ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Lunia Wiki (http://ggftw.com/forum/lunia-wiki/)
-   -   Just a few things about Lunia's wiki (http://ggftw.com/forum/lunia-wiki/27529-just-few-things-about-lunias-wiki.html)

Aironique 11-11-2008 09:11 PM

Just a few things about Lunia's wiki

So, I've flicked through the wiki's pages in the past few days, taking notes on a few changes I'd like to make, and I think it could use a massive overhaul. I've already started to add content to the cash shop page, but as I did a lot of it last night, I figured I'd ask opinions about what we should do overall. Right now it seems like there are no set standards on the Lunia wiki, and wiki standards are a must for a successful wiki. I don't want to barge in on what people are already working on, step on any toes or anything, so I'm asking opinions. :p

1) Should items get their own pages? I ask this because the item pages now are massive, and even with the Table of Contents, it's a big hassle to have to scroll down a huuuuge page to look at one thing. I'm thinking yes, and I personally wouldn't mind working on it over the next few weeks. The pages that are there now could just be the Category pages, with 'all' of the information included there. Items are soo much easier to find when they have specific pages, mostly because when you search for them word for word, the page comes up instantly.

2) A page deletion requests page on the front page for Lunia's wiki would be a good thing, I think, so the sysops/bureaucrats (if there are bureaucrats here) will have an easier time finding useless/dead pages and getting rid of them completely, because no one likes empty pages. >.> This is especially necessary when building a wiki from the bottom up... and while there is already a mound of information on Lunia's wiki, it's still in the early stages and needs a lot of work.

3) A link to the current Templates being used would probably be a good idea, mostly so new wiki editors can know what template they need to use on a specific page. Templates make changing one little detail on each page it's used on ooohhhh so much easier. I love them almost as much as Categories.

I had more on my mind before work, but I forgot most of it at work, so I'll try to remember later. That all being said, if anyone needs any help with wiki editing, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll tutor anyone that's never used one before in using it, if it helps the wiki grow to it's full potential.

Also, if there's any specific projects people have in mind for tackling, I'm all in for it. I have a list in my head of what I want to do, already, but I'm all for teaming up on this beast.

Comments? Questions? <sarcasm>Flames?</sarcasm, or in pm, I can handle it, I'm a big boy> :jj:

MisterEff 11-11-2008 09:16 PM

wutever u need me to do air just let me know, i r kinda new to the whole wiki thing, but i catch on fairly quick.... also since when can we flame and not get in trouble, it seems as though your setting someone up and that is not kosher, rofl.

Aironique 11-11-2008 09:32 PM

I'll edit that post with sarcasm tags. :P

Anyways, right now, I'm working on the cash shop page. I thought I could do it quickly, but I'm not 'great' with templating and couldn't tinker with a way to do it faster in tables, like I have it set up. I could run you through a quick tutorial on how to set up those pages, after you go in and look at the page I have relatively 'finished', here. I might go in and change a few things, but this the basic layout I think will work for the time being.

Aside from that, the best way to start working on the wiki is clicking on the links on the front page of it and taking note of things that just look crappy, for the lack of a better word, aesthetically... or are really cluttered and lack information. If you see something like that, let me know, and I'll help you get started.

Kudaranai 11-11-2008 10:02 PM

MyMMOGames.net - Multiplayer Gaming and Media Community - User Unregistered Chatting on #mymmogames@irc.rizon.net:6667 or click the Chat button in the bar above. Someone's always there to help if you need anything.

1. You can browse around and see how other games wiki are organized. Most of the featured games are organized in the same ways (..probably because the same people work on them `-`)

2. I wouldn't worry about that right now. Things get clean up as we go.

3. There are some tuts posted of things that are needed (Though, I think there's one for LaTale, but none for Lunia) But if you take a look at completed pages, you'll catch on quick.

Just remember, if you need help, you can catch us on IRC.

Catharsis 11-11-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

sysops/bureaucrats
We have sysops; I don't know about bureaucrats. Don't worry, you don't have to walk on egg shells around here.

Sysops: Medoria, Chesters, Zegridathes
Dori and Ches are usually on IRC (see Kuda's link); Zeg is in the forum somewhere being a ninja...

NoeJeko 11-11-2008 10:17 PM

I'm currently the only bureaucrat for the wiki; most permissions are handled automatically by the SSO system.

adipiciu 11-11-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aironique (Post 569900)

2) A page deletion requests page on the front page for Lunia's wiki would be a good thing, I think, so the sysops/bureaucrats (if there are bureaucrats here) will have an easier time finding useless/dead pages and getting rid of them completely, because no one likes empty pages. >.> This is especially necessary when building a wiki from the bottom up... and while there is already a mound of information on Lunia's wiki, it's still in the early stages and needs a lot of work.

There is already a category for articles marked for deletion. This category is curently for all the games. Check here: Category: Delete But you can make another category just for Lunia.

Aironique 11-11-2008 10:38 PM

Thanks for the information. Just not used to multiple wikis hosted from one 'wiki'. Takes getting used to, I was almost afraid to start editing at first. The only thing I'm used to is creating the wiki from scratch, putting enough content in to draw more editors in. :p

I guess my only question now is does anyone care if I go nuts on the Lunia wiki? I don't mean tear it apart, obviously, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes that is currently working on it and has standards set in mind already. I know a few people were working on it a few weeks ago, but the activity in this forum subsection went dead from what I saw, and I don't know what anyone else is working on there.

(thanks for the link, adipiciu... I swear, I looked all over for one, but could not find it)

Also, an EDIT: I totally did not mean the ENTIRE wiki in first post. Just the Lunia section. Most of the wikis for other games seem to be well-rounded... Just wondering if Lunia wiki-editors have some input to share. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:

Don't worry, you don't have to walk on egg shells around here.
Phew, I've been some places where I've made one 'good' edit, or at least what I thought was beneficial, and got reamed for it. I was only worried about it because A) This place has been around for a while, and has a solid community of people who have done things a specific way, and B) Because I'm brand spanking new at it. I'll gladly spend 4-5 hours a day fixing pages on the LU Wiki, as well as other games I get into, if I have no proverbial leash from doing it. :p

Oh... I did check out the other games' wikis, and gleaned a few ideas from it, as well as my own wiki. I dunno. I like pages for each item for categorization purposes. Eh.

Kudaranai 11-11-2008 10:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about stepping on anyone's toe, since it's more of a collaboration thing.

Aironique 11-11-2008 10:47 PM

Well... I meant in the way that people might have something going right now, and I don't want to 'change' what they want or have there, I suppose. If that makes any sense. Just trying to collaborate with people who're already working on it.

Last thing I want to do is screw things up that people have already worked on. You understand.

m1s3ri 11-11-2008 11:27 PM

If you're willing to do nice item pages, I seriously doubt anyone will have a problem with that. Mob pages too, if you like. Most of the stuff in the Lunia wiki is leftovers from ML or even LF that I was never happy with; I pretty much gave up trying to make a fresh start after the LF wiki got imported over the ML wiki stuff that I was originally working on.

The skill tables are pretty much the only thing that I'm fairly satisfied with as far as being not-disgustingly-ugly and sorta-kinda up-to-date (and even then, not all of them); I think Rumah might be trying to get stuff going with the stage sections but I don't think he's really making much progress in the way of format since he's new to wiki editing.

Sephie 11-12-2008 01:11 PM

I think a more organized monster & item list would be nice, but I'm too busy trying to finish Yuki's skills (Which I'll probably move to a new page and then start Krieg's page) to sort through everything.
I could go find out what sections need lots of working on for people who have the time to. Heh.
Also since this is wiki related: For un-released character skills, would it be alright to guess the names and whatnot? Since that's what I've been doing for Yuki's skills, seeing as there were none listed and I'm a fail translator.

Chesters 11-12-2008 01:43 PM

Generally, how I like to keep things is, indepth/seperate pages for each item, with one page usually with a chart of all similar types. (Like a swords chart that will show their stats compared to eachother, and such.)

If you have any other questions or want to check some things before doing, please ask. Also, I can help with templates, if you ever need help. (making, changing, updating, help with using, etc. @_@)

/short response but I think most of the other questions were answered sufficently already

Soryn 11-12-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1s3ri (Post 570113)
The skill tables are pretty much the only thing that I'm fairly satisfied with as far as being not-disgustingly-ugly and sorta-kinda up-to-date (and even then, not all of them); I think Rumah might be trying to get stuff going with the stage sections but I don't think he's really making much progress in the way of format since he's new to wiki editing.

I haven't been doing anything with the stage sections just yet. I actually went over to the Eir skills and when looking at them I saw they were totally out of date. I updated them, added some descriptions etc.

While looking around though I found we didn't even have a Dacy skill page at all. I started working on that a little bit, and got Helper to help with it. So far I've finished Doll skills, and he's working on Sewing skills as I type this post out. So yea, we need to make Dacy a skill page, update the skill pages of other classes, and then maybe work on Kreig, Yuki, and Arien. After that I'll try to do the stage stuff.

Medoria 11-12-2008 05:08 PM

As far as the deletion of pages go, if you find a page that needs to be deleted just add it to the "delete" category. This goes for any of the wiki parts, not just lunia.

Aironique 11-12-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesters (Post 570898)
Generally, how I like to keep things is, indepth/seperate pages for each item, with one page usually with a chart of all similar types. (Like a swords chart that will show their stats compared to eachother, and such.)

This.

That's what I'm used to. I think my worries are alleviated. Thank you. I'll jump in from the high-dive now.