun, but is also useful on monsters who tend to suffer knockback from magic.

//Bonus Intelligence

You can get INT from more than just spells. You can gain INT by ranking the following skills:
  • Composing
  • Magic Mastery (Only above Rank A)
  • Musical Knowledge
  • Cooking
  • Enchanting
  • Potion Making
  • Herbalism

Also, certain foods, such as Apples or Berries will give you an Intelligence bonus if you eat them all the time.

//Closer

That's all I can think of for right now. I'll add more when I think of something else.

Oh, for anyone who's interested, (yeah right) a male magus is called a magi, while a female magus is called a maga. Magus is a word possessing no gender, and is thus used when not referring to any specific gender.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-13-2008   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

A nice start. You might also want to point out that the best age range for gaining INT after a level-up starts at 13. It starts out at 0.25 per level then slowly increases per year until 22 where it hits 1 per level, then it starts to decrease back to 0.25 as you approach 25.

EDIT: I was referencing the wrong chart on that wiki. Still, the correct chart is on the same page and the concept is similar.

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

Last edited by fieryshadowcard; 08-14-2008 at 07:06 PM.

08-13-2008   #3 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Ah. I didn't know that. My experience with age-based stat gains is almost nonexistent, because I'm usually always 17-20.

08-13-2008   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about

You can check this link for stat growth strategies that might interest pure Mages if you like. It also might give you insights into the more magically-inclined Elves and not-so-magically-inclined Giants when they come out, if you also plan to expand this guide by race.

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-13-2008   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Marvelously useful. Thank you.

08-13-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

HeadSpinning is on a distinguished road

I'd like to point out that you left out advanced magics, which are probably the best beginning (combo beginners) to use.

08-13-2008   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
I'd like to point out that you left out advanced magics, which are probably the best beginning (combo beginners) to use.
I left them out because this was mainly a guide on how to get started as a magus. Once they're at the point where they can learn advanced magics, they can decide which ones they want.

I just took both Fireball and Thunder. \o/ I'll get Ice Spear when it comes out, too. So they don't really have to choose until later, IF they choose.

08-14-2008   #8 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

I'd like to point out, that even though you get an INT gain from ages 17-20 for aging and leveling, the INT is not permanent if you rebirth. I recommend going to age 10 always, for the much larger AP gain per age. It makes it much easier to rank your spells and other skills, which is where most of your stats are going to come from anyway.

08-14-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarbage
I'd like to point out, that even though you get an INT gain from ages 17-20 for aging and leveling, the INT is not permanent if you rebirth. I recommend going to age 10 always, for the much larger AP gain per age. It makes it much easier to rank your spells and other skills, which is where most of your stats are going to come from anyway.
I never implied that starting at 10 wasn't best. D:

Although, I must admit that I gave wrong information from the charts. The one I referenced was the bonus stats per age, but that's not the one I meant. I intended to point out the chart below that, which involves the stat growth per level.

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that while rebirthing/starting down at 10 is definitely the best thing for AP, it might be a better idea to hold off on leveling if you don't plan to rebirth (again) for awhile as far as INT is concerned. A Magic-intensive character could begin training at Age 13 to start seeing returns from INT, but a really devoted Mage would occupy themselves until Age 21 (goodness, that's almost 3 months) so that they gain some easy INT per level due to attaining the max INT-per-level growth at that Age. Holding off till 21 means that leveling from 1-30 equals 30 INT, as opposed to leveling at 10-12 (0 additional INT by 30), 13-14 (7.5 INT by 30), 15-16 (15 INT by 30), or 17-20 (22.5 INT by 30). Furthermore, each year after 20 slowly filters down, so you get smaller returns, but in reverse, when it is actually much harder to gain enough experience per level.

But, that's for someone particularly anal about getting the best stats for a particular focus.

Last edited by fieryshadowcard; 08-14-2008 at 07:08 PM.

08-14-2008   #10 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin

I still feel that the most devoted players, of ANY particular battle style, should rebirth to age 10, to maximize AP, which maximizes skills, and ultimately determines all of your stats. All stats gained from leveling and aging are temporary, but AP and skills are permanent, making them more prominent for gameplay.

08-14-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarbage
I still feel that the most devoted players, of ANY particular battle style, should rebirth to age 10, to maximize AP, which maximizes skills, and ultimately determines all of your stats. All stats gained from leveling and aging are temporary, but AP and skills are permanent, making them more prominent for gameplay.
And I agreed with you. My point was "Rebirth to 10, but if you don't plan to rebirth again for awhile, then level later."

08-14-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Although true that the majority of your INT will come from spells and skills, I still find that people my level with my skill ranks still manage to ask me why I have 40+ more INT than them, and my answer's usually the same--age 17. Granted, AP is very important, but when you rebirth every three weeks (as I'm guilty of) you don't hurt for AP as much. (But I am rather biased--I never liked 10 year old characters. >_>)

08-14-2008   #13 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

True Ely, but the extra aging AP is always just a great little thing (at least, in my opinion). I don't really like tall characters, so we're both biased. xD

08-15-2008   #14 (permalink)
a.k.a. Nyekun

Paul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nice

Hmm.. you could always add the FireIce/Lighting Counter Method as well...

Anyways, as already said above, Rb'ithing at age 10 is the most beneficial, from what i can see, any other age would be quite a waste of time. The only time i would ever recommend getting an older character is for the titles.

Anyways, you could always add to your guide a decent list of possible enchants to use, you have 2 but they're not exactly listed correctly... You can easily extract Will o Wisp and put it onto any equip, honorable can be used on Accessories but require Rank A prefix thus making them probably the hardest INT equip right now, you can also enchant "Prophetic" which add's 11 int if your enchant rank is A onto your Honorable Blade giving a total of 23 Int for 1 weapon. The Honorable Accessory can also become an easy 13+ int, even 20+ if you manage to get the right stuff. But basic INT enchants would be Considerate and Understanding.

My Anime List / Playstation Network - Niikun

08-20-2008   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Hmm.. you could always add the FireIce/Lighting Counter Method as well...

Anyways, as already said above, Rb'ithing at age 10 is the most beneficial, from what i can see, any other age would be quite a waste of time. The only time i would ever recommend getting an older character is for the titles.

Anyways, you could always add to your guide a decent list of possible enchants to use, you have 2 but they're not exactly listed correctly... You can easily extract Will o Wisp and put it onto any equip, honorable can be used on Accessories but require Rank A prefix thus making them probably the hardest INT equip right now, you can also enchant "Prophetic" which add's 11 int if your enchant rank is A onto your Honorable Blade giving a total of 23 Int for 1 weapon. The Honorable Accessory can also become an easy 13+ int, even 20+ if you manage to get the right stuff. But basic INT enchants would be Considerate and Understanding.
Again... this guide was intended for beginners. I didn't get too in depth about how to really pile on the INT because I personally haven't worried about it too much myself. I hit 216 INT with just my little Honorable blade and my Will o Wisp hat.

Also, I'll be unable to respond for the next three weeks:
Shameless use of guild forum for explanation.

That should tell you why. @_@ I'll be back as soon as I can.