Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-15-2008   #1 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Router Problems

So. Since my family insists on having the router to allow wireless access to them since they're all over the house, I have some problems occasionally. The router works fine for the most part; at least, it works better than the last one.

However, if it is plugged in, to actually get into Lunia, I have to open it, try entering a server, fail that, wait an unknown amount of time before I can log in. After that, the same thing happens with the party list. If I open it, it lags my Lunia for a while while it tries to connect, fails, and shows an empty list. Then I wait a bit and then that works.

The same thing applies to some websites, too. And this never happens when the modem is plugged directly into the computer so I can only assume it's something with the router's settings. However, I am not all too well versed in that sense. I know how to get to the settings for routers, but other than that, I don't know many of the different settings and how that'd affect me.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-15-2008   #2 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+

I have a router now that I switched ISPs and I can tell it causes some issues with my connection.

I would suggest making yourself a static IP. Explained here...
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Once you've set your own IP. I'd say port forward all the ports related to Lunia, Ijji, purplebean that you can get your hands on as well as making your new static IP a DMZ host on your router. It essentially makes you block near to nothing.

The setting for DMZ host is usually under firewall settings or perhaps security. I use a Actiontec MI-424-WR which was supplied by Verizon FIOS when I switched and your router settings window varies from model to model. (I was quite pleased with the amount of customization on my router)

You can find your model on the router, once you have it you can look up port forwarding here... (Same site)
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Lunia isn't available on the game list but you can just use another as an example if you are not familiar with port forwarding.

I still lag in Lunia so yeah... but I imagine that is a Verizon to ijji thing.

11-15-2008   #3 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Having DMZ enabled might causes some issues to other person that shared the connection, tho.

Best thing is try some network monitoring tool or just netstat and port forward those ports.

11-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

what results do you get from speedtest?

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

11-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
what results do you get from speedtest?
With router:
1555 kbps download
435 kbps upload
28 ms ping

Without router:
1539 kbps download
434 kbps upload
26 ms ping

So relatively the same. Like I said, when the router is plugged in, it just seems to not be able to access certain websites or servers and whatnot. Which is better than the last router which just totally cut off the internet occasionally.

I believe my ISP did mention something about PPPOE while we were trying to get the internet set up, but that created the same situation as without PPPOE and in the end we just used default settings on the router and it worked. So the tech person said bye and hung up.